Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wish
Wish
Are you content with the idea of permanent death?(materialistic world view). And isn't Ironical that pride and independence can only brings us "nothing"?

Are there people here who dont believe in gods idea and believe in godless afterlife? Isn't hypocritical to do so, as magic once accepted has no boundaries.

Religion and philosophy, in my opinion, bring only mental pain in the end, and thats why people avoide them. Although I admire believers suicidal tendencies towards their earthly pleasure to do more good things instead or pleasant.
RE: Wish
There are people like that, but you're unlikely to find them here.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
You're probably not going to find one of those people here like Agenda said. But I'll add my two cents. Personally I don't believe in a godless afterlife, it has no base, to me it seems more like wishful thinking. And I am very content with permanent death. I might even go as far as saying I prefer permanent death over an afterlife, I don't know why. Although I don't mind being immortal under certain circumstances i.e everyone else is immortal with me, I suffer no diseases etc, although I'm fine with sadness because I very much appreciate the happiness I feel after experiencing sadness. I believe happiness can't exist without sadness. And I want to be able to end my life in an instant whenever I want too. 

I can't help but feel that by you asking these questions you're worried about death and an afterlife. If you want you can pm me and we can talk.

Edit; Want to clarify that I wouldn't believe in an afterlife even if I wanted it to exist. I strongly dislike wishful thinking and being irrational.
(June 7, 2016 at 5:19 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: Are you content with the idea of permanent death?(materialistic world view). And isn't Ironical that pride and independence can only brings us "nothing"?

It doesn't matter to me what I am "content with" believing. I don't want to believe things because they may make me happy, I want to believe things that are true.

I am perfectly content with not having an afterlife, since that is what the evidence points to. In fact, I feel that, if there were an afterlife, that would it belittle this one. As if this life was nothing more than a place o wipe my feet while waiting for the "real life".

I only am concerned with having as many true beliefs as possible, and as few false beliefs.

And the single best method that can actually be shown to be a path to truth, is demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument and valid/sound logic.

Ancient texts, faith, personal experiences, anecdotal evidence, wishful thinking, are all bad reasons to believe a claim.

Quote:Are there people here who dont believe in gods idea and believe in godless afterlife? Isn't hypocritical to do so, as magic once accepted has no boundaries.

There are all sorts of reasons people have beliefs, some of them good, some not.

Not all atheists are rational, evidence based thinkers. Some believe in all sorts of unsupported woo. Does it make them hypocrites? No. It just makes them irrational thinkers to believe in a godless afterlife.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(June 7, 2016 at 5:46 pm)RozKek Wrote: You're probably not going to find one of those people here like Agenda said. But I'll add my two cents. Personally I don't believe in a godless afterlife, it has no base, to me it seems more like wishful thinking. And I am very content with permanent death. I might even go as far as saying I prefer permanent death over an afterlife, I don't know why. Although I don't mind being immortal under certain circumstances i.e everyone else is immortal with me, I suffer no diseases etc, although I'm fine with sadness because I very much appreciate the happiness I feel after experiencing sadness. I believe happiness can't exist without sadness. And I want to be able to end my life in an instant whenever I want too. 

I can't help but feel that by you asking these questions you're worried about death and an afterlife. If you want you can pm me and we can talk.

Edit; Want to clarify that I wouldn't believe in an afterlife even if I wanted it to exist. I strongly dislike wishful thinking and being irrational.

I feel that people dislike the idea of afterlife not because its irrational, but because it involves magical creator/source, which puts us in the position of miserable servants who happily serves and accepts with smile all thing master is giving. Its like a metaphorical suicide. Its... unacceptable unless you are veryyyyy miserable in life.

God certainly exists in my opinion, but serving his idealistic views and killing earthly happiness for higher goals isn't acceptable for me.
(June 7, 2016 at 5:19 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: Are you content with the idea of permanent death?

I'm content with it like you can never believe. I have absolutely no problem with staying dead forever. All of the other proposed options, from the Konami code for infinite life to an eternity of giving celestial hummers / eternal testicular electrode action, are the definition of horrific. You would have to be pathologically, inhumanly insane to wish that on anyone. I'll take oblivion every time.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
There is no afterlife, not in the sense your are describing. There is a good chance that the constituents of my body will be incorporated into another life after my death. Hell, there is a good chance that it is happening now every time I shit. However, I am/will be not aware of it.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I'm someone who would prefer there to be an afterlife. Nothing of the sort you find in the Bible, but another world like this one would be nice. Obviously I don't want there to be terrible things (genocides, holocausts...) but the pursuit of knowledge, the absence of answers to big questions, and the daily ups and downs are all good things in my opinion and I would like them to keep going.
Meandering Atheist: Several friends on a journey of romance and adventure, to talk about moderately interesting topics.
View My Video
Being a magi, I have to believe in the magic, and I think a godless afterlife is very much possible with the magic of science Tongue [by afterlife I mean survival of consciousness without our flesh and blood physical bodies]
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you wish there's a god? Catharsis 580 42753 April 10, 2019 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4600 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  His wish sounds familiar purplepurpose 1 918 November 16, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I wish I had yall on Facebook mlmooney89 115 16513 August 5, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Wish this nutjob would hurry up and die. Spooky 30 5954 August 11, 2015 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  Do you wish God was real? Catholic_Lady 176 30683 July 24, 2015 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  I wish to feel superior to reality (atheism) Mozart Link 73 13443 August 5, 2014 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you wish you could believe in a Deity? emergencyScott 76 9462 June 11, 2014 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Confused Ape
  I'm coming out of the closet, wish me luck. Ziploc Surprise 40 14301 February 8, 2012 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise