Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 9:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
How Much Evidence Will It Take You To Believe In God???
RE: How Much Evidence Will It Take You To Believe In God???
(November 13, 2016 at 8:39 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: Will wonders never cease?!?....3 atheists kudo-ed my post with a bible verse. Don't worry I won't tell anyone...but I will remember it fondly Wink

I love . . .  Lol, nevermind
(November 14, 2016 at 6:04 am)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(November 13, 2016 at 5:28 pm)pocaracas Wrote: [*]

Doesn't show up when I search for it... but I won't hold my breath in anticipation of a proper dismantling of radiometric dating methods.

The very fact that you rely on a crummy youtube video makes it obvious that you don't understand how it works. And it's very likely that whoever made that video is either equally ignorant, or is actively deceiving you.

You see... I have a college degree in Physics... and a PhD to go with it... I understand how those things work.
You, on the other hand, don't... and you are ignorant enough to believe whatever someone says that agrees with your preconceived notions.

Some time ago, a friend of mine started consuming the core of peach pits. If you search for it, there are countless sites out there advocating its anti-cancer and pro-healing properties. Research done, he took what a friend of his had told him, added the two and started doing it.
When he told me about it, I searched for actual studies done on the subject. Turns out there was at least one. Non-conclusive, was the main result. So, it's the same as a placebo.
I showed it to him and, of course, he stopped gathering up peach pits and eating the core...

We are easily swayed to go along with some idea that we can't readily debunk.
Armed with this little piece of information about how most human minds work, Do you think you are also subject to such a flaw?
No? Why would you think that your mind is any different? Why would you think that you can't be swayed by a bad idea?
[*]

How is your physics degree relevant to radiometric dating, or do you mean you know how science is done? 

Regardless, sounds like an argument from authority to me.

It's relevant in respect to me knowing how it's done and in understanding when it's explained to me.... specially this second bit, which doesn't seem to work so well with our "friend".
(November 13, 2016 at 3:32 pm)Edward John Wrote: Then consider this. What evidence would it take for you to believe that I am God?

But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be under a divine curse! Galatians 1:8 

There is no God but the God of the Bible.

(November 13, 2016 at 2:55 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Excuse me... I'm going to quote you, but will remove all font formatting.

Edit: Damn... that's a big ass wall of text... hiding it all away!

Big bang didn't happen. 
We didn't evolve.
Evolutions false there's no evidence, except some bones.
Philosophical arguments proves God. 

Re-thinking evolution....

If a fair maiden kisses a frog which instantly changes into a handsome prince we would call it a fairy tale. But if the frog takes 40 million years to turn into a prince we call it evolution.

Time is the evolutionist's magic wand.

Fairy tales come in many forms!

Your hypothetical prince didn't evolve from no frog, both specimens evolved in parallel from a common ancestor, human like to the frog and froglike to the human. The frog is just as evolved as the human, or a dog, or a shark, or a coecealinth. Secondly the common ancestor was pre dinosaur as mammals had evolved from reptillian ancestors before the dinosaurs got so successful. And finally, yes time is the ingredient that makes evolution, in forty million years humanity and its ancestor species has gon through at least 1.3 million generations of genetic recombunations and mutations (probably more because for most ancestor species a generation would have been less than 30 years). That's plenty of time and specimens to make a whole load of attempts at a better animal and ensure the failures die off.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Quote:Mariosep wrote:
This is my proof for God existing.

1. Formulate the information of the concept of God, thus:
"God in concept is first and foremost the creator and operator of the universe and man and everything with a beginning."

2. Look for instances of causation in reality outside of concepts in our mind.

3. We find countless examples of causation in reality outside of concepts in our mind.

4. From the countless instances of causation in reality, we infer to the existence of a first and ultimate cause.

5. We find that the first and ultimate cause of all instances of causation in reality corresponds to our information on the concept of God, namely, the creator and operator of the universe and man and everything with a beginning.

6. Conclusion: God exists in concept as first and foremost the creator and operator of the universe and man and everything with a beginning.

Therefore God Exists.
(November 14, 2016 at 8:29 am)Edward John Wrote:

"God in concept is first and foremost the creator and operator of the universe and man and everything with a beginning."

3. We find countless examples of causation in reality outside of concepts in our mind.

4. From the countless instances of causation in reality, we infer to the existence of a first and ultimate cause.

5. We find that the first and ultimate cause of all instances of causation in reality corresponds to our information on the concept of God, namely, the creator and operator of the universe and man and everything with a beginning.

6. Conclusion: God exists in concept as first and foremost the creator and operator of the universe and man and everything with a beginning.

Therefore God Exists.

Arguments from two or more people make it even much more better truer. Glory be. Loudy, loudy. Got ta jump down, spin aroun, get myself to prayin!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 14, 2016 at 8:33 am)mh.brewer Wrote:
(November 14, 2016 at 8:29 am)Edward John Wrote: Therefore God Exists.

Arguments from two or more people make it even much more better truer. Glory be. Loudy, loudy. Got ta jump down, spin aroun, get myself to prayin!

Especially when it's dragged across several different threads.
I guess we got ourselves the new model of Little Rik
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
(November 14, 2016 at 8:29 am)Edward John Wrote:

Therefore God Exists.

[Image: IRvGVm1K.png]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I don't know why I am still going with this, I already Won, I proved my arguments that God does exist what I said Is definitely sufficient for any honest person to believe in God, Just that that the ignorant won't admit it.  

God hardened Pharaohs heart, not by being the efficient cause of his hardness of heart, but by permitting it; and by withdrawing grace from him, in punishment of his malice; which alone was the proper cause of his being hardened.
Your idea of proof is not the same as mine, enjoy your fantasy!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists how much do you hate God? Authari 136 6214 February 12, 2024 at 3:31 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5821 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence ShinyCrystals 9 711 September 4, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2569 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3430 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1738 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4931 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8309 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2938 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Quick Poll - Do you believe in God? Tiberius 1632 460363 May 13, 2023 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris