Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 4:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Jesus would rather kill, not marry, gay people" - Franklin Graham
RE: "Jesus would rather kill, not marry, gay people" - Franklin Graham
(July 16, 2018 at 11:15 am)Astreja Wrote:
(July 16, 2018 at 9:07 am)SteveII Wrote: The belief is:

1. Marriage was ordained between a man and a woman from the beginning--with no ambiguity.
2. Sexual immorality is sex outside of marriage.
3. Sexual immorality is a sin.
4. Homosexual activity is outside of marriage (from 1)
5. Homosexual activity is a sin (from 2 and 3).

Getting 'hatred' from that takes a special kind of anger.

Well, you're trying to use your beliefs on me, and disrespecting my desire to live a life free of religion.  At very least you should have the courtesy to not call my sexual expression "sinful."  Think it all you want, but if you have the audacity to repeatedly say it publicly where I can hear it, I am going to repeatedly call you out as a homophobic bigot.

NO. I am not trying to "use my beliefs on you". Do whatever you want. Fine, you don't want to be told you are a sinner according to another belief system. I understand that. But the fact is that that belief system exists and you must co-exist with it. Labeling everyone who tries to follow the Bible as best they can as 'hateful' just does not follow. You infer hatred using faulty logic:

1. There are people who believe in God and that the Bible is his revelation (belief is based on many different types of reasons)
2. The Bible teaches homosexuality is a sin
3. I don't believe the Bible or in the concept of sin.
4. Anyone who does is hateful. 

It's a non sequitur. Of course there are bigoted people that use the cover of religion for their hatred. But the hatred does not follow from the belief. In fact one of the primary points of the entire NT is to Love your neighbor as yourself. 

I feel badly that your experiences have led you to this conclusion. My whole point in getting involved in this thread was to dial back the generalizations, mischaracterizations, and straw men. We still disagree, but the angry rhetoric and demonization has to stop because it is counter-productive. 

Quote:

(July 16, 2018 at 9:55 am)SteveII Wrote: Even back in whatever culture you might find a mention, the concept that it was different would still be clear. You cannot argue that traditional marriage was not one of the primary pillars of every culture. There is no argument that could be made that the few cultures that allowed open same-sex relationships viewed them on par with traditional marriage within the fabric of their society.

There is nothing wrong with changing traditions or throwing them away completely, Steve.

Perhaps. But who should change a definition older than history itself? 5 people?

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Jesus would rather kill, not marry, gay people" - Franklin Graham - by SteveII - July 16, 2018 at 12:10 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It Must Kill These Baptist Shitballs. Minimalist 49 9195 April 17, 2018 at 5:53 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Atheists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 56 7582 November 18, 2017 at 6:11 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 7881 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  If Jesus is not true Sonah 41 9161 October 9, 2017 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  My dad wants me to marry another christian Der/die AtheistIn 40 8475 September 23, 2017 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Why Jesus is not the messiah. Creed of Heresy 59 14327 December 30, 2016 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: Egyptian
  Christians - even the Bible says that Jesus was not God so why do you say he was ? jenny1972 299 45833 November 3, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
Question "Thou shall not kill" commandment is hypocritical? pocaracas 92 18237 August 26, 2015 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Would this be all we need to prove God exists? Or would it require more than this? IanHulett 30 5720 January 21, 2015 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: watchamadoodle
  being told to kill myself by someone who supposedly believe in God mainethinker 266 42148 January 18, 2015 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Mental Outlaw