Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 22, 2024, 9:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
morality is subjective and people don't have free will
RE: morality is subjective and people don't have free will
Catholic_Lady Wrote:Yes, it is horrible. All of it. Any bit of it is too much. No disagreement there, as im sure you all know.

But my issue is this: are you trying to say then that these acts/belief represent mainstream Christianity? Because thats the impression im getting, and the generalization is the only thing ive objected to. (EDIT TO ADD: I reread your post, and sorry... you did indeed acknowledge that this isn't mainstream behavior in Christianity, but might be mainstream in evangelicals specifically. Are you trying to say I should be more vocal about it? Raise awareness, etc?)  

There are more than 2 billion of us world wide. I just don't like being put into a box with the most horrible people out of the group. I also find irony in so many people being quick to say "not all Muslims ________", and being super quick to shut down any generalization or criticism of Islam, yet have no problem doing it to christians. No one wants to be generalized or put into a box. Not Muslims and not us Christians either.

You don't have to raise awareness. That's not specifically your job though more power to you if you're up to it. Acknowledgment that it's not rare is all that I'm looking for here, and that it has to do with traditional Christian teachings that were mainstream in living memory.

I do not recall that time when the atheists on this forum had to argue with, say, a Syrian Muslim that there's a problem with religious violence in their country. If they are against the violence, that's fantastic, but if their response were 'it's not mainstream, I haven't personally experienced it, it's just the extremists' I don't think we would consider that anything but defensive posturing.

If someone said all Christians teach their kids that they're sinners who deserve hell before they're seven years old, I would agree that is an incorrect statement. I think it's a minority, but it's not a tiny one.

When someone complains about white people, I don't say 'not all white people' Because I know that if they didn't say 'all white people' they didn't actually mean every single white person without exception, and they probably didn't really mean it if they did say all white people. If they really do mean it, and it's not something like 'all white people are Caucasians', I'm happy to disagree with them if they're worth the trouble or it would be educational for onlookers.

Catholic_Lady Wrote:Do you think eventually, if the world got sooo overpopulated that an individual's survival depended on there being less people so that there could be enough resources left for us personally, we'd eventually evolve to believe it's immoral to help save someone who's dying? Assuming they are a complete stranger and not friend or family I mean - just some random person.

Hmm. Perhaps fortunately, our genes operate according to game theory for the most part and natural selection acts on individuals. It will always be in the 'interest' of your genes for you to propagate, and it will always be organisms that do propagate that will be selected for. There would probably be fewer extinctions if a species could act in its own long-term best interest instead of each member of the species being selected for their own ability to propagate (which can include pro-social behavior).

At least we've evolved the ability to see where we're headed, so it's at least theoretically possible for us to choose to sacrifice our own propagation for the continuation of the species...but those are exactly the sort of people natural selection operates against.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Messages In This Thread
RE: morality is subjective and people don't have free will - by Mister Agenda - May 19, 2017 at 2:20 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stuff you have done (that most people haven' t) onlinebiker 54 5141 October 4, 2022 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Should poor people have kids? BrokenQuill92 78 7631 November 29, 2019 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Not another morality post!! Mechaghostman2 5 865 February 18, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do you have friends who don’t share your political views? Losty 13 2074 November 19, 2018 at 12:00 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 1161 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  Cordless headphones, I don't have the words... Gawdzilla Sama 9 1791 July 9, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Dreaming is free,.....and evidence free... Brian37 6 1195 October 2, 2017 at 4:29 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How Long Does Someone Have to be Dead Before People stop Referring to them as Late? Rhondazvous 10 3435 May 18, 2017 at 11:58 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Have our lizard people overlords gotten lazy, or arrogant? CapnAwesome 5 1412 March 19, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Real world example of "I don't even know what I don't even know" ErGingerbreadMandude 24 4473 January 25, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: KUSA