Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trick Yourself Into Believing In God
Trick Yourself Into Believing In God
I never understood a personal God except understanding that I must say that I do know a personal god and a "god of the church." I guess they are separate? Growing up I was quite sure there was a God only because the contrary idea was never introduced but I never had this conviction that others had around me. Like they all seemed so adamantly sincere on their belief, but why not myself? 

So I guessed I was quite good at tricking myself before I went to college. You know, relying on fallacy of causation with literally EVERYTHING and allowing the concept of "group think" in my religious community to fill me up with all the right EMOTIONS to help me recommit every Sunday. 

But eventually, all of the emotion manipulation did not satisfy and everyone's absolute religious convictions started to become nauseating as I started to learn more about the mormon church so I took what I consider the last step to heresy for reasonable religious men: apologetics. I tried arguing others in a representative form of arguing with myself for belief. But that trick ended after about a year.

Then, embarrassingly, I turned on my agnostic inclinations to try to regain family trust and got back to the "perfect" mormon world since I hadn't come to peace with losing an entire community and tried to trick myself again because it think that is what a lot of other people do. They just fake it till they make it...but I can't do that. I rather be homeless or 6 feet deep. But luckily, my immediate family has been quite understanding since they have seen that I have tried and ended up down a road of living a lie. So I am quite grateful.

So can anyone out there identify with this? Feeling like you are being tricked, and then you know you were tricked you try to trick yourself, but you can't no matter how hard you try? Or it works for a period, like a bandaid on a shot gun wound but then the band-aid would just fall off?
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: Trick Yourself Into Believing In God
My mother used to traipse me around her church as a young lad (Mainly as an escape from her old-man for a few hours). In "Sunday School" I was always forced to listen to how other the kids had personal conversations with god and wondered why the aloof bastard wouldn't talk to me. For a few years I wondered what was wrong with me and tried (was pressured) to trick myself into believing in Him. Though, as I grew older I realized that I wasn't the problem within this scenario.
Everyone except for you had the same imaginary friend, lol.  There's something sinister, as an adult.....thinking about that...because there had to be a grownup around, listening to all these kids make shit up...building the narrative, presiding over it, as it were.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 18, 2016 at 3:41 pm)quip Wrote: My mother used to traipse me around her church as a young lad (Mainly as an escape from her old-man for a few hours). In "Sunday School" I was always forced to listen to how other the kids had personal conversations with god and wondered why the aloof bastard wouldn't talk to me. For a few years I wondered what was wrong with me and tried (was pressured) to trick myself into believing in Him. Though, as I grew older I realized that I wasn't the problem within this scenario.

Clearly, you had nothing in common.

I'm sure he tried to talk to you.

Probably when he was drunk and it was late.

He knew it was a bad idea, so he'd just poke you a bit.

Maybe sent you the odd pic of him looking happy.

He can be happy without you, you know?

He's so over you.
[Image: sig_zpsf1akqqpa.png]
(July 18, 2016 at 5:07 pm)The Viking Wrote:
(July 18, 2016 at 3:41 pm)quip Wrote: My mother used to traipse me around her church as a young lad (Mainly as an escape from her old-man for a few hours). In "Sunday School" I was always forced to listen to how other the kids had personal conversations with god and wondered why the aloof bastard wouldn't talk to me. For a few years I wondered what was wrong with me and tried (was pressured) to trick myself into believing in Him. Though, as I grew older I realized that I wasn't the problem within this scenario.

Clearly, you had nothing in common.

I'm sure he tried to talk to you.

Probably when he was drunk and it was late.

He knew it was a bad idea, so he'd just poke you a bit.

Maybe sent you the odd pic of him looking happy.

He can be happy without you, you know?

He's so over you.

You talking about my dad....or god?   Cool
Susceptibility is the key.

Some people are temporarily susceptible to the con.

Others are forever susceptible; deluded.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Once you understand their crushing need to feel "special" all becomes clear.

Quote:There is, in fact, no worldview more reprehensible in its arrogance than that of a religious believer: the creator of the universe takes an interest in me, approves of me, loves me, and will reward me after death; my current beliefs, drawn from scripture, will remain the best statement of the truth until the end of the world; everyone who disagrees with me will spend eternity in hell.

Sam Harris - Letter to a Christian Nation
I don't think I ever tricked myself into believing. I do however think there was a time where I wasn't willing to admit that I didn't believe. Looking back, I stopped going to church many years before identifying as an atheist and being able to say "no, I don't believe in god." I quit praying, too. I think I misunderstood atheism, and what it would mean for there to be no god. Before I could say that, I started thinking of prayer as absolutely useless. Either I wasn't able to take the next logical step (there's a reason prayer doesn't work!) or I did and wasn't able to realize what it really meant.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
There are a lot of make-believe ideas that are installed into our brains during our youth that are so ingrained that the idea of questioning might never occur.

I'm still sorting through the nonsense.

I don't know if 'tricked' is the right word, but it was that inaccurate view of the nature of our existence that kept me believing in God for as long as I did. Brainwashed, or biologically inclinations, not sure which I'd attribute it too. Maybe both.
I'll throw this out;

it might have been possible for Joseph Smith to have believed his crap, either from the start (and it being due to a mental condition, tumor or wiring fault or head trauma) or perhaps at a later time when after a period of charlatanism and then being surrounded by (seemingly) sincere believers he started to believe his own lies in consequence.

So in the latter angle, old horny Joe did essentially 'trick' himself into belief, in spite of himself.

Now as to the probability Joe was ever sincere, Idunno. It seems PROFOUNDLY unlikely he ever believed any of the mountains of crap he produced for a simple reason:

if he was ENTIRELY convinced God Almighty Himself had dictated the TRUTH to him and employed him as a vessel for re-establishing His True Church, would Joe have dared change even a jot or tittle of anything God said ?

I didn't think so.

Joe, by changing EVERYTHING God (supposedly) dictated, falsified his own religion. He was crooked to the bone, and crooked from start to finish, Still, funny to speculate if Joe ever managed to suck himself into his own perfidy.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1458 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?" Macoleco 25 1873 May 1, 2021 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Question How do you prove to everybody including yourself you're an atheist? Walter99 48 5597 March 23, 2021 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Evidence for Believing Lek 368 50404 November 14, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4622 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  To theists- A logical insight into Atheism ignoramus 65 11978 May 16, 2018 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Believing in Deities is a Form of Psychosis CeruleanNight 146 31187 August 13, 2017 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Believers, put yourself in my place. Gawdzilla Sama 102 12896 November 23, 2016 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  A Muslim, a Jew, a Christian, and an atheist walk into a coffee shop... Mudhammam 57 12164 November 3, 2016 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo mralstoner 31 4473 October 20, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: comet