Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
By chance?
RE: By chance?
(February 3, 2020 at 12:23 pm)Yukon_Jack Wrote: “Your mistake (among many) is assuming the owl eye pattern was a goal, instead of the result of providing a survival advantage.”

Well if the eye pattern was not a goal, how convenient that chance mutations created some trait that fits perfectly into the butterfly’s scheme of life?
Some evos here still claim that NS has creative ability when in fact it is the raw materials of mutations that are behind it all
And yes these mutations are totally random and what ever you say cannot change that, who can admit the resultant luck of mutations is mind boggling!

You are a relentless quibbler.
(February 3, 2020 at 12:23 pm)Yukon_Jack Wrote: “Your mistake (among many) is assuming the owl eye pattern was a goal, instead of the result of providing a survival advantage.”

Well if the eye pattern was not a goal, how convenient that chance mutations created some trait that fits perfectly into the butterfly’s scheme of life?
Some evos here still claim that NS has creative ability when in fact it is the raw materials of mutations that are behind it all
And yes these mutations are totally random and what ever you say cannot change that, who can admit the resultant luck of mutations is mind boggling!

This pattern didnt *pop up* at at once Facepalm
Thats why its called *evolution* and not ... *creation* Facepalm
Are you really that dense or just trolling? Huh
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
Sure, it's mind boggling. As in it boggles your mind.

The problem can't really be that it's mind boggling, as a special creation by magic is no less mind boggling - and clearly that doesn't cause you to reject it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 3, 2020 at 1:09 pm)Deesse23 Wrote:

This pattern didnt *pop up* at at once Facepalm
Thats why its called *evolution* and not ... *creation* Facepalm
Are you really that dense or just trolling? Huh

When you have no argument, just quibble.

It is not a goal it is a consequence. that you cannot figure out cause and effect is YOUR problem. We gave all tried to explain it to you in terms that children can grasp in so many ways. Nobody can make you understand.

(February 3, 2020 at 12:23 pm)Yukon_Jack Wrote: Some evos here still claim that NS has creative ability when in fact it is the raw materials of mutations that are behind it all
Nobody claims that NS has any creative component. You simply made that up out of whole cloth.

It might indeed be true. On planet Sausage. Right slong with invisible garage dragons.

(February 3, 2020 at 12:23 pm)Yukon_Jack Wrote: And yes these mutations are totally random and what ever you say cannot change that,
I have no idea why you keep propagating this nonsense. Mutations are random. Nobody is even discussing that but you because you seem to be illiterate. You are not even vaguely reading any replies, let alone comprehending any of them.

(February 3, 2020 at 12:23 pm)Yukon_Jack Wrote: who can admit the resultant luck of mutations is mind boggling!
Mutations happen every day in humans. Those which live on propogate, those which do not prosper fail. That is how time works. Any minute now you will have to deny time. Because that is where such crankery terminates without fail.

I wil grant that it is difficult to nail any internet denizen as to what they may or may not believe, but frankly, you are heading towards Nazism.

I am not accusing you of such, but that is your trajectory to date. Be careful not to fall into the pyre.
I think YJ deserves a tip of the hat. When defending the idiocy of intelligent design, certain things are absolutely crucial.

-Maintain a strict, willful ignorance of evolution and how it operates.

-Never address the facts and arguments of your opponents.

-Repeat your misinformed opinion and false facts frequently.

-Don’t offer a mechanism for design.

-Above all, always substitute invective, bad language, and personal insults in place of actual debate.

YJ has adhered to these with a doggedness which would make a charging rhino gulp with disbelief.  Kirk Cameron would be proud.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

It was not a goal. This is one of the main parts of evolution. I'm surprised you don't know this. Its quite well known.

(February 3, 2020 at 12:23 pm)Yukon_Jack Wrote: Some evos here still claim that NS has creative ability when in fact it is the raw materials of mutations that are behind it all

Indeed the results of mutation coupled with natural selection are mind boggling and also true. As has been proved by the being the best supported scientific theory there is.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Yukon seems to have bailed out. Colour me all shade of surprised.
(February 3, 2020 at 3:18 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote: Yukon seems to have bailed out. Colour me all shade of surprised.

His last post was three hours ago. I’d hardly call that ‘bailed out.’

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

So much wrong in only 3 sentences. Where to start....

Quote:Well if the eye pattern was not a goal, how convenient that chance mutations created some trait that fits perfectly into the butterfly’s scheme of life?

Lets say a population of butterflies has a mutation for spots on the wings that don't look too much like eyes, but some predators on quick glance, see them as being close enough to eyes, they avoid these butterflies. So, this population of butterflies has a better overall survival rate, so the breed more and pass their genes to further generations. Those without the spots will be eaten more often. Further mutations that cause spots to look a bit more like eyes, would provide even a bit more survival advantage, affording this population a higher survival rate than those with simple spots.

The mutations may be random, the selection process is not.

The trait does not fit 'perfectly' into the butterflies 'scheme of life'. Some of them are still eaten.

Quote:Some evos here still claim that NS has creative ability when in fact it is the raw materials of mutations that are behind it all

Mutation happen in every generation to every member of a population. You have 68 mutations that your parents did not have. Some are negative for survival, some are neutral to survival, and some few are advantageous to survival. Natural selection is the driver of evolution, because, depending on environmental pressure, only those mutations negative (to survival) will be selected against.

Quote:And yes these mutations are totally random and what ever you say cannot change that, who can admit the resultant luck of mutations is mind boggling!

Not 'totally' random. Strict laws of chemistry and physics dictate a very limited way genes can mutate. But yes, there is some randomness in the mutation process. But which mutations are selected for, selected against, or ignored, is not random.

By the way...

What does any of this biology have to do with atheism?

I hate to break it to you, but even if evolution were to be proven wrong and totally overturned tomorrow*, that would not provide one bit of evidence that some god was involved in the diversity of life on earth.
Your 'hypothesis' that a god is responsible has to be supported on its own merits, with its own demonstrable, repeatable, and falsifiable evidence.

No amount of your arguments from personal incredulity, and argument from ignorance, will demonstrate a god exists.

* it won't be, its been observed in the lab and field, and in every singly field of science that deals with the subject.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3097 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The argument of "chance" xr34p3rx 86 16308 February 24, 2015 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  A chance to do good without god Baalzebutt 8 3270 February 27, 2013 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  Products of Chance Reasonable_Jeff 44 13600 September 26, 2012 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Logic of chance Ephrium 59 19982 August 27, 2009 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Violet