Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 3:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Thou shall not kill" commandment is hypocritical?
Question 
"Thou shall not kill" commandment is hypocritical?
So we have Moses, bringing "his people" from Egypt to Mt. Sinai where Jehova gives him the ten commandments...

And one of them is simply "you shall not murder", but... but... what did god do with all the plagues he sent down on Egypt, particularly the one with all the firstborns, if not murdering?

What sort of moral authority does such a being have to tell his "children" not to murder when that's exactly what he did a couple of pages back?!
RE: "Thou shall not kill" commandment is hypocritical?
And then he tells Moses to go and kill most of those guys because they had lost interest and started worshipping something else.

God murder is "different".
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 24, 2015 at 7:56 am)pocaracas Wrote: So we have Moses, bringing "his people" from Egypt to Mt. Sinai where Jehova gives him the ten commandments...

And one of them is simply "you shall not murder", but... but... what did god do with all the plagues he sent down on Egypt, particularly the one with all the firstborns, if not murdering?

What sort of moral authority does such a being have to tell his "children" not to murder when that's exactly what he did a couple of pages back?!

He's just calling them back. The definition of murder would be "kill someone without God's approval". Problem solved.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

He is very much the "do as I say, not as I do" type of abusive parent.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Yeah it's hypocritical
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(April 24, 2015 at 8:13 am)dyresand Wrote: Yeah it's hypocritical

Thanks for confirming [/thread]
Nonsense. Why should the same rules apply to us as to the createur of the universe?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(April 24, 2015 at 8:15 am)Alex K Wrote: Nonsense. Why should the same rules apply to us as to the createur of the universe?

Could he have done things differently?
Could he have gotten his people out of Egypt without killing anyone?
Could he *gasp* have prevented them becoming slaves in the first place?... Was he busy back then? Did the Egyptians pull a fast one?

Inquiring minds want to know!!
(April 24, 2015 at 8:20 am)pocaracas Wrote:
(April 24, 2015 at 8:15 am)Alex K Wrote: Nonsense. Why should the same rules apply to us as to the createur of the universe?

Could he have done things differently?
Could he have gotten his people out of Egypt without killing anyone?
Could he *gasp* have prevented them becoming slaves in the first place?... Was he busy back then? Did the Egyptians pull a fast one?

Inquiring minds want to know!!

All good questions which call into question whether God is the awesome guy we all usually think He is. However, the question in this thread is whether the commandment in question is hypocritical.

"Thou shall not kill" of the Old Testament is short hand for "thou shall not kill those Israelites whom the Jewish priestly and ruling class would find inconvenient to lose".

Anyone who do not fall in that definition can be killed so long as you can get away with it.

Remember the Ten Commandments comes from a petty local cult whose main purpose for existence was to inflate the egos of a petty local tribe and more securely ensconce a priestly and ruling class within that tribe.   It doesn't really consider anyone not of the tribe as potential addressees.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ignoramus 121 20854 March 5, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  "Jesus would rather kill, not marry, gay people" - Franklin Graham Foxaèr 724 63340 August 1, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  It Must Kill These Baptist Shitballs. Minimalist 49 8951 April 17, 2018 at 5:53 am
Last Post: GUBU
  The Missing Commandment FebruaryOfReason 12 2734 February 28, 2016 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  being told to kill myself by someone who supposedly believe in God mainethinker 266 40415 January 18, 2015 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Mental Outlaw
Exclamation Mullah rapes 10 year old, family want to kill child... Mr Greene 38 6674 July 26, 2014 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
Video Will The Internet Kill Religion? Diamond 83 13834 April 18, 2014 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Why order people to kill in god's name at all? Chad32 29 7366 February 18, 2014 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Godscreated
Tongue How many religious people obey this commandment? Big Blue Sky 20 7545 June 3, 2013 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  hypocritical Christians complaining about islamic infiltration of the school system Ziploc Surprise 34 14161 November 3, 2012 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise