Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My dad wants me to marry another christian
My dad wants me to marry another christian
He called me today so we can speak. He told me many things about what I should and shouldn't do later in life. At some point, he told me that my future husband must be christian, it doesn't matter the denomination. 
This is hypocrisy, my dad doesn't believe in Hell, and he told me years ago that other religions aren't worse than ours. 
I'm in the closet atheist, and I would prefer to marry a nonebeliever like me. Yes, two persons with different religions, or a religios and a nonreligious person can get married and be happy, but I do think that atheism is right. I see other beliefs as wrong, and I don't claim otherwise, so I'm not a hypocrite, unlike my dad.
Dad insists so much sometimes about me marrying a man, I'm lucky I'm not a lesbian. I'm pretty sure he would accept me, or at the very least tolerate me if I was asexual and/or aromantic, since society doesn't usually discriminate against those kind of people, not in Europe at the very least. The thing is, I'm not entirely sure about my sexuality. I never had a crush, not a serious one at the very least, but I do feel some kind of attraction towards males, I'm not sure about girls, though. I've had fantasies about being with both boys and girls, I didn't ask for those fantasies, they sympli happened. The idea of dating an intersex person doesn't disgust me. Also, I don't know if I would like dating a transgender or non-binary person, I don't have anything against them, I sympli don't know if I am romantically or sexually attracted to them. I don't know if I'm bisexual, bi-curious, pansexual, or something else.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: My dad wants me to marry another christian
Identifying as something is one thing... Not knowing what you're attracted to by now is unusual (to me)... What do your hormones say?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(September 16, 2017 at 9:21 am)ignoramus Wrote: Identifying as something is one thing... Not knowing what you're attracted to by now is unusual (to me)... What do your hormones say?

My hormones say that a boy would be a great partner, I don't know if I'm attracted to girls or just curious, and I don't know about transgenders and non-binary.

Charlie Chaplin
Yep. No prob.

Try to find someone that YOU like, not have them picked for you... Not so easy in some countries, I know.
Good luck.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
It's possible that you asexual, or even romantic asexual. Or pansexual. Or it might change over time. Either way your dad has no say about who you marry or fall in love with. What's important is that you find happiness and find the right person for you.
(September 16, 2017 at 9:31 am)ignoramus Wrote: Yep. No prob.

Try to find someone that YOU like, not have them picked for you... Not so easy in some countries, I know.
Good luck.

Thank you! I live in Romania Europe, I will move to Vienna. There it wouldn't be so hard to pick someone I like.

Charlie Chaplin
(September 16, 2017 at 9:01 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: He called me today so we can speak. He told me many things about what I should and shouldn't do later in life. At some point, he told me that my future husband must be christian, it doesn't matter the denomination. 
This is hypocrisy, my dad doesn't believe in Hell, and he told me years ago that other religions aren't worse than ours. 
I'm in the closet atheist, and I would prefer to marry a nonebeliever like me. Yes, two persons with different religions, or a religios and a nonreligious person can get married and be happy, but I do think that atheism is right. I see other beliefs as wrong, and I don't claim otherwise, so I'm not a hypocrite, unlike my dad.
Dad insists so much sometimes about me marrying a man, I'm lucky I'm not a lesbian. I'm pretty sure he would accept me, or at the very least tolerate me if I was asexual and/or aromantic, since society doesn't usually discriminate against those kind of people, not in Europe at the very least. The thing is, I'm not entirely sure about my sexuality. I never had a crush, not a serious one at the very least, but I do feel some kind of attraction towards males, I'm not sure about girls, though. I've had fantasies about being with both boys and girls, I didn't ask for those fantasies, they sympli happened. The idea of dating an intersex person doesn't disgust me. Also, I don't know if I would like dating a transgender or non-binary person, I don't have anything against them, I sympli don't know if I am romantically or sexually attracted to them. I don't know if I'm bisexual, bi-curious, pansexual, or something else.

Sounds like asexual to me to be honest.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(September 16, 2017 at 9:39 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(September 16, 2017 at 9:01 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: He called me today so we can speak. He told me many things about what I should and shouldn't do later in life. At some point, he told me that my future husband must be christian, it doesn't matter the denomination. 

Sounds like asexual to me to be honest.

I didn't say that I'm not sexually attracted to anybody, I said that if I were I wouldn't be discriminated against. I do feel sexually attracted to boys, but I don't know about girls or other identities.

Charlie Chaplin
Religion has always been a minor concern for me when selecting a mate. There are so many other things to consider. 

But then I've never been attracted to one with bat shit crazy religious tendencies. Is that my own personal natural selection at work?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I've been with two women who, unless they were shitting me, hadn't experienced orgasms. I believe some number of women manage to grow up without ever discovering this capacity of their body. Seems weird to a guy. So, if you are such a woman, rather than worry about who or what you are, I'd advise you to simply experiment with pleasure. Take matters into your own hands and see where it goes.

But probably I am way off base. More importantly, depending on how dependent you are with your parents, I'd thank them for their concern but insist that they not worry about what is really your business.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3494 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  11-Year-Old College Grad Wants to Pursue Astrophysics to Prove God’s Existence Foxaèr 49 6864 August 2, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  "Jesus would rather kill, not marry, gay people" - Franklin Graham Foxaèr 724 63335 August 1, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  My dad made me laugh unintentionally Der/die AtheistIn 16 5946 January 2, 2018 at 2:12 am
Last Post: Athene
  If "god" wants to talk to me... [new video] robvalue 55 8156 February 23, 2017 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Drich
  I sorta feel like I didn't live up to my Dad's expecatations NuclearEnergy 22 2280 January 2, 2017 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Should people marry? It seems that God would forbid it. Greatest I am 11 2690 December 22, 2014 at 5:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Prospect: god wants me to play for Seattle Tonus 4 1264 February 24, 2014 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Now a Hindu Group Wants a Monument at the Oklahoma Capitol Gooders1002 45 10695 December 15, 2013 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Muslim cleric wants Canadian women to cover up to prevent rape. Ziploc Surprise 5 2818 July 21, 2012 at 9:42 am
Last Post: toro