Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 6:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you wish there's a god?
RE: Do you wish there's a god?
(April 3, 2019 at 9:55 pm)Belaqua Wrote:
(April 3, 2019 at 9:50 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Lol, thank you. You made it sound like the evidence hierarchy is just an atheist thing.

The belief that there is an "evidence hierarchy" that is obvious to sensible people and indisputable by reasonable people is something one often sees among adult atheists who were raised in society and are capable of language. It isn't universal.

Do you share that belief?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(April 3, 2019 at 10:06 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(April 3, 2019 at 9:55 pm)Belaqua Wrote: The belief that there is an "evidence hierarchy" that is obvious to sensible people and indisputable by reasonable people is something one often sees among adult atheists who were raised in society and are capable of language. It isn't universal.

Do you share that belief?

Do I believe that there is an "evidence hierarchy" that is obvious to sensible people and indisputable by reasonable people?

No, I don't. Because there are sensible and reasonable people from different backgrounds, in different places and societies, who see things differently than we do. 

Beliefs, even of the kind we have, are contingent.
(April 3, 2019 at 10:20 pm)Belaqua Wrote:
(April 3, 2019 at 10:06 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Do you share that belief?

Do I believe that there is an "evidence hierarchy" that is obvious to sensible people and indisputable by reasonable people?

No, I don't. Because there are sensible and reasonable people from different backgrounds, in different places and societies, who see things differently than we do. 

Do you hold any beliefs at all?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

(April 3, 2019 at 10:25 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(April 3, 2019 at 10:20 pm)Belaqua Wrote: Do I believe that there is an "evidence hierarchy" that is obvious to sensible people and indisputable by reasonable people?

Do you hold any beliefs at all?

Now I think you're teasing me. 

All human beings hold that some things are true. (Though these may not all be the same things.) I am a human being.
Beliefs that you hold to be true in common with others, when those others include the faithful, cannot be the cause of your atheism.

Saying "everyone believes things" is a deepity, and doesn't certify any particular belief, or that there is a particular belief, that leads to or is the reason for a persons atheism.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 3, 2019 at 10:47 pm)Belaqua Wrote:
(April 3, 2019 at 10:25 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Do you hold any beliefs at all?

Now I think you're teasing me. 

All human beings hold that some things are true. (Though these may not all be the same things.) I am a human being.

I might be teasing you a little. I’m just trying to figure you out. You say you’re an atheist, which is a particular position on the subject of god’s existence, but rather than talk about what good reasons lead you to atheism, you seem to always be coming to the defense of reasons theists offer for theism. It’s weird. A god either exists, or it doesn’t. These two possible conclusions are mutually exclusive. You have stated you are unconvinced that a god exists. What are your reasons for lacking a belief? I mean, do you have any reasons for your lack of belief? Or did you just flip a coin?

(April 3, 2019 at 11:01 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: yet you seem to always be coming to the defense of reasons theists offer for their belief.

I realize I come across this way. It wasn't my intention when I started discussing things on line.

I am often frustrated by the reasoning atheists use, or the characterizations they make of religion. I find myself working against those mistakes or oversimplifications. 

This Pure Lackism folderol is a good example. I don't believe that people posting here are pure in their lack; I think they have reasons which lead to the lack, are contingent on our current situation, may be rejected by reasonable people, and can and should be discussed and defended. To claim they have no beliefs is false. So I go on about that. 

As for my own beliefs, I am in no way against science, and I hope to remain open-minded about other things. And since I come from a background in arts and literature, I value and respect many religious sources for the framework they give in thinking about humanity.
That's a hell of a long way to say "no, no reasons".  I'm pretty much 50/50 on heathen sperm or godless ova, myself.

In any case, Camus acceptance of a hierarchy of evidence, her "situation".....can't be the cause of her atheism because there are theists who are also in that "situation" (it doesn't really matter that there are people who aren't in that situation). Must be something else, if there's any particular reason. I think that you're expressing your own frustration more than any problem with there being no specific reason or belief for some hypothetical atheists situation.

I get it, too, some true things are truly unsatisfying.

I think that a nominally rational person would have a very hard time believing that all atheists have some reason for their situations. Some specific belief or process of rational inference. Now..that...that bends credibility to the point of positive disbelief. I could have remained a passive agnostic my entire life, but I couldn't maintain that one.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 3, 2019 at 11:08 pm)Belaqua Wrote:
(April 3, 2019 at 11:01 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: yet you seem to always be coming to the defense of reasons theists offer for their belief.

I realize I come across this way. It wasn't my intention when I started discussing things on line.

I am often frustrated by the reasoning atheists use, or the characterizations they make of religion. I find myself working against those mistakes or oversimplifications. 

This Pure Lackism folderol is a good example. I don't believe that people posting here are pure in their lack; I think they have reasons which lead to the lack, are contingent on our current situation, may be rejected by reasonable people, and can and should be discussed and defended. To claim they have no beliefs is false. So I go on about that. 

As for my own beliefs, I am in no way against science, and I hope to remain open-minded about other things. And since I come from a background in arts and literature, I value and respect many religious sources for the framework they give in thinking about humanity.

I notice you didn’t answer my question. You do that a lot. What reasons lead you to atheism?

You’re right that some atheists do make the claim that a god doesn’t exist.  Not all of us though. The thing about lack of belief is that it leaves the door open for new information that might change someone’s mind. I don’t think that it’s likely that a god exists, but I can’t claim 100% certainty. I would like for there to be some kind of god for us, and my mind is open to be changed. It just hasn’t been so far.

Conversely, mine has been.  I started out as an agnostic atheist for no discernible reason.  I became a gnostic atheist much later, for reasons, and my mind is no longer open to the possibility of gods being anything other than fiction.

My reasons didn't alter my atheism, I was an atheist before and after - so they couldn't really be said to be the cause of my atheism.  They altered my confidence in a knowledge statement. Sometimes, as unsatisfying as it may be, the answer to the question "but why are you like that" really is, "IDK, just the way I am". An irreducible fact.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3092 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do u want there to be a God? Any God? Agnostico 304 30564 December 19, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4771 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  His wish sounds familiar purplepurpose 1 929 November 16, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god. Whateverist 88 16555 September 4, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Astonished
  "There is a god because e = mc²" bheath 58 10691 February 24, 2017 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: bheath
  I wish I had yall on Facebook mlmooney89 115 17043 August 5, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Wish purplepurpose 33 3527 June 11, 2016 at 2:31 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Don't tell a Religious person "There is no God" Heat 46 8384 October 25, 2015 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mikazuki
  Wish this nutjob would hurry up and die. Spooky 30 6051 August 11, 2015 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Iroscato