Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 4:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
joke time
RE: joke time
(November 11, 2021 at 5:18 pm)Oldandeasilyconfused Wrote:
(November 11, 2021 at 9:25 am)Nomad Wrote: Ballyvaughan?  Oh and if the name starts with Bally or Kil, the peson comes first.  Bally means town, so Ballyvaughan is Vaughan's Town and Kil means church, Kilkenny *spit* being Canice's church.

To be funny there is a town called Killaboy, and another called Muff. The latter have a diving club.

I thought it might be that. So it's where my relatives lived possibly centuries (?) ago.

My sis is our historian. She's traced dad's family back 300 years in Clare. Before that they were in Galway, but records are few. It seems our family name may be very old.

Mum's family came from Galway in the late nineteenth century and went to Canada, where they made a fortune.  First in timber, then in Hockey.

Addendum; there was a BBC sitcom set in Ireland, called "BALLYKISSANGEL"

"Ballykissangel is a BBC television drama created by Kieran Prendiville and set in Ireland, produced in-house by BBC Northern Ireland. The original story revolved around a young English Roman Catholic priest as he became part of a rural community. It ran for six series, which were first broadcast on BBC One in the United Kingdom from 1996 to 2001. It aired in Ireland on RTÉ One and in Australia on ABC TV from 1996 to 2001. Repeats have been shown on Drama in the United Kingdom and in the United States on some PBS affiliates."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballykissa...0to%202001.

BallyK wasn’t a sitcom.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 11, 2021 at 7:25 pm)Oldandeasilyconfused Wrote:
(November 11, 2021 at 6:24 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I once shot a man with a paintball gun just to watch him dye.

Boru

Is it true that being hit by a paint ball can actually hurt quite a bit and leave a large bruise?

Yes.
(November 11, 2021 at 8:59 pm)Jackalope Wrote:
(November 11, 2021 at 7:25 pm)Oldandeasilyconfused Wrote: Is it true that being hit by a paint ball can actually hurt quite a bit and leave a large bruise?

Yes.

Most definitely.

But, during a paintball game, no-one expects the bayonet charge.
Dying to live, living to die.
(November 11, 2021 at 9:07 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(November 11, 2021 at 8:59 pm)Jackalope Wrote: Yes.

Most definitely.

Not always so. For instance, if YOU were playing, I’d expect nothing less than a bayonet charge.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 11, 2021 at 9:21 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 11, 2021 at 9:07 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Most definitely.

Not always so. For instance, if YOU were playing, I’d expect nothing less than a bayonet charge.

Boru

Yeeeaaahh, if the Valk was playing, I'd be driving a tank. Doesn't need shooty-shooty stuff, just lots of armor.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(November 11, 2021 at 7:29 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 11, 2021 at 5:18 pm)Oldandeasilyconfused Wrote: I thought it might be that. So it's where my relatives lived possibly centuries (?) ago.

My sis is our historian. She's traced dad's family back 300 years in Clare. Before that they were in Galway, but records are few. It seems our family name may be very old.

Mum's family came from Galway in the late nineteenth century and went to Canada, where they made a fortune.  First in timber, then in Hockey.

Addendum; there was a BBC sitcom set in Ireland, called "BALLYKISSANGEL"

"Ballykissangel is a BBC television drama created by Kieran Prendiville and set in Ireland, produced in-house by BBC Northern Ireland. The original story revolved around a young English Roman Catholic priest as he became part of a rural community. It ran for six series, which were first broadcast on BBC One in the United Kingdom from 1996 to 2001. It aired in Ireland on RTÉ One and in Australia on ABC TV from 1996 to 2001. Repeats have been shown on Drama in the United Kingdom and in the United States on some PBS affiliates."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballykissa...0to%202001.

BallyK wasn’t a sitcom.

Boru

My mistake, I meant to say soap opera.
A handsome man in a suit approaches a young lady at a bar and asks if he can buy her a drink. "Don’t you have a girlfriend?" she asked. "Guys like you always have girlfriends."

He looked downcast, "No, sadly we broke up just over a month ago."

"Oh I'm sorry to hear that," she said, "OK then, I'll have a white wine please."

One glass of wine led to a second. A few drinks later after a kiss and a cuddle they headed off back to her place and made passionate love.

While he was putting his clothes back on she said, "So, you're good looking, a nice guy and amazing in bed. Can I ask why on earth you split with your girlfriend?"

He said, "My wife found out."
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(November 11, 2021 at 7:25 pm)Oldandeasilyconfused Wrote:
(November 11, 2021 at 6:24 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I once shot a man with a paintball gun just to watch him dye.

Boru

Is it true that being hit by a paint ball can actually hurt quite a bit and leave a large bruise?

Pretty sure being shot whilst wearing a vest really smarts. (according to police TV shows)

I started playing paintball in it' s infancy in the mid 1980s. Back then there were no face masks or chest armor - or any armor for that matter.

The only safety gear worn was a pair of shop goggles. I knew guys that lost front teeth from a hit to the mouth. 

Also - back then paintballs would freeze - so cold weather play was not recommended. 

I played many a game in nothing more than jeans, tennis shoes and a t shirt. Fortunately I have a very high tolerance for pain.
A man walking on the beach picks up a bottle and rubs it. Out pops a genie.
“Master, I can grant you any two wishes you desire.”
The man thinks it over for a second and says, “I want to be hard all the time and get all the ass I want.”
“As you wish Master.”
There is a loud poof and the man turns into a toilet seat.
(November 11, 2021 at 9:21 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 11, 2021 at 9:07 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Most definitely.

Boru

Nobody expects the ABBA Inquisition. Our main weapons are fear, surprise and a ruthless efficiency. And a heavy dose of "please don't hurt me".

Why is it the bartender always gets pissed when I tell him I don't have money? 

Why is it the beer truck distributor always calls the police when I drive off with their truck?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No joke -- I have decided to convert to Christianity! Jehanne 10 2358 April 23, 2021 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  A sacred joke. Mystic 15 2830 January 20, 2018 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Big Bang Theory Neil Tyson joke Brian37 1 1511 May 18, 2016 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  There Has To Be A Joke Here, Somewhere! Minimalist 3 2394 October 1, 2014 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  Joke Minimalist 59 17197 June 27, 2014 at 12:25 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  A little joke Sup 11 4349 April 10, 2014 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Evolution (is a) joke JesusLover1 12 9055 March 2, 2014 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Preacher joke 02 Drich 2 1911 February 12, 2014 at 7:15 am
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  Preacher joke 01 Drich 8 4535 January 20, 2014 at 12:31 am
Last Post: Drich
  Make Up An Atheist Joke freedomfromforum 5 2900 October 6, 2013 at 12:30 am