Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 5:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians - What would you do if it were discovered Jesus never existed?
RE: Christians - What would you do if it were discovered Jesus never existed?
(September 5, 2015 at 10:38 am)Alex K Wrote: I've read in mythicist writings that possibly in the very early church, Jesus was not supposed to be an actual human being who walked the earth, but was rather thought to exist in a spiritual realm. Does anyone recall details of how that worked? Anyways, maybe the Christians could simply go back to such an "abstract" notion of Jesus.

As Rob put forward, Richard Carrier is the foremost expert that utilizes this line of reasoning, and his ideas pretty much took the last few puffs of wind out of my faith.

I didn't see the exact video Rob posted, but I'm sure his is similar; Carrier uses religious trends of the time, language from the few undisputed Epistles, and non-Biblical Christian text (namely very early redactions of "The Ascension of Isaiah") to demonstrate that the original Jesus was likely created as a heavenly figure to be the Messiah that could no longer come from the line of David (because that actually died off long before Jesus is supposed to have been born). Because no human messiah could be born, some authors might have created a deified one and placed his struggles in the heavenly realms where nobody could adequately dispute them.

In this early version of the story, Jesus is supposed to have descended through the various levels of Heaven and Hell, disguising himself as denizens of each level as he goes. When he reaches the lowest level of Hell, the Devil and his demons think Jesus is just another demonic soul to be tortured, punished, and destroyed, so they abuse and kill him not realizing that his death will bring about salvation for humans. He is resurrected, appears to various mortals in visions or whatever, and then ascends back to heaven to sight at the right hand of the throne of blah blah blah...

Carrier posits that later on, a humanized version of the character was written as a parable designed to make sense to followers but not to outsiders; outsiders were meant to think they were talking about a real person, but insiders would have known that this was not the original version of the character, but a humanized super-parable full of other parables designed to teach them blahdy blahdy blah blah blah...

Somewhere along the way, the church allegedly decided to go with the story of the human Jesus and decided that was what everything hinged on, so they kind of tried to sweep ghost Jesus under the carpet since he was a lesser-known insider mystery to begin with.

Like I said, this is what kicked the last few pegs out from under my faith. I realize lots of people (some of whom are atheists) dispute this line of reasoning pretty vehemently, but I've since realized that even on the unlikely off-chance that even if Jesus of Nazareth was based on a single, historical human with the same name, that dude wasn't magic and he wasn't the son of anything but a random Jewish couple somewhere on the ass of the Roman empire.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christians - What would you do if it were discovered Jesus never existed? - by Redbeard The Pink - September 5, 2015 at 10:55 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Never-Ending and Quite Exasperating Debate We All Know of Leonardo17 28 1962 August 3, 2024 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Most People Insist That Two Separate Being Can Never Be One KerimF 86 6709 June 17, 2023 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If you knew for certain that you were going to Hell zwanzig 32 3609 March 9, 2021 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 7185 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do Christians imagine 2nd coming of Jesus? Fake Messiah 39 4418 September 15, 2020 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Would Jesus promote punishing the innocent instead of the guilty? Greatest I am 159 12769 September 10, 2020 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 12596 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 9712 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Truer Words Were Never Spoken Minimalist 9 2746 April 23, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Jesus Would Be Proud of You, Douchebag Minimalist 37 10199 August 21, 2017 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb