Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 9:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updates on the election for those of us...
RE: Updates on the election for those of us...
(November 9, 2016 at 6:33 am)SofaKingHigh Wrote: I have a feeling that he may not be as bad as some are fearing.....well, that's the hope at least.

Other than a feeling and hope - why wouldn't he be as bad as some (many?) are fearing? What's keeping him? Congress is still in Republican hands, so this president will have the whole toolshed at his disposal.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(November 9, 2016 at 6:39 am)abaris Wrote:
(November 9, 2016 at 6:33 am)SofaKingHigh Wrote: I have a feeling that he may not be as bad as some are fearing.....well, that's the hope at least.

Other than a feeling and hope - why wouldn't he be as bad as some (many?) are fearing? What's keeping him? Congress is still in Republican hands, so this president will have the whole toolshed at his disposal.

My hope is that he will find it as difficult as Obama did, the Republicans may control congress, but let's not forget that many of them didn't back trump and put themselves directly in his path, so to speak.
You may refer to me as "Oh High One."

You have a president elect who is:
  • Illiterate
  • Does not believe in climate change
  • A narcissistic bully
  • Thin skinned
  • Demonises minorities
  • A sexual abuser
  • racist
  • A demagogue
  • Will hand both foreign and domestic policy to a VP who is theocratic, funds anti-gay conversion therapies and does not believe women have a right to their own bodies
(November 9, 2016 at 6:43 am)Mathilda Wrote:

You have a president elect who is:
  • Illiterate
  • Does not believe in climate change
  • A narcissistic bully
  • Thin skinned
  • Demonises minorities
  • A sexual abuser
  • racist
  • A demagogue
  • Will hand both foreign and domestic policy to a VP who is theocratic, funds anti-gay conversion therapies and does not believe women have a right to their own bodies

The last president promised "change" and, barring my new penchant for ladies underwear, the world is a frighteningly similar place to the one Obama came to power in.

I have a feeling, and a hope, that Trump will find himself hamstrung by similar political goings on.
You may refer to me as "Oh High One."
(November 9, 2016 at 6:42 am)SofaKingHigh Wrote: My hope is that he will find it as difficult as Obama did, the Republicans may control congress, but let's not forget that many of them didn't back trump and put themselves directly in his path, so to speak.

And what do you think they will do? Roll back on climate change policies, fine by them. Kick out the immigrants, probably fine by them. Build a wall? Not sure. Ban all muslims, fine by them, I guess. Apart from the ones having business interests with muslim nations. Roll back on Obamacare, very fine by them.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

I don't care if he's the best president ever, ever. Most of the damage is already done. His success will encourage all the other populist f*ckwits, all over the world. His campaign alone reduced political discourse to infantile Twitter-squabbles. This will not just go away. This is life imitating reality TV. This is what the f*cking "celebrity culture" brings us. 

The best thing that can happen, is that he's unable to do anything, due to his incompetence, ignorance and laziness. However, then there's Pence, who's going to be doing most of the work anyway, it seems. But I'll bet the sheer fact, that this muppet is now one of the most powerful people on Earth, is making the stock-markets plummet, even as we speak. 

I'm buckling up. These next few years are going to be a bumpy ride...
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(November 9, 2016 at 6:47 am)SofaKingHigh Wrote: The last president promised "change" and, barring my new penchant for ladies underwear, the world is a frighteningly similar place to the one Obama came to power in.

I have a feeling, and a hope, that Trump will find himself hamstrung by similar political goings on.

Well hopefully you're right. America does have its checks and balances because the system was designed from scratch.

There's a good chance that Trump is only interested in the prestige of being president and doesn't actually care about actually doing anything.
Let's not forget that Kanye West intends to run for President in 2020.
This country is fucked and I am scared for us all. Reports I'm hearing is that the DOW Jones has shut down. Is that correct?
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
You people are overreacting. He's either going to do fine or the world is going to end in a series of nuclear blasts.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2024 US Presidential Election Thumpalumpacus 1126 58324 May 13, 2024 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Those Political Memes Foxaèr 834 66577 May 13, 2024 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Mail in voting/ and election day. Brian37 6 837 October 25, 2020 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  BREAKING:Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition of power after Election Day WinterHold 97 5487 October 2, 2020 at 1:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 1530 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  trump the republican asks communist china to investigate his potential election rival Anomalocaris 10 1120 October 4, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Good News from yesterday's election. Brian37 14 2166 November 9, 2018 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Brian37
  "Securing America’s Election Act" Has Gotten Little To No Media Attention ReptilianPeon 20 2488 August 2, 2018 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Should Hilary Run In The Next Election (The Unbiased Version) Amarok 67 9728 July 25, 2018 at 9:51 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why are those who support Trump defending him so much GODZILLA 14 1738 June 14, 2018 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Aegon