Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 8:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society?
RE: Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society?
(June 8, 2017 at 6:51 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(June 8, 2017 at 1:27 pm)Aliza Wrote: I don't see it that way, but we can agree to disagree on the matter.

Some "being" whistled up the Universe and you don't think magic was required? And I don't agree to agree with your point by not disagreeing. Don't volunteer my position.

I apologize for volunteering your position.

(June 8, 2017 at 6:45 pm)Khemikal Wrote:
(June 8, 2017 at 5:21 pm)Aliza Wrote: My grade point average would suggest that I'm capable of separating my religious beliefs from my science.  Cool
It really wouldn't....and couldn't?  This honestly isn;t a dig on your intelligence, it's just that being smart or doing well at school doesn't do anything to prevent you from having dissonant views.  Does it help any of those other religious people, who are demonstrably wrong, with their mistaken religious views?  No, no it does not.  

Quote:(I had to Google "transubstantiation.")

Judaism doesn't oppose science and science doesn't oppose Judaism. That's the position Jews take, so studying science presents no theological problem that I have to work around. When we perceive a conflict between science and religion, we can simply reevaluate. We're allowed to do that because we're Jews, not Christians. We don't play by the same set of rules that they play by. -But even if I was a member of a literalist religion, I could still be a scientist because I could still choose to compartmentalize my two worlds. I've yet to write "G-d did it," in the answer field of an exam, and there are people of other religions that I study with, and I've never known them to write that answer down either.

In fact, religion never even comes up in conversation in my science world, even though I know there are Christians, Muslims and Hindus in my classes.

OFC judaism is at odds with science.............................it;s pretty much the main actor in being at odds with science.....?  I'll be honest, I expected something more exotic.......

Is judaism -not- the religion founded upon the fictional narrative that christians call the OT?  Expanded, to include yet more fiction -not- explicitly contained within christendom....omitting the newish partys/...of the testament, which are decidedly christian and decidedly other-than-jewish?

(@ googling transub - didn't learn a thing, did you....... it's fucking gibberish, eh...lol.  They may as well have said nothing - would have worked out better.)

To your first point, any religion is at odds if you choose to make it at odds. Likewise, any religion can work if you choose to make it work. 

Christians founded their religion using a little bit of Judaism, yes, but that's a totally different conversation. Basically, they skipped reading the book and just went off the class notes of a D or F student. Judaism has nothing to do with Christianity. They’re not even similar religions, but everyone thinks they understand Judaism because they think it’s just Christianity without Jesus.

Let’s say for argument’s sake that I literally believe that a man named Moshe crossed a marshy sea of weeds that –for whatever reason, tides, magic, G-d, or just good fortune- revealed a handy land bridge so he could make it safely across with the Israelites in tow. Now, suppose I’m asked in a class to calculate how much fuel it will take to launch a rocket a certain amount of meters into the atmosphere. Whether or not I think Moshe crossed a marshy body of water doesn’t factor into how much fuel it’s going to take to get that rocket to the correct altitude.

Let’s suppose that I believe G-d created the universe, and I’m asked to mix a few chemicals together to create a new product. The reaction will work (or won’t work) based on principles of chemistry, not on my personal belief in a deity. Just as a side note, usually when I’m in the lab, the reactions won’t work on the first try because I suck at chemistry. My past lab partner would utter, "Please Jesus, make this work." And so what? It didn't help, and it didn't hurt; it just made her happy. Only having the right ingredients and the right steps ever resulted in a successful experiment. 

Anyway, I don’t see an inherent conflict between religion and science as they deal with different principles all together. Yes, there are those people who are too dumb to learn new things, and yes, usually they’re practicing some whack-a-doodle, fundamentalist religion. I think we need to choose our allies carefully and work with those allies to stamp these religions out. But my position is not to worry so much about whether or not the brilliant, successful scientist who figures out the cure to cancer spends his or her free wondering if there are natural instances where salt water and fresh water won't mix.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? - by Aliza - June 8, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 6254 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 3529 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1091 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  What do atheists think of pagans and wiccans Woah0 56 4160 September 18, 2022 at 5:32 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  History of abolishing God from the society Fake Messiah 42 2729 February 26, 2022 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 1014 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 2033 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4561 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5904 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  What do you think of LGBTQ2? SlimePumper 58 7314 February 18, 2019 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Agnostico