Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 9:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Jesus would rather kill, not marry, gay people" - Franklin Graham
RE: "Jesus would rather kill, not marry, gay people" - Franklin Graham
(July 25, 2018 at 4:00 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(July 25, 2018 at 3:39 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Fine.  Then you are arguing that an institution enforced by prejudice should be maintained because prejudice is good, n' stuff.  Overruled!

What happened to the 10,000 years argument?  You know Steve, if you didn't jettison portions of the argument simply because they've become inconvenient and blithely sail on to the next safe harbor, people would be more likely to believe you when you say you're not a bigoted fuckhead.

Note the bold. I'm not dropping the 10,000 year argument--that's gold. 

Fine, then the equivocation charge is reinstated, as well as the charge that you're making shit up that you can't possibly know.

(July 25, 2018 at 4:00 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(July 25, 2018 at 3:39 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Wikipedia says the following about the appeal to tradition, "Appeal to tradition (also known as argumentum ad antiquitatem, appeal to antiquity, or appeal to common practice) is an argument in which a thesis is deemed correct on the basis that it is correlated with some past or present tradition. The appeal takes the form of "this is right because we've always done it this way." ... An appeal to tradition is only a fallacious argument in itself if the argument is not developed further, for example by pointing out that the widespread acceptance of the practice means that there would be significant implications/disruption/cost involved in abandoning the tradition."  It seems that at every turn, even if the discussion turned to a more substantial discussion of changing the institution as such and whether such is desirable, you've managed to turn it back toward a rather hollow 'mere' appeal to tradition.  If people don't buy your argument and think you're likely a prejudiced cunt and a wanker, I think you have only yourself to blame.  As presented by you, the argument from tradition is simply a non-starter.

Not making an appeal to tradition. That would apply if I was against any type of gay family structure (I'm not). An appeal to tradition does not apply to a preference to a longstanding definition--because it's not an argument--it's a matter of fact that I prefer does not change.

Fine. Then it's just your preference. Nobody gives a shit about your preference unless it rests on a rational foundation. If this is just your preference, then fuck off.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Jesus would rather kill, not marry, gay people" - Franklin Graham - by Angrboda - July 25, 2018 at 4:06 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It Must Kill These Baptist Shitballs. Minimalist 49 10080 April 17, 2018 at 5:53 am
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Atheists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 56 8605 November 18, 2017 at 6:11 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 8205 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  If Jesus is not true Sonah 41 9840 October 9, 2017 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  My dad wants me to marry another christian Der/die AtheistIn 40 9014 September 23, 2017 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Why Jesus is not the messiah. Creed of Heresy 59 15328 December 30, 2016 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: Egyptian
  Christians - even the Bible says that Jesus was not God so why do you say he was ? jenny1972 299 52151 November 3, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
Question "Thou shall not kill" commandment is hypocritical? pocaracas 92 19335 August 26, 2015 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Would this be all we need to prove God exists? Or would it require more than this? IanHulett 30 6290 January 21, 2015 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: watchamadoodle
  being told to kill myself by someone who supposedly believe in God mainethinker 266 46615 January 18, 2015 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Mental Outlaw