Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 9:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Jesus would rather kill, not marry, gay people" - Franklin Graham
RE: "Jesus would rather kill, not marry, gay people" - Franklin Graham
Quote:Thank you for the very clear examples of mischaracterizations, red herrings, and straw men arguments that you beat up on.  If you are incapable or don't care to even understand the other side, this automatically makes you ineligible to be part of the conversation. You are just unproductive/destructive noise. This is what is wrong in society today!
There is nothing to understand there is no other side just screeching horde of regressive bigots waving a book around

Quote:No one is trying to stop people from doing anything behind closed doors. The current issue is the redefinition of marriage. Given the belief structure of Christians (God ordained the relationship right from the beginning and everything that follows), you really can't see why they (as a group) have a problem with redefining the word 'marriage'? You could just disagree with this point, but no, that won't do. You want to characterize it as Christians trying to control what's going on in the bedroom because that's a straw man you feel you have a strong argument against. Another disingenuous trick is to find extreme view and then label everyone else with that view.
Yup because dictate in your big book of nonsense thus we don't care .And gays should not have to do it" behind close doors" And your opposition is ideological  bigotry and of story and there is no disagreement because not an opinion .

Quote:I'm editing this because the distinction is important. Homosexual orientation is not a sin.
Same difference if gays are not permitted to express those feelings or marry the person they love it might as well be a sin .

Quote:1. You want to dismiss the OT because we can eat shellfish today? You are failing to distinguish between moral laws and laws for managing a theocracy. Sodom and Gomorrah were centuries before any theocracy/laws. No moral laws of the OT have ever been set aside/abolished/sunsetted.
2. Your assumption that Paul and the OT writers had no sense of homosexuality as an enduring sexual orientation has no substance. There were whole cultures where such things were common. Sodom and Gomorrah obviously had wide open ideas on this issue. The reason it does not warrant a mention is that there are a hundred different ways to be oriented toward sin--which was clearly the focus and reason for the NT. What makes this one special? 
3. The divorce analogy is very weak. You can find millions of people that think divorce and remarriage is morally wrong. Personally I think unless there is infidelity or abuse, remarriage violates the command of Jesus. If you find examples of special pleading, take it up with that person/group. The Bible does not special plead. 
4.  Why would Jesus single out chattel slavery in the Galilean countryside while speaking to the poor and working class?  Slavery has multiple definitions and cultural/social aspects to unpack and is a red herring. "...and love your neighbor as yourself for all the laws hang on these..." seems pretty clear you can infer the morality of thousands of things that didn't apply to the audience or haven't been invented yet. The difference is that homosexual acts were singled out in the OT and the NT. Christian's can't ignore it, because a cafeteria Christian undermines their own system of belief--even if they don't realize it (as you are pointing out). 
5. I don't like many contemporary Christians. They have piss-poor theology and made a mess they can't reconcile.
6. Reminder: everyone is a sinner. Homosexual acts don't have a special place. 
7. An appropriate Christian response is to love the sinner, don't compromise on the sin, but let God deal with it--it's not our job to change people's lives. 

If you want to focus in on one or two responses for more discussion, NP, just let me know.

Long rant of excuse making for Steve's ideological bigotry
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Jesus would rather kill, not marry, gay people" - Franklin Graham - by Amarok - July 14, 2018 at 9:29 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It Must Kill These Baptist Shitballs. Minimalist 49 10080 April 17, 2018 at 5:53 am
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Atheists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 56 8605 November 18, 2017 at 6:11 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 8205 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  If Jesus is not true Sonah 41 9840 October 9, 2017 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  My dad wants me to marry another christian Der/die AtheistIn 40 9014 September 23, 2017 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Why Jesus is not the messiah. Creed of Heresy 59 15328 December 30, 2016 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: Egyptian
  Christians - even the Bible says that Jesus was not God so why do you say he was ? jenny1972 299 52151 November 3, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
Question "Thou shall not kill" commandment is hypocritical? pocaracas 92 19335 August 26, 2015 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Would this be all we need to prove God exists? Or would it require more than this? IanHulett 30 6290 January 21, 2015 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: watchamadoodle
  being told to kill myself by someone who supposedly believe in God mainethinker 266 46615 January 18, 2015 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Mental Outlaw