Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 7:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exposing the Intellectual Bankruptcy of Atheists Criticizing Religion
RE: Exposing the Intellectual Bankruptcy of Atheists Criticizing Religion
(November 20, 2015 at 1:36 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(November 20, 2015 at 2:08 am)ChadWooters Wrote:

Oh, I'm sorry! Fool that I am, I thought you were finally discussing something real! You certainly were enamored with the importance of observations back when you thought that observations confirmed the five ways.  Dodgy

And I still am interested in real, common, everyday experiences. I don’t know about you, but I see and experience on a daily basis the same observations Thomas Aquinas uses in the Five Ways, and I quote:

From the 1st Way - “It is certain, and evident to our senses, that in the world some things are in motion.”
From the 2nd Way - “In the world of sense we find there is an order of efficient causes.”
From the 3rd Way - “We find in nature things that are possible to be and not to be, since they are found to be generated, and to corrupt, and consequently, they are possible to be and not to be.”
From the 4th Way – “Among beings there are some more and some less good, true, noble and the like.” (translation for the perplexed – some examples of triangles in the physical world are more represented of what it means to be a triangle than others, etc.)
From the 5th Way – “We see that things which lack intelligence, such as natural bodies, act for an end, and this is evident from their acting always, or nearly always, in the same way,…” (translation for the perplexed – the laws of nature are consistent)

(November 20, 2015 at 1:36 pm)Esquilax Wrote: But it turns out instead that you just wanted to waffle on about abstract philosophical bullshit instead!

How come some people happily engage in a philosophical discussion only until the arguments turn against them and suddenly they say that it’s all bullshit? Loser.

(November 20, 2015 at 1:36 pm)Esquilax Wrote: I should have known, it's kind of your thing. You just wanted it both ways: before you were asserting that empirical observations bear out your claims, but the moment it's demonstrated that no, that's not true, you shuck observations completely in favor of vague "primary and fundamental" abstractions that have not only never been observed, but are contraindicated by the available evidence.

Still waiting for your examples of evidence that contradicts the observations on which the Five Ways are based, perhaps one showing that the laws of nature are not consistent. From what I gather the laws of QM are highly robust and consistent.

(November 20, 2015 at 1:36 pm)Esquilax Wrote: Essentially, you were shown why a first cause isn't needed in an objective sense, and your response was to walk back the entirety of your last argument to say "yeah, but there's a first cause anyway because it has nothing to do with objectively real things like linear causality, the only framework we can observe through which causes occur, it's all about a... first cause." Do you know what we call philosophical ideas that have no basis in objective reality and are contraindicated by all the available data, Chad? "Making shit up."

My position has been consistent and I keep pointing you back to it when you start working off a complete misunderstanding of what a “first cause” is and voicing objections to an argument Aquinas never made.

I also noticed that you used the word ‘objectively’ twice. I take that word to mean things that exist independent of our knowledge of them. If there is a first cause, then it would be something objective. We would know about it, the same way we know about other things that cannot be directly observed, from its real effects. Those real effects are the first premise of each of the Five Ways (listed above).

Below, more belaboring the same points you’ve already presented, but kept to avoid the accusation of malicious editing.

(November 20, 2015 at 1:36 pm)Esquilax Wrote: …and then going further and attempting to push them out beyond the boundaries of the physical universe as a whole, into a region of spacetime that we already know operates completely differently to anything we've ever observed.

The big bang and the state of the universe prior to it represent exactly such evidence. You can't have uniform physical principles within a space that we've established does not behave like the universe that informs those principles in any way. This isn't... it's not exactly a controversial statement.

Like I hinted at earlier, you’re trading on an ambiguity between the physical universe and reality as a whole. The known physical laws do appear to break-down near time zero. I don’t know I wasn’t there, but from what I hear extensions in time and space don’t exist in any meaningful way there. That doesn’t mean that all the laws of reality, metaphysical laws like the PNC or the Indiscernibility of Identicals, no longer apply. I suppose you can argue that every law governing reality is up for grabs, like possible worlds where numerability works differently, but that would undermine the very possibility of a rationally ordered and intelligible reality, i.e. nihilistic absurdity. And I know how you feel about that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Exposing the Intellectual Bankruptcy of Atheists Criticizing Religion - by Neo-Scholastic - November 20, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How atheists can enjoy religion Ahriman 100 9867 September 5, 2021 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Todji812
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11753 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion? Delicate 860 160856 January 19, 2016 at 12:03 am
Last Post: IATIA
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5322 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Criticizing Islam is racist? Lemonvariable72 128 19927 November 5, 2015 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20904 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 56459 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11647 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Thiests: This how atheists see religion Gooders1002 22 8713 May 5, 2013 at 5:35 am
Last Post: Confused Ape
  Atheists are pagan worshipers who started another religion. bjhulk 42 28440 February 16, 2011 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Calmedady