Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 7:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I am a theist, what do you think of my proof for God existing?
RE: I am a theist, what do you think of my proof for God existing?
(November 20, 2016 at 3:14 pm)Mariosep Wrote: Please atheists here, and no need to use the words magic, magical, in your messages against God existing, just as with your foul language, that is not going to save you from the fact that you are always running away from the issue itself, on God exists or not.
Now you are the one running away from the issue.  "Magic" is defined as "the power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces".  By its definition you ARE talking about magic.  I know, you prefer to use the word "miracle", but that's a mental trick on your part to set your deity apart from any other supernatural thing.  As I'm sure I've told you before, your God is not special to me.  I will not give it special treatment.  You see, your claims are as ludicrous to me as those of the Wiccan casting spells, which they are at least honest enough to actually call "magic".  Your God is not special.  He is deserving of no special consideration, no special words until you can PROVE he is.  And even if he were special, even if I believed he were real, the word "magic" would STILL properly describe his influence on the universe.  It's the right word, it's not just one you want to hear unless you can explain to me why it is not just special pleading on your part, insisting that I simply accept that YOUR deity is so super-special that while those OTHER guys do "magic", yours doesn't do "magic".  Miracles are really something ENTIRELY different than magic for some reason OTHER than that you want them to be.

The word "magic" is being properly used in reference to your deity until and unless you can show otherwise.  Hell, Moses even once cast the exact same spell as an Egyptian magician to turn a staff into a snake.  Even in the Bible the works of your deity are no different from any other magic, they're just more powerful than other magics.

IN FACT, there actually IS NO OTHER WORD which works in all instances.  A "miracle" is defined as "a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency" or "a highly improbable or extraordinary event, development, or accomplishment that brings very welcome consequences".  In both cases those are "welcome" events.  The flooding of the planet, the destruction of two cities, the earth swallowing up thousands of Jews who worshiped the golden calf, the plagues of Egypt...NONE of those things matches the definition for "miracle", and neither does turning a staff into a snake.  None of those things are properly described as "miracles".  Magic is the ONLY word there is to label those events.

So I ask you, if magic isn't the right word to describe the flooding of the earth, what is the right word?  Of course I already know where your mind is going with this.  "God's judgement".  What about turning the staff into a snake?  And before you call that a "miracle" do remember that Pharaoh's magician did the EXACT SAME TRICK!  How is one magic and the other is not?  Special pleading.
Have you ever noticed all the drug commercials on TV lately?  Why is it the side effects never include penile enlargement or super powers?
Side effects may include super powers or enlarged penis which may become permanent with continued use.  Stop taking Killatol immediately and consult your doctor if you experience penis enlargement of more than 3 inches, laser vision, superhuman strength, invulnerability, the ability to explode heads with your mind or time travel.  Killatoll is not for everyone, especially those who already have convertibles or vehicles of ridiculous size to supplement penis size.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I am a theist, what do you think of my proof for God existing? - by Asmodee - November 22, 2016 at 1:16 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 6084 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 3390 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 482 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Europeans already think about Harry Potter, not about god Interaktive 11 1140 January 1, 2023 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2086 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 2077 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 1009 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Proof at least one god is b.s. onlinebiker 10 1418 March 16, 2021 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What do you think of LGBTQ2? SlimePumper 58 7274 February 18, 2019 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Agnostico
  Who do you think is best atheist of our times? GGG 70 7446 January 22, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: GGG