Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 5:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Random Thoughts
RE: Random Thoughts
(October 1, 2021 at 1:14 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Something happened to me yesterday........usually I'm preoccupied with a false sense of morality, just extremely self-centered, and can't see things from anyone else's perspective. But yesterday, for a few brief moments, I felt more "connected" with the rest of humanity, like I could see the value of other people and thought, "maybe other people could be smarter or better than me", but this state of clarity quickly dissipated, and now all I have is the memory of it. What happened to me? Has this happened to any of you?

[Image: 645187f0f7c142175c9a624d5120ed47.gif]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I...I...I just...I just can't...

(October 1, 2021 at 1:14 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Something happened to me yesterday........usually I'm preoccupied with a false sense of morality, just extremely self-centered, and can't see things from anyone else's perspective. But yesterday, for a few brief moments, I felt more "connected" with the rest of humanity, like I could see the value of other people and thought, "maybe other people could be smarter or better than me", but this state of clarity quickly dissipated, and now all I have is the memory of it. What happened to me? Has this happened to any of you?

So you're saying you're on the spectrum.  That explains everything.  Seriously.  Should have led with that.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
Clair de Lune for some reason is making its appearance in cinema lately.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Went this morning and bought a new washer. Husband hooked it up and we are doing a test run now. In looking through the paperwork there was a warning that the machine might sound differently than the one we are replacing...I sincerely hope it does as the old one sounded like it was demon possessed.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(October 2, 2021 at 11:15 am)arewethereyet Wrote: Went this morning and bought a new washer.  Husband hooked it up and we are doing a test run now.  In looking through the paperwork there was a warning that the machine might sound differently than the one we are replacing...I sincerely hope it does as the old one sounded like it was demon possessed.

My dad is quite hard of hearing - and he has a washing machine that howls a high pitched squeal whilst operating. It' s done it since new. Dad never noticed...

Arrgghh
(October 2, 2021 at 11:21 am)onlinebiker Wrote:
(October 2, 2021 at 11:15 am)arewethereyet Wrote: Went this morning and bought a new washer.  Husband hooked it up and we are doing a test run now.  In looking through the paperwork there was a warning that the machine might sound differently than the one we are replacing...I sincerely hope it does as the old one sounded like it was demon possessed.

My dad is quite hard of hearing - and he has a washing machine that howls a high pitched squeal whilst operating. It' s done it since new. Dad never noticed...

Arrgghh

Ours has been dying a slow and noisy death for a few weeks now.

Husband asked the other night when it was running if that was they sound it made the other day when I sent him a text saying the washer didn't sound very good...I said nope, that's a new sound. It had been adding new sounds with every use...my youngest dog was a nervous wreck trying to figure out what was going on.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I've been getting interested in reading philosophy again, long overdue, and was just thinking how cool it would be if the formal debates area of the forum was used again, as it hasn't been in a long time. At the moment my main philosophical interest is in 'God of the philosopher's' type stuff (eg, Anselm, Aquinas etc) and coming on here looking for threads about that, I came across @Neo-Scholastic's, ahem, failed debate... so I just thought, as a random thought, how cool it would be if he would be willing to debate that subject again, but with someone else, say @vulcanlogician or @The Grand Nudger... someone willing to debate it thoroughly on logical grounds and take it seriously. I mean, I know I'm not in a position to ask for much on this site given I rarely post any more, but just offering it as a suggestion in case anyone was interested. I'd certainly read it, with interest Smile And it's just nice seeing debates in that form, so even if no to this, I think it would still be cool if the debates area started getting used again.
(October 2, 2021 at 5:20 pm)emjay Wrote: I've been getting interested in reading philosophy again, long overdue, and was just thinking how cool it would be if the formal debates area of the forum was used again, as it hasn't been in a long time. At the moment my main philosophical interest is in 'God of the philosopher's' type stuff (eg, Anselm, Aquinas etc) and coming on here looking for threads about that, I came across @Neo-Scholastic's, ahem, failed debate... so I just thought, as a random thought, how cool it would be if he would be willing to debate that subject again, but with someone else, say @vulcanlogician or @The Grand Nudger... someone willing to debate it thoroughly on logical grounds and take it seriously. I mean, I know I'm not in a position to ask for much on this site given I rarely post any more, but just offering it as a suggestion in case anyone was interested. I'd certainly read it, with interest Smile And it's just nice seeing debates in that form, so even if no to this, I think it would still be cool if the debates area started getting used again.

Totally, man. I'd be down for a formal debate. But nothing on a strict schedule. Like, I'd only want to commit to opening remarks, a few responses and then kinda letting the debate taper out (if it doesn't come to a tidy conclusion on its own).

I think the God of the philosophers was something Socrates and Plato used as a stand in for the Greek gods (in which they did not believe). I think Aristotle made good use of it. Anselm and Aquinas... Neo might be able to say more on what their usage of the concept was. They kinda blended it with the Christian God, I think. But again,  It'd be an interesting thing to analyze. I wonder if early Enlightenment philosophers didn't employ it to hide their deism or atheism.

You could always start a thread about it, and (if parties are interested) we could use that as a jumping off point and start a start a formal debate about it. I also wouldn't mind defending pantheism vs an atheist. (Not the same subject, I know, but it's somewhat adjacent.)
(October 2, 2021 at 5:37 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(October 2, 2021 at 5:20 pm)emjay Wrote: I've been getting interested in reading philosophy again, long overdue, and was just thinking how cool it would be if the formal debates area of the forum was used again, as it hasn't been in a long time. At the moment my main philosophical interest is in 'God of the philosopher's' type stuff (eg, Anselm, Aquinas etc) and coming on here looking for threads about that, I came across @Neo-Scholastic's, ahem, failed debate... so I just thought, as a random thought, how cool it would be if he would be willing to debate that subject again, but with someone else, say @vulcanlogician or @The Grand Nudger... someone willing to debate it thoroughly on logical grounds and take it seriously. I mean, I know I'm not in a position to ask for much on this site given I rarely post any more, but just offering it as a suggestion in case anyone was interested. I'd certainly read it, with interest Smile And it's just nice seeing debates in that form, so even if no to this, I think it would still be cool if the debates area started getting used again.

Totally, man. I'd be down for a formal debate. But nothing on a strict schedule. Like, I'd only want to commit to opening remarks, a few responses and then kinda letting the debate taper out (if it doesn't come to a tidy conclusion on its own).

I think the God of the philosophers was something Socrates and Plato used as a stand in for the Greek gods (in which they did not believe). I think Aristotle made good use of it. Anselm and Aquinas... Neo might be able to say more on what their usage of the concept was. They kinda blended it with the Christian God, I think. But again,  It'd be an interesting thing to analyze. I wonder if early Enlightenment philosophers didn't employ it to hide their deism or atheism.

You could always start a thread about it, and (if parties are interested) we could use that as a jumping off point and start a start a formal debate about it. I also wouldn't mind defending pantheism vs an atheist. (Not the same subject, I know, but it's somewhat adjacent.)

Cool Smile I only meant 'God of the philosophers' colloquially really, not as a specific thing to talk about... just how I'd kind of group those sort of arguments... that which attempts to prove god, or supposed aspects of god, through logic alone. Sorry about that, already getting things conflated Wink

Yeah, I could start a thread, but it's been such a long time since I last did, and to be frank, I've lost confidence in my own ability to debate, both from an intellectual point of view and an energy/concentration point of view. I mean, I am getting back into it, reading the subject at least, slowly and surely, but I'm a long way from being able to argue logic with such proficiency as you guys. But thanks for the suggestion... I'll think about it Smile
Is it just me, or does Molnupiravir sound like the name of a dragon from a Tolkein novel?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts on sexual services? Macoleco 25 2234 September 7, 2022 at 10:57 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Your thoughts on the validity of this? ignoramus 12 2026 April 12, 2021 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Any of you attend a Christian University/high school. What were your thoughts? Atomic Lava 19 2323 November 20, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  What are your thoughts on R Kelly? rkellysucks 12 2230 July 13, 2019 at 5:36 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Thoughts and not prayers. Gawdzilla Sama 52 5665 January 30, 2019 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Inspired rather than random thoughts tackattack 20 2071 November 24, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Thoughts on NDE's. purplepurpose 8 1159 November 9, 2018 at 3:34 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  A thought on thoughts KevinM1 6 1207 September 19, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  What are your thoughts on corporate run media? GODZILLA 3 851 July 8, 2018 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Guiding Thought for My Life: Think Your Own Thoughts Rhondazvous 3 1168 April 3, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous