Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 9:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe.
RE: Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe.
(May 17, 2016 at 1:27 pm)Drich Wrote:
(May 16, 2016 at 7:15 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: You keep saying such things, but the only thing you have backing them is your own rather fallible interpretation of your life history.  A history, I might add, that you have no compulsion from changing at whim.  I've documented in the past how your stories change with each telling.  You're selling a bill of goods which is half imagination and reinterpreted memory.  So don't play the old 'humble me' card.  That type of dissonance springs from deep desires, and yours have precious little to do with God.
then please.. Share some of these "changes." Or by changes do you mean I go into greater detail where before I might have said something like "I don't want to 'boast' about what he said specifically, but it all came true so far."

Sure, sure, nothing but excuses.

https://atheistforums.org/thread-20378-post-492255.html

Quote: You simply chose the one which conformed to your prior belief.  Or would you like to provide chapter and verse to back up your interpretation.
Love to
Mt 25:41 41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
2thess 1:9 9 They will suffer the punishment of peternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might,

That's weak sauce, Drich. Of course hell is going to be away from God, that doesn't in any way support that the suffering consists in the privation, and not the eternal fire which is mentioned in your very quote.

Quote:The word Gehenna is that used for hell in the New Testament.  If hell was not meant to be likened to this burning refuse heap, then why is it used as the name of hell?
Because it was the closest thing 'we' could identify with. If you go beyond a google check Hell is also described
"the pit, The Second Death, The Void, it is also described as a prison containing 'Caves of Darkness'/Where the fallen angels are kept until the final judgement. The Idea of Gehenna was a place where things/unwanted things or even bodies were burned/destroyed. This is the physical picture of the Spiritual destruction of Soul, mind and body is what the physical place was meant for us to process or understand what happened on a spiritual level.

You're reading between the lines, dearie. Nowhere is this said in the bible. That's your invention.

Quote: Your Genesis day 3 being a prime example.  You are so blinded by your own confidence in your version that you completely ignored what was plainly written in the text.  It's like you're in a frenzy in which the only words you hear are your own.  Don't bother protesting if you're incapable of actually examining the evidence.  
Please this is what I am looking for. What of genesis day 3 did i say that is wrong?

https://atheistforums.org/thread-41813-p...pid1221460

(May 17, 2016 at 1:27 pm)Drich Wrote: You want to address me topically I will go as long as your willing to respond.

Fine, then let's address your interpretation of A/S/K. You claim that this is a guaranteed method of finding the holy spirit. Yet when people tell you that they have indeed sought God for a long time and found nothing, you discount this as them not having had a correct, biblical vision of God. In the first place, it says "seek and you shall find" -- no qualifications. These people did seek and did not find. Your rationalization as to why they didn't find is supposedly based on the parable of the wise and foolish builders, that those who have an incorrect vision of God are like the foolish builders. Well let's look and see what the parable says.

Quote:The Wise and Foolish Builders

24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

Matthew 5:24-27

It specifically states that the foolish builders are those who hear his words at the sermon on the mount and fail to put them into practice. Nothing about a 'correct' vision of the biblical God. And I would think that the people who were serious Christians for a long time are a better judge of their adherence to the sermon on the mount than you are. In fact, in the sermon Jesus instructs people how to 'seek' God, in the form of the Lord's prayer. It would be audacious of you to claim that these previously serious Christians were unacquainted with the Lord's prayer. Regardless, the parable of the wise and foolish builder does not offer you support for claiming that God is looking for any 'correct' vision of God. What is your scriptural basis for this claim?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe. - by Angrboda - May 17, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 25369 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1525 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 4124 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2625 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 87216 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 8044 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10517 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Don't you just love the hypocrisy of religion. ignoramus 86 22520 July 16, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? PETE_ROSE 455 106708 April 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 23477 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic