Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 10:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Christians come to atheist forums
RE: Why Christians come to atheist forums
(January 4, 2015 at 4:12 am)psychoslice Wrote: I don't personally beehive in a god, but there is certainly wisdom found in the bible, if you are wise enough to see it.

The so-called wisdom of which you speak that can be found in the bible offered nothing new that was not already known by people.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(January 4, 2015 at 4:15 am)Sionnach Wrote:
(January 4, 2015 at 4:12 am)psychoslice Wrote: I don't personally beehive in a god, but there is certainly wisdom found in the bible, if you are wise enough to see it.

The so-called wisdom of which you speak that can be found in the bible offered nothing new that was not already known by people.

But how do you know that ?.
I think I would have to try really hard to find wisdom in the bible, and all I'm doing is noticing small bits of my wisdom that happen to be there. I have trawl through a whole lot of shit to get there too. [edited]

Which wisdoms do you speak of?

I wish religious people would take your attitude though psycho, taking good things away from the book without having to worship the whole stupid thing.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 4, 2015 at 4:17 am)psychoslice Wrote: But how do you know that ?.

Man wrote it, so obviously man knew it.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(January 4, 2015 at 4:20 am)robvalue Wrote: I think you'd have to try really hard to find wisdom in the bible, and all you're doing is noticing small bits of your own wisdom that happen to be there. You have trawl through a whole lot of shit to get there too.

I wish religious people would take your attitude though psycho, taking good things away from the book without having to worship the whole stupid thing.

Thanks for not being too hard on me, yes there is wisdom in everything, even the news paper, but you have to be wise ti see it.
(January 4, 2015 at 4:20 am)robvalue Wrote: I think you'd have to try really hard to find wisdom in the bible, and all you're doing is noticing small bits of your own wisdom that happen to be there. You have trawl through a whole lot of shit to get there too.

I do think there's wisdom in the Bible. I think the fact that some, or much, of the wisdom was independently discovered in other cultures doesn't demean its value, either.

However, I think there's just as much wisdom to be found pondering the obvious evils detailed in that book, and the obvious contradictions made about its god; because in so doing, I've honed my bullshit detector to a fairly high standard of sharpness.

That's cool Smile I wasn't trying to be hard on you at all, just offering my own perspective. Wisdom isn't a cut and dry thing, and people can find wisdom useful to them all over the place. I personally haven't found any in the bible, but if I did, I wouldn't discard it just because the book is mainly fiction. I mean, it's quite possible to learn things from fiction anyhow. The brain never stops learning. I'm happy to hear people have found some good in the book Smile

Sorry, my last post sounded accusatory, when I wrote "you" I really meant "me" and my experience with looking for wisdom in the bible. I didn't meant to say there is nothing useful to be found. I edited my previous post now to reflect my intended meaning.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
It seems it takes a very self assured type person to be a atheist. The untimate test would be if you continue to hold these beliefs when your world is falling apart.

Perhaps Christians are amused? I am, but not a lot.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
My world has already fallen apart.

Index of my best videos
(January 4, 2015 at 5:25 am)robvalue Wrote: My world has already fallen apart.

Sorry to hear that, I hope things improve.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1355 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13749 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8048 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17686 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Another reason why Christians go to church Alexmahone 40 4828 August 20, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 4108 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15246 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
  If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink vorlon13 11 2745 August 1, 2017 at 12:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? Fake Messiah 52 19251 June 28, 2017 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Why are Christians obsessed with Gay people? Cecelia 109 18442 January 29, 2017 at 1:37 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92