Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2026, 10:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Who reacted the worst when you "came out" as an Atheist?
#46
RE: Who reacted the worst when you "came out" as an Atheist?
(April 6, 2017 at 12:11 pm)Nymphadora Wrote: My best friend of 30+ years got on the phone with me and put me on speaker phone so her very religious husband could sway me. Wasn't going to work. I ended up hanging up on the both of them and refused to speak to her for two weeks. We are still close, but I made damn sure to set up a boundary that religion is not to be talked about when we visit or talk to each other.

See, I would never make that rule because 100% of my "religious friends" that stuck around after I deconverted have also deconverted because I refused to stop attacking their religious beliefs.  I have no religious friends or family members anymore, not because they all left, but because I showed them how idiotic their religion was.

(April 6, 2017 at 3:19 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: A female friend of mine had a horrible experience. Her aunt snooped in her room and found atheist literature, told her parents, she admitted that she had become an atheist, and they kicked her out of the house and cut off her college money. It was several years before they would even speak to her again and a few more before she was trusted to be around her nieces and nephews unsupervised. Her parents are Pentecostal like mine, but I was in my 40s when I came out to my father's side of the family and already lived in a different state, so it probably helped that I wasn't as vulnerable as my friend.

Just more proof that religion makes people dicks.
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide mankind that cannot be achieved as well or better through secular means.
Bitch at my blog! Follow me on Twitter! Subscribe to my YouTube channel!
Reply



Messages In This Thread
RE: Who reacted the worst when you "came out" as an Atheist? - by Cephus - April 7, 2017 at 6:10 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the worst religion in existence? Hi600 89 22861 May 6, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Pride - the worst sin according to C.S.Lewis Duty 72 22155 February 25, 2023 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Information The worst thing according to Iranians Eclectic 2 1679 September 19, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Kitan Etos 17 4311 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Question How do you prove to everybody including yourself you're an atheist? Walter99 48 14179 March 23, 2021 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  If you're an Atheist, what comforts you? Dragonfly 161 38334 December 4, 2018 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Any ignostics who came out of the closet? Der/die AtheistIn 10 4328 June 3, 2018 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 14085 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  One of the worst chick tracts ever dyresand 133 45945 November 10, 2016 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 9750 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)