Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 2, 2026, 11:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
morality is subjective and people don't have free will
RE: morality is subjective and people don't have free will
(May 18, 2017 at 11:11 pm)Aroura Wrote:
(May 18, 2017 at 10:35 pm)emjay Wrote: I have no experience of Catholicism which sounds worse, given all the ritual etc that has to be learnt, but as a former Protestant, when I was about fourteen I went through weeks or months of inconsolable terror and nightmares at the prospect of hell because I thought I'd committed the unforgivable sin and blasphemed the Holy Spirit. I don't remember how I got through that but the point is it was an experience I did not need to have, and shouldn't have had,  because I never truly chose Christianity in the first place... never chose it as an informed decision of adulthood.

I'm sorry emjay, that sounds truly terrible.  

Heart


The sect I was brought up in, and I sometimes forget but Catholics really vary from sect to sect (Like Franciscans, Jesuits, Dominican) was not big on talking about hell, or sin, when I was a kid.  I really feel lucky about that.  I know a lot of people are not so lucky.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Aroura Heart

Well I don't really remember there being much talk of hell per se in my upbringing... as opposed to how you guys describe Catholicism and that 'Good News Club'. Ie I think the above was my own imagination more than anything else, following on from conclusions I had reached about committing the unforgivable sin. But nonetheless, the ideas that led to that were in place and they didn't need to be. My upbringing was very anti-ritual/graven images... so the more a church had those aspects the less it was trusted and therefore most of the churches we went to were very simple places, most of which without their own building, just renting it from somewhere, where it was just a meeting of the minds but without so much as a crucifix on the wall. So in stark contrast to Catholicism, which sounds a hell of a lot worse in the sense of ideas drummed in, and that 'Good News Club' which sounds positively disgusting.

Anyway, I'm not faulting the intentions of my family or that community; it was/is a kind community that always had each other's backs. But nonetheless, the kids are dragged along for the ride, without informed consent and that's what I take issue with. If religions left kids out of it, and concentrated their efforts and teachings on converting adults only, I wouldn't mind so much. In practice there's perhaps not that much you could do to change that and reduce the exposure that kids have to its ideas... given that its where the parents interests, beliefs, and sense of community lie and thus to exclude kids from it would end up excluding them from pretty much all of family life which can't be good either. So it's a bit catch 22. But nonetheless, I think it would be a big step if theists would not consider it their responsibility to teach/convert their children to their religion... ie realise that children are dependent, impressionable, imaginative, and lack critical thinking skills so therefore any decisions they come to in that regard do not and cannot represent an informed decision.
Reply



Messages In This Thread
RE: morality is subjective and people don't have free will - by emjay - May 19, 2017 at 9:49 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This atheist is embarrassing, and I don't like her. Here's why. Twiggy 22 1700 August 29, 2026 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
Thumbs Down Words That People Don’t Use Anymore, But Should BrianSoddingBoru4 66 8489 February 23, 2026 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Free COVID tests again awty 6 1639 December 13, 2023 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: awty
  Looking for free online platform? franzis 6 2161 May 13, 2023 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: awty
  Restaurant to eat free for a year Fake Messiah 6 2089 January 17, 2023 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Stuff you have done (that most people haven' t) onlinebiker 54 14590 October 4, 2022 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 2256 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: awty
  Should poor people have kids? BrokenQuill92 78 21797 November 29, 2019 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Not another morality post!! Mechaghostman2 5 1964 February 18, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  One of the tragedies of free will purplepurpose 0 770 November 20, 2018 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)