Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 7:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't believe in Christianity primarily because of the brain
RE: I don't believe in Christianity primarily because of the brain
Drich Wrote:
LadyForCamus Wrote:Yeah, good point.  Let's work on a definition before we can even talk about evidence in favor of such a thing.

Did you not read the article?

That was the primary take way from it, was a defination the article gives coinsides/works with the 2007 Theory of Biocentrism. The old term 'soul' is being described in the theory as it's primary biological life force. It is conscientiousness. 

That is your definition. This theory explains makes an attempt to account for Conscientiousness as a product of biology. which Robert Lanza, M.D., the currently Chief Scientific Officer at the Astellas Institute for Regenerative Medicine and Adjunct Professor at Wake Forest University School of Medicine.

For the purpose of this article drew parallels with His/our understanding of the word soul.

Both you and bobbie-value want to poo poo on this topic without doing any of the leg work.. Intellectual dishonesty anyone? How about a side of closed minded laziness?

Conscientiousness is being careful and thorough in your responsibilities. I think you meant 'consciousness'. If you define 'soul' as a synonym for 'consciousness', you have thrown out the part where it can exist apart from the brain. Additionally, there is no evidence for a 'life force' and biocentrism is a pet notion of Dr. Lanza's, not a scientific theory in the sense of: 'a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment.' 

Speaking of fallacies, if you think Lanza being an MD makes him credible, that would be an argument from inappropriate authority. He has no particular credentials that would allow him to have an expert opinion on the existence of souls. He draws on science that he isn't qualified to analyze (quantum physics) to reach conclusions that his field isn't qualified to address (the existence of life force or souls).

Do you think all a soul is, is consciousness; without reference to surviving the body after death? If not, it's rather intellectually dishonest of you to bring in Lanza's speculations as if they supported your belief in an immaterial soul that preserves your consciousness after death.

And what's intellectually lazy is grabbing any article that you think is on your side instead of troubling yourself to look for one that is peer reviewed, or even one that actually presents the evidence you're trying to say exists. On the other hand, you may have looked for one diligently, failed to find it, and presented this extremely weak substitute for actual evidence; in which case you're not lazy, just dishonest.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I don't believe in Christianity primarily because of the brain - by Mister Agenda - September 8, 2016 at 10:34 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mental gymnastics from the brain-eating religion FredTheLobster 13 1565 June 28, 2021 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Frank Apisa
  Which is the cause, which the effect: religious fundamentalism <=> brain impairment Whateverist 31 5445 March 20, 2018 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christianity Can't Be True Because... pipw1995 75 12121 August 31, 2016 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 7091 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
Photo Christian Memes/Pics Because Reasons -- Please add your favorites stop_pushing_me 29 13915 September 23, 2015 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Don't Understand The Appeal Of Christianity To People Imaginos7 30 7902 September 10, 2015 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: Lek
  WHY do we have religion? Because fables are FUN. drfuzzy 5 1714 September 1, 2015 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  They Finally Got It Right....Because of a Bigot. Minimalist 9 3362 August 7, 2015 at 2:07 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Ha, huh because.... Science says so! Drich 122 31928 August 3, 2015 at 9:09 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Don't ever question. Just believe. TubbyTubby 41 7211 July 6, 2015 at 10:40 am
Last Post: Iroscato