Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 2:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Believing in Deities is a Form of Psychosis
RE: Believing in Deities is a Form of Psychosis
(August 4, 2017 at 4:07 pm)mordant Wrote:
(August 4, 2017 at 1:36 pm)ComradeMeow Wrote: Atheism has no ideology and nothing to say about anything except that somebody lacks theistic beliefs, so why on earth would somebody settle on atheism without anything else in their life? Why not employ philosophical practices into your life and develop your own religion of ritual, morals and community.
Atheism itself is a narrow belief position on a single topic, however, it arises out of being a person who does not afford belief to the unsubstantiated, a form of empiricism or rationalism, which is how one arrives at a decent epistemological standard or system and chooses it over failed epistemologies. Therefore one does not arrive at a position of atheism for any sort of informed reason or as a matter of choice, without having some philosophical underpinnings.* It is these underpinnings that theists mistake for an "atheist worldview" when atheism isn't the view, it is the result of the view. What theists are better off railing against is not atheists, but empiricists and rationalists. Because even those empiricists who have not yet become atheists, are heading in that direction, inexorably and inherently. Theism is based on conjecture and irrationality, and so its true enemies are empiricism and rationalism. The problem that some fundamentalists have, of course, is that they can't admit they are making irrational conjectures or unsubstantiated assertions. It cuts them to the quick to admit that, so, they prefer to go off on a tangent and demonize atheists as the embodiment, not of rationalism or empiricism, but of rebellion, hatred, licentiousness, etc.

* Of course there are a few atheists who are atheists for no better reason than some theists are theists -- because the idea appeals to them, or they want to fit in with others of like mind, or whatever. But very few people indeed openly take up a generally despised minority belief position like atheism, absent some real soul-searching.

This is exactly my point though, atheism is only the lack of belief in gods at its very basic meaning but that does not answer anything else. My morals obviously do not come from my atheism since morals and atheism have nothing to do with each other. My morals on the other hand comes from philosophy and a slight basis in biology and I am fully aware of my standards including my profound pacifism. 

Most people will only end at atheism and leave the world at a stand still and go with the societal flow. I know of most atheists whose opinions are formed merely by society and nothing else until you come to religion. I never stopped there and continued to reevaluate all of my opinions from religion to what food should I eat. 

I can easily tell you why I do the things I do and why I hold the opinions that I hold and ironically they are not opinions formulated by popular culture. I have rarely met an atheist who does not put his/her foot in their mouth when speaking on moral issues. I see the pervasive attitude of declaring religion a form of psychosis yet will acknowledge the same for transexualism despite the facts given. You cannot hold two equal issues and have two contradictory beliefs on them as if they are separate matters.

This is why I show compassion to the religious the same way I show compassion to transexuals. What I cannot do is show compassion to just one group and whole vitriolic disdain toward the other. 

I as an anti-theist will oppose theism because of its lack of truthfulness but I will not oppose it because I think I have the right conclusions about life. I will not even oppose all types of theism the same since conflating the semantics of pantheism to Abrahamic monotheism is unfair. I would not even oppose those who are like myself and enjoy the mythology of religion or what religions has to offer because I feel upset about that religions past. I would happily rejoin Islam if it dropped the theistic Muhammadiyyah bullshit and became a purely secular religion based on the practical opinions of al-Ma'ari and Zakariya al-Razi. That's not happening at the moment so I will have to hold my subscription.

The hate given towards religion as a concept though is unfounded and completely misinformed.
Ut supra, ita inferius
[Image: 0c112e9da4d42c24a073c335a3e38de1_zpsezmp...g~original]
Uƚ ƨuqɿɒ, iƚɒ inʇɘɿiuƨ

Messages In This Thread
RE: Believing in Deities is a Form of Psychosis - by Lek - August 1, 2017 at 6:20 pm
RE: Believing in Deities is a Form of Psychosis - by ComradeMeow - August 4, 2017 at 5:11 pm
RE: Believing in Deities is a Form of Psychosis - by drfuzzy - August 13, 2017 at 12:44 pm
RE: Believing in Deities is a Form of Psychosis - by drfuzzy - August 10, 2017 at 10:56 am
RE: Believing in Deities is a Form of Psychosis - by drfuzzy - August 11, 2017 at 10:05 am
RE: Believing in Deities is a Form of Psychosis - by drfuzzy - August 11, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?" Macoleco 25 1970 May 1, 2021 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Evidence for Believing Lek 368 51734 November 14, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Scientists discover new form of matter in 2017. (The end of human suffering?) %mindless_detector% 17 5404 January 29, 2017 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Trick Yourself Into Believing In God LivingNumbers6.626 10 2536 July 21, 2016 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  why are people believing in god again?? Rextos 8 2411 January 12, 2016 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: TrueChristian
  Psychosis - another reason to be anti-theist watchamadoodle 34 12795 May 9, 2015 at 5:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  "Love is believing in someone. " Mudhammam 15 4385 December 7, 2014 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Atheism is a form of religion... Mudhammam 35 8557 October 20, 2014 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  What is your strongest reason for believing atheism is true? ShinobiAtheist 87 30793 June 19, 2014 at 8:44 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Atheism is a form of Autism! Mystical 21 7353 October 9, 2013 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Angrboda