Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 18, 2024, 3:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To what extent is a rape victim responsible for the crime?
RE: To what extent is a rape victim responsible for the crime?
(September 27, 2013 at 8:43 pm)Gilgamesh Wrote: Let's sit everyone down and tell them not to commit potential atrocities.

Why not? We're basically warned about plagiarism systematically in every single course that involves writing, and cheating in every single course that involves exams. Multiple times. If it's worth it to do it for these academic offences, why not for offences that people do commit in moments of rage/impulse?

If you're not being sarcastic then nvm.
(September 27, 2013 at 8:47 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote:
(September 27, 2013 at 8:43 pm)Gilgamesh Wrote: Let's sit everyone down and tell them not to commit potential atrocities.

Why not? We're basically warned about plagiarism systematically in every single course that involves writing, and cheating in every single course that involves exams. Multiple times. If it's worth it to do it for these academic offences, why not for offences that people do commit in moments of rage/impulse?

Not being sarcastic. But what if instead of everyone, we sit down just the women in society and tell them not to commit a certain crime? It'd be almost like we're saying no woman is any better than to commit whatever such crime we decide to tell them not to commit.

I hope that answers your question as to why we don't tell all men not to rape outright.
Why don't we tell everyone not to violate anyone else's body then. The point is though, right now something like that IS happening - but to women, and you don't seem to give a fuck. The idea is not to place the burden of rape ONLY on men, but on any individual perpetuating the crime. Not the victims.

And I'm done taking your bait now! Big Grin
(September 27, 2013 at 8:54 pm)Gilgamesh Wrote:
(September 27, 2013 at 8:47 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: Why not? We're basically warned about plagiarism systematically in every single course that involves writing, and cheating in every single course that involves exams. Multiple times. If it's worth it to do it for these academic offences, why not for offences that people do commit in moments of rage/impulse?

Not being sarcastic. But what if instead of everyone, we sit down just the women in society and tell them not to commit a certain crime? It'd be almost like we're saying no woman is any better than to commit whatever such crime we decide to tell them not to commit.

I hope that answers your question as to why we don't tell all men not to rape outright.

Is there a crime that is hurtful to people at the level of rape/assault/battery/murder/theft that is committed by mostly women?
(September 27, 2013 at 8:58 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote:
(September 27, 2013 at 8:54 pm)Gilgamesh Wrote: Not being sarcastic. But what if instead of everyone, we sit down just the women in society and tell them not to commit a certain crime? It'd be almost like we're saying no woman is any better than to commit whatever such crime we decide to tell them not to commit.

Is there a crime that is hurtful to people at the level of rape/assault/battery/murder/theft that is committed by mostly women?
I don't believe there is. Also, if you were to ask me of my opinion, I'd have no problem with what you suppose - that targeting men with anti-rape messages should come to pass.

(September 27, 2013 at 8:57 pm)Psykhronic Wrote: Why don't we tell everyone not to violate anyone else's body then.
Indeed.

Quote:The point is though, right now something like that IS happening - but to women, and you don't seem to give a fuck.
I do. I care about a great many injustices. On the topic of rape, I care both when women are raped, and when men are raped in the prison system.

Quote:And I'm taking your bait now! Big Grin
When I don't agree with someone, I claim troll, too. When a belief I'm emotionally invested in is challenged, I claim troll, too.
I think people should at least do it with their sons. It's not about accusing your son of being a bad person, it's educating them about something they're not familiar about at younger ages.

Anyway I do think any group who is predisposed to commit certain crimes should be reminded that they shouldn't, if not systematically, at least by the people who care about them.
(September 27, 2013 at 8:38 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: I agree with Nora's point way earlier in this post. And I find that the fact the thread has turned into mehmet's instructions for how girls can protect themselves is actually proving the case.

How many of you have ever sat a man down, tell him a few rape stories and how the victims survived it and tell them never to try things like these? Do you tell them don't drink so much that you may accidentally rape someone and not remember? Do you tell them to always ask and if they're not sure never never do it?

Because as a woman many people in my life have taken the liberty to sit me down and tell me how to be careful to prevent rape. I know they do it because they worry but why haven't they done it to men? I see posts on my fb about brutal rape cases and the ending is always: tell all the women you know to not (insert whatever the victim did), because they may increase chances of being raped. It never says: tell all the men you know not to do this.

My parents actually did actually have discussions with me about cheating in school and stealing stuff. They also tell me never to physically attack anybody except in self defence. They told me when I was a child that crime is never worth it and I'll lose everything just for one moment's stupidity. But after reading a few rape testimonials, it's as if the boy only realized after everything that he raped the girl. Many of them didn't realize it was rape. ?!
This is so true. Why aren't we teaching boys from a very young age about this? Many rapists have no idea that what they have done is wrong (but she's my ex-girlfriend! We've done it a hundred times!). And often they DO get reported and prosecuted and now they're labeled a sex criminal forever (I don't know about other countries, but in the US if convicted of a sex crime you have to resister with the police in your area FOREVER.)

I know someone who was just on a Grand Jury, and they had loads of weird sexual assault cases, many of them perpetrated by otherwise good guys (often the girls are shocked that such a nice guy would do this to them), and the Grand Juries feel awful about indicting them and condemning them to lives of being labeled as sexual predators. But they do indict them, no matter what nice guys they otherwise are.

There are many reasons why we need to constantly and explicitly educate boys and men about the need to make absolutely sure your partner is purring like a kitten before and during a sex act.
Part of that may be cultural. It would not surprise me if a majority of men here (in the US), given the example of a husband or boyfriend who forces himself on his wife/girlfriend, would believe that it isn't rape. To them, rape is something that happens in a dark city alley between strangers. When it comes to that form of rape, they may be as sympathetic to the woman and as furious towards the perpetrator as you would hope. But the former is a completely different scenario to them. I do think that explaining to young men what rape encompasses would be very helpful in closing that gap in understanding.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(September 27, 2013 at 9:06 pm)Gilgamesh Wrote: When I don't agree with someone, I claim troll, too. When a belief I'm emotionally invested in is challenged, I claim troll, too.

Really? I don't. What a strange way of going about things. You're on my troll list, has nothing to do with agreeing or being emotionally invested.
Gilgamesh has a very small penis.

Keep that in mind when reading any of his posts, especialy the effect this has on the posts he makes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheney challenger admits to statutory rape: Republicans don't care Rev. Rye 39 2194 May 28, 2021 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Punishment for rape in Turkey? Marry your rapist. Mechaghostman2 2 316 January 23, 2020 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Seven states bar people with a criminal record from receiving victim's compensation Angrboda 34 2482 September 23, 2018 at 5:16 am
Last Post: viocjit
  Are we morally responsible for the making of what we purchase? Coveny 5 1068 March 16, 2018 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: rskovride
  The biggest crime in the history of humanity WinterHold 16 2809 September 22, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  So Trump can insult a Gold Star family, brag about rape, brag about molesting kids NuclearEnergy 23 4960 May 7, 2017 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: scoobysnack
  Anyone notice Blue states tend to me more fiscally responsible? NuclearEnergy 25 3652 March 1, 2017 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Kellyanne Conway says 2 Iraqi refugees responsible for Bowling Green Massacre Cecelia 26 3952 February 3, 2017 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Were social justice warriors responsible for the election outcome? TaraJo 172 19112 December 24, 2016 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Victim Blaming? BrokenQuill92 152 11343 October 4, 2016 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Lek