Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 7:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
The Official "Damned Trump" Thread
RE: The Official "Damned Trump" Thread
I think we need to take a long look at what kind of country we want to be, and what kind of country we want as our allies. That may mean toning down, pulling back, and reflecting a bit, instead of trying to be everywhere else in the world while our own country swirls the drain.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

The fundamental flaw in america first or any other type of isolationism, whether it's a republican or a dem peddling it, is how much our own wellbeing depends on being the indispensable nation. I guess it probably seems intuitive to imagine that helping others less will put us in a position to help ourselves more, but it's simply not true.

Global stability, and yes..promoting democracy... is in our own defense and economic interest, as it maintains a world order with ourselves at the top, and all of the benefits that this entails. This is why so much work has been done to convince americans to give up on the globe. It won't help us, it helps despots, cut out and diminished and curtailed by that world order.

Still, sure, we should always think about the kind of country we want to be, and the kinds of allies we want to have. We might also want to look at why we're swirling the drain, in whatever way that we are. The explanation for that will literally -never- be "helped the other guys too much".

You, ofc, don't have to agree with the above on principle. You can very much be against the current world order - but it will remain a fact that maintaining it is in our own best interests. The world can suck, it can fail to meet our expectations or align to the better angels of our nature, but it is what it is. Ceding it, chunk by chunk, to bad actors won't improve that. On that note, I can tell you exactly what kind of country and allies I don't have any interest in. A country that buddies up to fuckers like Assad, Erdogan, and Putin. Especially...especially when it's done by wrapping ourselves in a flag and swearing that we're doing it for our troops. This is what Tulsi Gabbard does, between bouts of regurgitating far right talking points and Hitlery Killington conspiracy theories on Fox, as a self described hawk on terrorism.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Maintaining something for the sake of it isn't always in our best interests. That's why the world changes constantly. And usually it goes farther to the left over time.

I'm not trying to be an isolationist, but even Jesus told people to take the plank out of their own eye before telling other people how to take the splinter out of theirs. Omg, dictators and despots? We've gone from a republic to an oligarchy where corporations are people. We started a war on terror, and it's gone about as well over there, as the war on drugs is going on here. I don't know who we're supposed to be helping, but I don't think it's regular people.

Are things really better in Iraq and Afghanistan right now, compared to ten years ago? How are we making Yemen a better place?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...

It's in our best interests to maintain a world order with ourselves at the head. Argue with this until you're blue in the face based on whatever evil you think we do around the world..and it will still be true. Even if we were the literal devil..it would still be in -our- best interests to maintain -our- hegemony. Pick a lane and stick with it.

A perpetual fact free round of both-sidesism is useless. Fine...fine..fine. Were horrible fuckers that do terrible things. The other guys are worse fuckers that do more horrible things. Yes, it's better in Iraq and Afghanistan than it used to be - not because we're just so damned good, or good at this..but because it completely blew beforehand. If you want to know who we're helping around the world, then educate yourself. It's not hard to find that info.

Yemens a great counterexample to positions like the one espoused by Tulsi. We should, and could be helping in Yemen.,..but we're just too cozy with a clutch of dictators who have their own interests in the region, huh? OFC, we have provided them with over 700 million in assistance in the last couple of years....so there's that.

There's such a thing as being critical of american policy decisions, and such a thing as swallowing anti-american propaganda hook line and sinker. They are not the same things. I assume you're aiming for the former, rather than the latter.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yeah, I don't think it's propaganda to point out that we shouldn't be doing what we're doing. Yes, I know it's in America's best interest to rule the world through force of arms. Just like it's in my best interests to just beat the shit out of everyone around me to get what I want all the time. Except I don't like being a bully, or psychopath. Whether or not there are worse administrations out there than our country's is likely debatable. The problem is, some of those really bad countries are our allies. Like Saudi Arabia, and Israel.

Yet another impeachable offense:

[Image: 21539188-7731917-image-a-9_1574871341093.jpg]

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 27, 2019 at 11:59 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: It's in our best interests to maintain a world order with ourselves at the head.  Argue with this until you're blue in the face based on whatever evil you think we do around the world..and it will still be true.  Even if we were the literal devil..it would still be in -our- best interests to maintain -our- hegemony. 

Only if, for example, Americans would choose to have an extra dollar in their pockets over preventing a child having their hand blown off by a landmine.
(November 28, 2019 at 12:23 am)Chad32 Wrote: The problem is, some of those really bad countries are our allies. Like Israel.

The problem is there are really bad people in America. People like you.
(November 28, 2019 at 7:02 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Yet another impeachable offense:

[Image: 21539188-7731917-image-a-9_1574871341093.jpg]

Boru

This is an appropriate picture to hang on the fridge to help control your eating...it certainly made me gag when I saw it.

Good lord - the depths this assclown will go to never ceases to amaze me.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(November 28, 2019 at 7:59 am)Dmitry1983 Wrote:
(November 28, 2019 at 12:23 am)Chad32 Wrote: The problem is, some of those really bad countries are our allies. Like Israel.

The problem is there are really bad people in America. People like you.

If I'm the bad guy for not liking what our government does around the world, and even to its own people, then I feel no remorse for it. I'll just be the villain of the story who wants less war. We can't control what other countries do, but we can control what we do, and how we act. At least we should be able to.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Official Gosh Darned Biden Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 464 29206 November 15, 2022 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  The Official 'Damned Cruz' Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 103 4883 April 9, 2021 at 4:32 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1095 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Damned if you do, damned if you don't. onlinebiker 37 2639 August 7, 2019 at 5:25 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Damned Racists, Vol II Minimalist 323 27848 August 3, 2019 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Damned Republicunts Minimalist 1793 285199 March 27, 2019 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Trump VS Trump (not exactly political news but I have no idea where to post this) Cepheus Ace 0 37007 February 12, 2019 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  Damned Texans Minimalist 201 30575 March 31, 2017 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I'm awfully confused: how do Trump supporters relate to Trump NuclearEnergy 11 3191 March 7, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  It's official, the election was stolen GUBU 77 9753 December 11, 2016 at 11:30 am
Last Post: vorlon13