Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 7, 2024, 2:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief?
RE: What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief?
(April 15, 2017 at 1:29 am)Aroura Wrote:
(April 14, 2017 at 8:45 pm)emjay Wrote: Sometimes it's hard to tell online and it definitely seems like you've been on the Red Bull for a few days Wink

Anyway, I see that we're at an impasse so I'll drop the subject, except to say that if you ever want to know where I was coming from, I'd recommend reading the book 'What The Buddha Taught' by Walpola Sri Rahula, ISBN 9781851681426. That's my favourite book on Buddhism and the most influential for me.

The Buddha's writings are like legal documents, with every term clearly defined, and much repetition to get the points across... I'd swear he had OCD Wink But that sort of writing appeals to me because I like to know exactly where I stand in anything, with nothing left vague or to chance...  it's not like reading the Bible at all but rather reading a philosophical/psychological theory, and one with no appeal to faith, only logic and observation. So if you wish to dismiss my 'claim' on the grounds that it's bullshit or that the logic doesn't convince you, fair enough, that's your prerogative and I won't argue with that but just be clear that all I am claiming is that some (and I would personally say most... barring the reincarnation stuff which is only a small part of it) of the Buddha's alleged writings (in this book) make sound logical and psychological sense, for use as tools in this life for happier living. That's all I'm claiming. And for me it is manifestly true, without any appeal to the mystical, because it does help me deal better psychologically with things. But as Neo is fond of saying... YMMV... and clearly it does. So there we are... I'll drop the subject now.
Triple thumbs up for this post.
I use Taoism to cope, but it's very similar. Neither require appeals to the mystical or so called supernatural.

There are a number of modern psychological techniques that use eastern philsophy, not religion but philosophy, as part of their basis. Not hokum, but scientific methods. Practices used to divert, calm, and cope.

It's better than tossing Xanex at a person, and it should not be laughed off nor lumped in with religions that rely on magical thinking and special pleading.

Namaste, emjay!

Thanks Aroura  Heart I don't know anything about Taoism, except that you and Aegon find it appealing, but from what you've said, you've got me curious to see what it has to say Smile

For me, Buddhism (and probably/maybe Taoism) is basically a philosophy of 'fuck it' Wink That's been it's greatest gift to me; perspective... helps keep me grounded... and perhaps even better than the Clockwork Universe in that regard.

You should see a Buddhist forum in action. It's completely different from here... a complete change of pace. Everybody says no more and no less than is necessary to make their point, and if it looks like an argument is going to develop, people just pre-empt it and gracefully withdraw. In that regard it's kind of boring... not a place you'd really go to hang out... but nonetheless I do find it inspiring because it's a very peaceful existence.

The hardest part of mastering non-attachment I think is in learning how to neither cling to or push things away... just peacefully co-exist, without attachment, to whatever there is. Where life and all things we could be attached to are likened to a rock concert; you go in fully aware that it won't last forever but that doesn't stop you enjoying it in the moment, or indeed buying tickets to go.

My sister gave me this link and found it hilarious but funnily enough, I didn't actually find it that hilarious because it's pretty accurate as to what meditation can be like  Big Grin

Namaste to you to Aroura! (I don't know what it means, but I'm guessing it's not "fuck off" Big Grin Wink )

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief? - by emjay - April 15, 2017 at 8:15 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 5696 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My Almighty VS your argument against it Won2blv 43 3986 May 5, 2022 at 9:13 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Star A positive identity for atheists - Crusading Faithful Atheism Duty 95 6687 February 27, 2022 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Duty
  Sharing your atheism james hart 15 1898 April 24, 2020 at 5:25 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  My argument for atheism + Tom Fearnley 166 20242 April 20, 2020 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Agnostico
  Best argument for Atheism in my view Kimoev 29 4285 September 5, 2019 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Vince
  Informing aging relatives of your Atheism Bahana 7 1309 October 7, 2018 at 8:49 am
Last Post: Bahana
  What is your problem with Atheism? ignoramus 113 23787 June 3, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27795 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Poll: What is your Specific Level of Atheism? camlov2019 68 8838 January 27, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: flagbears