Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 12:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohio bans doctors from performing Down Syndrome abortions
RE: Ohio bans doctors from performing Down Syndrome abortions
(December 23, 2017 at 7:48 pm)wallym Wrote: I remember a while back some politician called Children born from rape a 'blessing from God.'

What's funny (or maybe sad), is that there are people who were conceived from rape, and they got to witness the debate.  And what they saw, was more than half the country outraged at the idea someone would say their existence was 'a blessing.'  That had to be good for their morale.  But I don't think anyone even considered how that debate would make that group of people feel.

There are some similar implications for folks with Down Syndrome.  If we're aborting people because of DS, it seems like that makes them 2nd class citizens.  Certainly less valuable than healthy people.  "We aborted our baby, solely because it was going to be like you." is a tough message to send to folks with Down Syndrome, or any group with disabilities.  It certainly makes selling them on the idea they are 'equal' a stretch.  

And the slippery slope implications moving forward are going to cross a lot of people's lines, and it's going to be tough to make an argument against them once you start down the path.

Agreed and they are already stereotyped to begin with. The deck is already stacked against them from the moment they are born. So many people think that kids with DS will never amount to anything, yet there are stories in the paper all the time of accomplishments and achievements. They are just as important as anyone else and to think differently is just foolish. 

I well remember the nurse coming into my room the day after my kid was born, asking me "Does the father of your child know he has a retarded child?" 

I told her to get the fuck out of my room and then once I was able to call hospital administration and get her and six other people fired. You don't ever tell a new parent that. Ever.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ohio bans doctors from performing Down Syndrome abortions - by Joods - December 23, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Burning down the House Brian37 12 1250 December 11, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Michigan Bans Open Carry of Firearms at Polling Places onlinebiker 101 6571 October 29, 2020 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  California High Capacity Magazine Ban Shot Down. onlinebiker 73 2892 August 25, 2020 at 1:37 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  St. Louis attorneys draw down on protestors passing by. Gawdzilla Sama 97 6206 July 20, 2020 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Ohio At It Again BrianSoddingBoru4 16 1184 December 1, 2019 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  More religious liberty in Ohio brewer 42 2995 November 21, 2019 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Michigan Bans Flavored E Cigarettes onlinebiker 48 4017 September 13, 2019 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Nine killed in Dayton, Ohio EgoDeath 120 9118 August 14, 2019 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Bounty Hunters found not guilty in case of gunning down innocent black man Cecelia 21 1605 August 3, 2019 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  FB bans 'dangerous' individuals Foxaèr 155 9935 May 13, 2019 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4