Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 9:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe.
RE: Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe.
(May 11, 2016 at 11:37 am)Emjay Wrote:
(May 11, 2016 at 11:10 am)vorlon13 Wrote: And a corollary (that I feel is applicable universally);

I've pretty much always known Mormonism is a big heaping steaming pile of total shit, but until I encountered the Tanner's book, "The Changing World of Mormonism", I had no idea how absolutely thoroughly and completely Mormonism had been debunked by the Mormons themselves, especially in regards to their bizarre  compulsion to record and PUBLISH all their contrivances and machinations as they've hammered, tweaked, rewritten, re-revelated, revised, and changed ALL their dogma.

All religions follow the same play book (since they are all administered by human beings) and having the relatively recent LDS cluster fuck so copiously documented, it provides a wonderful insight as to how the sausage is and was made in all the faiths.

Contradictions in the Bible, (and whatever version of the bible each faith ascribes to) are just more of the same inveigling we have literally unendingly documented in the Mormon sphere.

As for the early resistance Mormonism felt from (mostly) other Christian faiths, I'm thinking those other faiths should have tried harder to rid the world of Mormonism since ultimately, Mormonism indicted them all by spilling the beans on how they've all played the religion game.

I didn't know anything about Mormonism until I came here and met you, but it gets more and more interesting with every post you make  Wink I guess it provides them with a sense of legitimacy and tradition to record every change they make... kind of like the Civil Service who - according to Yes Minister - love their red tape and find it gives them meaning  Wink I'd love to read about that though... the Mormon handbook to how to make up a religion as you go along  Big Grin I guess Catholicism is kind of similar in that regard, but perhaps to a lesser extent?

How many records do the catholics have from 1500 to 2000 years ago ??

They might have been even worse than the Mormons for changing shit, although, just being similar is all I'm claiming. Realizing at least in the early phases, all the religions make it up as they go along.  Another example; even the Lutherans don't have a problem backing off on stuff Luther himself imposed upon them, and the current day Lutherans feel no compulsion to put an asterisk on their signage and some small print at the bottom regardless of what they change.

And the hysterically funny thing about the Mormons publishing all their changes has been their insistence all along nothing has changed at all.  A Mormon can look at the word 'up' originally revealed by Joe Smith and published contemporaneously, and is now in 2016 published Mormon revered dogma as 'down' and all the good Mormons will comment on how amazingly accurate the current version is.

It's the same play book for all of them.  And God bless the Mormons for leaving the play book out where we could find it.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe. - by vorlon13 - May 11, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 25369 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1525 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 4124 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2625 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 87216 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 8044 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10517 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Don't you just love the hypocrisy of religion. ignoramus 86 22520 July 16, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? PETE_ROSE 455 106706 April 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 23476 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic