Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More religious liberty in Ohio
More religious liberty in Ohio
Hopefully it won't be as bad as it sounds, but I don't understand why this is even a thing.  

"The Ohio House passed the “Student Religious Liberties Act.” Under the law, students can’t be penalized if their work is scientifically wrong as long as the reasoning is because of their religious beliefs."

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ohio-s...n-answers/
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: More religious liberty in Ohio
(November 19, 2019 at 2:27 pm)brewer Wrote: Hopefully it won't be as bad as it sounds, but I don't understand why this is even a thing.  

"The Ohio House passed the “Student Religious Liberties Act.” Under the law, students can’t be penalized if their work is scientifically wrong as long as the reasoning is because of their religious beliefs."

Does that extend to history as well?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

It will be exactly as bad as it sounds, that's the intended effect, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 19, 2019 at 2:27 pm)brewer Wrote: Hopefully it won't be as bad as it sounds, but I don't understand why this is even a thing.  

Yeah, it's not as bad as it sounds.  The actual bill says 'Assignment grades and scores shall be calculated using ordinary academic standards of substance and relevance, including any legitimate pedagogical concerns, and shall not penalize or reward a student based on the religious content of a student’s work'.  It doesn't say they can give wrong answers based on their religious belief and not be marked off for it.

As an example, suppose an exam question is 'Which element has the atomic number of 6?'  If a student answers, 'Carbon, because Jesus is Lord' she wouldn't be marked off.  If she answers, 'Lead, because Jesus is Lord', she would get marked off.  Religious content in your answers are immaterial as to whether the question is right or wrong.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I don't know who they think they're helping. Willful ignorance is no excuse. If you refuse to learn, you fail, and don't deserve a diploma.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(November 19, 2019 at 3:04 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I don't know who they think they're helping. Willful ignorance is no excuse. If you refuse to learn, you fail, and don't deserve a diploma.

There is nothing in the bill about willful ignorance.  What it says is that students' work won't be graded differently because of religious content. As long as they get the answer right, it won't change their grade if they sprinkle in words like 'Jehovah' or 'salvation' or 'nirvana'.  And - equally importantly - it won't change their grade if they don't include such words.

A right answer is a right answer irrespective of religious content.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Ok. I guess I should have read a little deeper. Sorry.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(November 19, 2019 at 3:50 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 19, 2019 at 3:04 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I don't know who they think they're helping. Willful ignorance is no excuse. If you refuse to learn, you fail, and don't deserve a diploma.

There is nothing in the bill about willful ignorance.  What it says is that students' work won't be graded differently because of religious content. As long as they get the answer right, it won't change their grade if they sprinkle in words like 'Jehovah' or 'salvation' or 'nirvana'.  And - equally importantly - it won't change their grade if they don't include such words.

Boru

But will religious content be taken into account by the people doing the grading? This appears to give them an opening.
(November 19, 2019 at 4:20 pm)brewer Wrote:
(November 19, 2019 at 3:50 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: There is nothing in the bill about willful ignorance.  What it says is that students' work won't be graded differently because of religious content. As long as they get the answer right, it won't change their grade if they sprinkle in words like 'Jehovah' or 'salvation' or 'nirvana'.  And - equally importantly - it won't change their grade if they don't include such words.

Boru

But will religious content be taken into account by the people doing the grading? This appears to give them an opening.

No. The law specifically prevents them from doing so.  The can neither reward nor punish a student for religious content. In fact, in the Snopes article, a hypothetical is given.  Suppose a student turns in an essay in biology class, claiming that the Earth is 10 000 years old and dinosaurs lived with people and all the other creationists nonsense.  That student WOULD receive a lower grade, because the essay doesn't reflect what's being taught in class.

Boru
(November 19, 2019 at 4:37 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 19, 2019 at 4:20 pm)brewer Wrote: But will religious content be taken into account by the people doing the grading? This appears to give them an opening.

No. The law specifically prevents them from doing so.  The can neither reward nor punish a student for religious content.

Boru

To a teacher with religion what is "calculated using ordinary academic standards of substance and relevance"?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No more contraceptives due to religious objections Foxaèr 6 454 July 9, 2020 at 7:20 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Ohio At It Again BrianSoddingBoru4 16 1014 December 1, 2019 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Nine killed in Dayton, Ohio EgoDeath 120 8587 August 14, 2019 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  So much about religious liberty Fake Messiah 14 1593 February 8, 2019 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The Jeff Sessions "Religious Liberty Task Force" Foxaèr 126 8066 August 6, 2018 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Ohio bans doctors from performing Down Syndrome abortions c172 234 30443 January 1, 2018 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Caught Another Jesus Phony in Ohio Minimalist 5 886 November 16, 2017 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Franklin Township Ohio To Reinstall Confederate Monument A Theist 95 16440 October 2, 2017 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Joods
  Active Shooter Situation at Ohio State Minimalist 123 12443 December 1, 2016 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: A Theist
  Very suspicious-looking "suicide" in Ohio Regina 10 2028 May 26, 2016 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Chad32