Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 9:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exposing the Intellectual Bankruptcy of Atheists Criticizing Religion
RE: Exposing the Intellectual Bankruptcy of Atheists Criticizing Religion
(November 1, 2015 at 1:50 pm)Drich Wrote:
(October 31, 2015 at 11:54 pm)Delicate Wrote: Article: The New Philistinism

The New Atheist writers are supremely self-confident in their ability to dispatch opponents with a sarcastic quip or two. And they show no evidence whatsoever of knowing what they are talking about.

Great article. Worth reading to get an idea of what a joke so many atheist clergy are.

I found this to be true a long time ago. Most 'atheist' simply spin their own version of a hitchens or dawkins arguement and pin everything they believe on a primise they hear in a debate or read in an artical. The problem most have though is when their primary source material has been refuted, they simply shut down and start with personal attacks trying to discredit the one who showed them that their emperor has no cloths. They have to hide from the truth and are not able to follow it where ever it may lead.

Most believe, they have to 'kill God' philosophically in order to live in freedom, and their specific brand of atheism allows them to do that. the irony is their brand of belief is the tiny little box they believe Christians live in. they only see the rules and the bad that wicked people in the religion have manifest. Most fail to realize that those in the religion who only know of the rules and oppression of other to them, are running into the same boundries that the atheist who thinks this way also encounter.

WRONG!

I never encountered Hitchens or Dawkins, except for having read The Selfish Gene back in college, which isn't really about religion. None of their arguments, nor that of any other atheist writer, formed the basis for my opinions until I began to read Carl Sagan in my late twenties. My religious objections came from studying the Christian claims themselves and finding fault with them, and from learning what science actually has to say instead of the strawman version presented by my church leaders and Christian authors.

While I have seen both Hitch and Dawkins make points with which I agree, I have also seen them make terrible points, ones which I also reject, and I believe for sound reasons.

Your religious worldview is simply not compatible with what we now know (which the people in the first century did not) about the physical world, and how it operates. I have no need to "kill" your God, any more than I need to "kill" conservatism; I simply think that your ideas are terrible ones, not ones based on rational evaluation of the facts, and that the awful conclusions you people draw from those facts (Edit to Add: assuming you're not simply ignoring facts, which seems to me to be the basis of about half the religious ideology out there) do a lot of unnecessary harm to society and to the happiness and progress of humanity.

I stand against religious fanatics, not the thousands of ridiculous claims to secret knowledge about God that informs their beliefs, and thus their actions. I also DO NOT blame Christians overall for the bad actions of some of them, as I do not think the ideology is automatically false because of the actions of its adherents, but I do blame the ideology for the effects it has on the minds of those who follow it. It is an ideology that literally tells people not to think, that they should trust "God's Knowledge" over "Man's Knowledge", which translates to "believe this because it says to believe it, instead of relying on your natural abilities as a skeptical, intelligent human being to potentially detect that what we are feeding you is a load of horse shit". It short-circuits the defensive mechanisms of the brain in order to insinuate itself onto the host, and most insidious of all, it does so by attacking people in their conscience, telling them that they are inherently bad, inherently unworthy, and that if they do not follow the tenets of the faith, that it is because some evil demon is tricking them.

That is why I reference Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark as my only form of "atheist literature". The rest is because, when I was told I was thinking too much, religion had failed to dismantle the part of my brain that spoke up and said, "How can I think too much?"
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Exposing the Intellectual Bankruptcy of Atheists Criticizing Religion - by TheRocketSurgeon - November 1, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How atheists can enjoy religion Ahriman 100 8059 September 5, 2021 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Todji812
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11116 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion? Delicate 860 143200 January 19, 2016 at 12:03 am
Last Post: IATIA
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5011 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Criticizing Islam is racist? Lemonvariable72 128 17397 November 5, 2015 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20096 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 50874 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11175 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Thiests: This how atheists see religion Gooders1002 22 8253 May 5, 2013 at 5:35 am
Last Post: Confused Ape
  Atheists are pagan worshipers who started another religion. bjhulk 42 27872 February 16, 2011 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Calmedady