Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 7:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Christians come to atheist forums
RE: Why Christians come to atheist forums
(January 4, 2015 at 4:27 pm)Rhythm Wrote: So, did you get a cape or robe to go with your gift?

[Image: biblemasturbate2.gif]
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(January 4, 2015 at 4:30 pm)abaris Wrote:
(January 4, 2015 at 4:27 pm)Rhythm Wrote: So, did you get a cape or robe to go with your gift?

[Image: biblemasturbate2.gif]

Is it weird that I wouldn't stop?
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
(January 4, 2015 at 3:09 pm)Drich Wrote:
(January 4, 2015 at 12:43 pm)Spooky Wrote: Can you cite one example?

Again if someone comes to me privatly then it is between me and them. I can tell you the ones who comes are generally the fence sitters. Although I have had a few discussions with some hard core types as well.

I wouldn't believe you as far as I could throw you against the wind.

(January 4, 2015 at 5:30 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote:
(January 4, 2015 at 3:09 pm)Drich Wrote: Again if someone comes to me privatly then it is between me and them. I can tell you the ones who comes are generally the fence sitters. Although I have had a few discussions with some hard core types as well.

I wouldn't believe you as far as I could throw you against the wind.

I thought Christians tended to never miss an opportunity to share their conversion story. Thinking

Meh, oh well.
(January 3, 2015 at 5:00 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote: I nominate Pickup_shonuff for best theist. It's sad that atheists are better theists than the theists, but his performance in this thread was very dazzling IMO

I had to kudos that post too. Top job pickup.

Jacob pretty much nailed what I've come to understand of my own addiction. I've joined Christian forums and got very quickly bored. Far more enjoyable, and probably more importantly, far more rewarding is hitting up a discussion with someone with a totally different understanding to yourself.

I've learned heaps from lots of sources, don't get me wrong, but thrashing out ideas in a hostile setting can be fantastic. Nothing focuses the mind more.
(January 4, 2015 at 5:48 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:
(January 3, 2015 at 5:00 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote: I nominate Pickup_shonuff for best theist. It's sad that atheists are better theists than the theists, but his performance in this thread was very dazzling IMO

I had to kudos that post too. Top job pickup.

Jacob pretty much nailed what I've come to understand of my own addiction. I've joined Christian forums and got very quickly bored. Far more enjoyable, and probably more importantly, far more rewarding is hitting up a discussion with someone with a totally different understanding to yourself.

I've learned heaps from lots of sources, don't get me wrong, but thrashing out ideas in a hostile setting can be fantastic. Nothing focuses the mind more.

I hold that my thinking ought to be exposed to strong questioning. If it cannot withstand such scrutiny, how worthy is it of adherence?

Exactly Parker's. My thoughts exactly. Why I'm here etc..
(January 3, 2015 at 3:02 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: I mean, from what I've observed, atheists get really bored on Christian forums, so they leave or get banned. How is it we have so many long-time regular Christians here? Is it their martyr complex?

Obviously every forum is different, but consider these two generalizations:

Any atheist forum at which I've participated is known for being inclusive of all views. You won't get banned so long as you don't spam, threaten, or break other guidelines. You can push an awful lot of woo and still be within the rules of the forum.

Every Christian forum I've joined or read their ToS has stricter rules for what you can and cannot post. Many of them will warn and ban you for simply showing sufficient dissent to their view point. In many of these forums, you cannot be openly atheist. In one forum, it wasn't uncommon for people who were nominally Christian to be flagged as "nonbelievers" (yes, they had a special member group for that) because they weren't the right type of Christian.

The difference is likely inclusivity vs exclusivity.
I don't have a problem with a christian site having christian only members, it's their forum, up to them. But it surprises me that they aren't the least bit interested in challenging themselves, or having discussion. I guess they discuss who is the true christian.

If there's one thing I've learnt since joining this forum, then I should have been paying more attention.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 7, 2015 at 11:03 am)RobbyPants Wrote:
(January 3, 2015 at 3:02 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: I mean, from what I've observed, atheists get really bored on Christian forums, so they leave or get banned. How is it we have so many long-time regular Christians here? Is it their martyr complex?

Obviously every forum is different, but consider these two generalizations:

Any atheist forum at which I've participated is known for being inclusive of all views. You won't get banned so long as you don't spam, threaten, or break other guidelines. You can push an awful lot of woo and still be within the rules of the forum.

Every Christian forum I've joined or read their ToS has stricter rules for what you can and cannot post. Many of them will warn and ban you for simply showing sufficient dissent to their view point. In many of these forums, you cannot be openly atheist. In one forum, it wasn't uncommon for people who were nominally Christian to be flagged as "nonbelievers" (yes, they had a special member group for that) because they weren't the right type of Christian.

The difference is likely inclusivity vs exclusivity.

So...christian forums tend to be a big circle jerk where nobody wants a challenge?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1360 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 14232 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8071 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17691 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Another reason why Christians go to church Alexmahone 40 4842 August 20, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 4116 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15268 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
  If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink vorlon13 11 2749 August 1, 2017 at 12:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? Fake Messiah 52 19425 June 28, 2017 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Why are Christians obsessed with Gay people? Cecelia 109 18460 January 29, 2017 at 1:37 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92