Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 12:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Un-united Kingdom is fucked now
RE: The Un-united Kingdom is fucked now
So...

(Sorry if I'm being stupid)

There's still a chance we might yet stay in the EU?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(June 29, 2016 at 9:02 am)robvalue Wrote: So...

Slim but possible.

UK voted for Brexit – but is there a way back?

Quote:Several scenarios could see the vote overturned, involving either a Labour or Tory prime minister. But all are speculative
(June 29, 2016 at 8:55 am)Ben Davis Wrote: It's currently under review and should be published before the end of the week.

Sadly I'm not allowed to support you.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(June 29, 2016 at 9:18 am)Mathilda Wrote: Slim but possible.

Martin Schulz, president of the European parliament, at least kept the door open in his latest statements.
If ever there was a time to make it happen, it would be now. This is just insane.

If a fair number of leave voters now feel betrayed (any idea how many?) then it wouldn't even be following the majority anymore to go through with this shit because they got conned by some propaganda.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(June 29, 2016 at 9:31 am)abaris Wrote:
(June 29, 2016 at 9:18 am)Mathilda Wrote: Slim but possible.

Martin Schulz, president of the European parliament, at least kept the door open in his latest statements.

The latest from the Guardian reports Nicola Sturgeon’s plea to EU leaders meets with sympathy but little hope

Quote:Several EU diplomats have said the only way for Scotland to be part of the EU would be to become an independent country and reapply for membership, a process estimated to take around five to seven years.

Looks like the EU's position is that it's a domestic matter that we need to sort out ourselves. I don't see why it would take so long to reapply for admission to the EU. After all, we already meet all the criteria for being part of the EU because we're already in it. It's not like we're Turkey. It is worth pointing out that the Guardian has pro-unionist bias, albeit not a strong one. There are calls for Scotland to be fast tracked, for example from Ireland.

Quote:Speaking in an emergency debate called in the Dáil following the referendum on EU membership, Mr Martin said: “We believe that it would be unacceptable for Scotland to be treated as a normal candidate country should it seek to remain a member of the EU.

“It currently implements all EU laws.

“It wouldn’t need to be reviewed for its standards of governance and ability to implement these laws.

“It has a strong administration, a distinct legal system and an absolute commitment to European ideals.
(June 29, 2016 at 9:43 am)robvalue Wrote: If a fair number of leave voters now feel betrayed (any idea how many?) then it wouldn't even be following the majority anymore to go through with this shit because they got conned by some propaganda.

Same happened with the Scottish referendum but the after effects from the markets weren't quite so strong. Politicians are still saying that the Scots have chosen and that the question should never be revisited. But what they ignore is that if the politicians lie then the people cannot make an informed choice. And if they can't do that then not only is a referendum pointless, but the results are meaningless.

There needs to be accountability in British politics. Results need to be overturned if they were obtained through dishonesty.
(June 29, 2016 at 9:44 am)Mathilda Wrote: Looks like the EU's position is that it's a domestic matter that we need to sort out ourselves. I don't see why it would take so long to reapply for admission to the EU. After all, we already meet all the criteria for being part of the EU because we're already in it. It's not like we're Turkey.

No, but make no mistake, leaving the UK would have consequences. Political as well as economical. It al takes time for the dust to settle and to find it's own role in the league of nations. That's what they mean. They would have to deal with a new nation that would have to apply going through the usual channels of admission. But given the general sentiment, I think it's a fair guess, they would go easy on Scotland, and push the occasional economical cookie their way.
(June 29, 2016 at 9:02 am)robvalue Wrote: So...

Yes and the only way is for MPs to hold a Parliamentary debate regarding the conduct of the campaigns and the consequences of the Leave win then vote on enactment of Article 50. Normally, this would be a simple Parliamentary ratification of the referendum results (the official paper-work, if you will) however there's sufficient and growing cause to consider the results as null, given the extensive and continued back-tracking of the Leave campaign against their stated pledges.

I'm not going to lie, my preference is for MPs to vote against it however 2 of the sponsors are Leavers who are disgusted with the way that our government has handled the results and simply wants them to do their bloody jobs!
Sum ergo sum
Oh well, all I can do now is hope that Britain's actual future is considered more important than sticking to the results of a poorly implemented referendum.

Cameron is a prize idiot. I hope he's doing everything in his power to try and correct his mistakes.

If voting leave was cutting off your nose to spite your face, sticking with the result after protest is like gouging your eyes out as well.

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The United States now enters the phase of mass executions. Jehanne 48 4169 November 18, 2022 at 1:52 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  The United States and the growing divide zwanzig 73 3847 September 24, 2021 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
Information The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan. alextruesay 60 3438 August 26, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  So I guess since the GOP is in power now they really don't give a fuck about this now GODZILLA 3 1246 June 29, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Oops. Fucked Up Again, Paul Minimalist 2 587 May 18, 2018 at 3:02 pm
  Impeachment process in the United States Joods 18 3287 October 31, 2017 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: henryp
  BWAHAHA! - They Fucked It Up! Minimalist 52 6931 March 27, 2017 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Democracy is fucked up Zenith 31 8638 February 25, 2017 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  Why doesn't the United States follow it's own rules when it comes to the 1st amendmen GoHalos1993 18 5345 December 31, 2015 at 2:17 pm
  Lets Talk About Citizens United Heywood 30 5482 November 7, 2014 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Heywood