Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 6:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our theists of all labels please answer....
RE: Our theists of all labels please answer....
(April 23, 2017 at 4:38 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(April 23, 2017 at 4:25 pm)emjay Wrote: I agree... empathy is innate... can I go now?  Wink

SILENCE! Tongue No, not until I work you over with brass knuckles and pepper spray. Big Grin

I thought you were already doing that  Big Grin

Quote:If you agree empathy is innate, then why would you feel the need to point to any "teachings". If empathy is in us, and I agree it is us, then no need to follow or like anything. You can, sure, but why would you feel the need? If you like that then ultimately you are admitting it is merely something you like, and not something that is required. Empathy being innate, and I agree proves no label or writing is required to explain where our empathy comes from.

Because mindfulness is not about empathy, it's about recognising your own mental state, whatever it is... eg recognising when you're feeling angry... which is also an innate state... and therefore taking a step back from it. Once you recognise a mental state you're in objectively, it loses some of its power over you... you can then choose whether to get sucked into it or let it go.

You may like being in anger but I don't. To me, anger is a miserable state to be in and one I'd rather not be in if I can help it... and with mindfulness I can help it. It is a way of tackling suffering from the inside; of accepting that you can't control the world, only your response to it. If you're angry and you argue with other angry people, nothing good ever comes from it... both sides dig in... both sides suffer from tunnel vision... both sides want to be right... both sides don't want to back down etc. But if you objectively recognise all of that, you can nip it in the bud before it starts or let go of whatever fuels it later on... such as personal feelings of pride.

Quote:FOAM FOAM FOAM, FROTH FROTH FROTH..... FIST SHAKE, ........ ABBA VIDEO!  Big Grin

Please do... we could do with some ABBA Wink

Quote:Just something for you to consider. If it is simply a personal like, then admit it, that's all. 

But once you go beyond calling it something that is more than a like, then you cant simply claim objectivity, you have to produce a neutral method and allow it to have independent peer review.

It is a personal thing... 'like'... and that's all I've ever said. It's a psychological approach that works for me... something else may work for you. But it only appeals to me on logical/scientific grounds; I do not believe in gods, I do not believe in reincarnation, I am not superstitious in any way, shape, or form. I'm aware of all the tricks the mind can play... confirmation bias, self-fulfilling prophesies, gap-filling as you mention below. Mindfulness speaks for itself, wherever the idea comes from because at it's core it's simply a means of introspection. I've always been introspective, long before I learnt about Buddhism, so I was already being mindful in many regards... Buddhist teachings just built on that and that's why they appealed. As to peer review, I'm sure it's already been done, to the extent that it's used in modern psychological therapy. But as I said, it speaks for itself because it's just observation of your own mind.

Quote:Son of a bitch sorry emjay, all this time I thought you were female.

NOW SEE that is also part of this, our brains gap fill and our perceptions of reality can be flawed. I don't know how I got that idea, but I gap filled. But now that you have corrected me, I now know you are a bloke.

No worries... you're not the first Wink I'm just a gay bloke and not particularly manly... I'd rather talk about feelings than football... so that's probably why Wink

Messages In This Thread
Our theists of all labels please answer.... - by Brian37 - April 23, 2017 at 9:23 am
RE: Our theists of all labels please answer.... - by emjay - April 23, 2017 at 5:39 pm
Our theists of all labels please answer.... - by Valyza1 - April 23, 2017 at 9:12 pm
Our theists of all labels please answer.... - by Valyza1 - April 24, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Our theists of all labels please answer.... - by Valyza1 - April 24, 2017 at 2:57 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help Denzil99 37 2101 June 11, 2024 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  God is not the answer Silver 47 5907 October 31, 2018 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Reading the bible: please help! ignoramus 71 16058 October 8, 2018 at 1:52 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 18983 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Dark matter kicks ass again. Please watch. ignoramus 3 995 June 4, 2018 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  To All Those Theists Who Aren't In It For The Swag Edwardo Piet 17 3298 June 2, 2018 at 8:53 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Please describe your god's loyalty reward scheme. I_am_not_mafia 101 27109 November 23, 2017 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Cod
  10 Questions Biblical Literalists Cannot Honestly Answer Silver 431 136101 August 12, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 23606 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 14737 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan