Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 6, 2026, 1:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Why I don't believe in 'free will'
#22
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will'
(May 28, 2009 at 12:08 pm)athoughtfulman Wrote: What I'm saying at least, is that the reason for choosing either the ravioli or steak are completely beyond you. There are thousands upon thousands of things which affect this choice, which cause it to be thousands of times less free than you think. From the last time you ate, to your mood, to what's easier to cook, to your emotions, to your hydration levels, to the chemicals in your brain, to what you had last night and the night before, and so on.

I would agree with that. But I could argue that all these conditions are part of me and I'm using my free will to make a decision based upon all available information. Also, if it were as simple as that why have I yet to decide?

Quote:The point being that for every choice, there is next to infinite amount of reasons and choices/causes which lead you to making that choice. So instead of being completely free to choose between the steak or the ravioli, you are left with the illusion of that choice. What makes you decide one or the other is beyond both you and me.

There will always be a reason why someone chooses one course of action over another. The question for me is, can that choice be predicted based on the laws of cause and effect or is there some random element intervening as well?

Quote:Each choice you 'make' affects the next choice. But every choice is affected by thousands of things that we can't control. From other people, to other things, and so on. If you have a mind which can comprehend everything, then you might have some idea of what it actually feels like to be truly free. But really, we are all victims of our past, our genetic makeup, and our current state of mind.

Any choice, regardless of how tiny and ineffectual, was made under the influence of thousands of other things, hence the choice was not 'freely' chosen, but rather influenced by the thousands of other things.

Although we go through our lives like robots most of the time, predictably making decisions that we are unaware of the process behind I still think that we do have the ability to override this automated system with our innate sense of self.

Again, this is just how it seems to me and I have no evidence..
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Reply



Messages In This Thread
Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Edwardo Piet - May 27, 2009 at 11:52 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 27, 2009 at 12:40 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Samson - May 27, 2009 at 1:40 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 27, 2009 at 1:47 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Samson - May 27, 2009 at 1:52 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 27, 2009 at 2:11 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 27, 2009 at 5:11 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Tiberius - May 27, 2009 at 5:37 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 27, 2009 at 6:08 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 4:16 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 3:20 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by infidel666 - May 28, 2009 at 7:51 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 9:12 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 11:55 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 12:26 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by infidel666 - May 28, 2009 at 2:33 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 2:40 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by leo-rcc - May 28, 2009 at 3:57 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 6:07 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 6:36 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 6:48 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Tiberius - May 28, 2009 at 7:01 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 7:09 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Tiberius - May 28, 2009 at 9:30 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by infidel666 - May 29, 2009 at 12:28 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by lrh9 - May 29, 2009 at 12:51 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Tiberius - May 29, 2009 at 9:01 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 30, 2009 at 3:33 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 30, 2009 at 8:48 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 30, 2009 at 9:08 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 30, 2009 at 9:32 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 30, 2009 at 10:10 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 30, 2009 at 10:58 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Tiberius - May 30, 2009 at 11:18 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This atheist is embarrassing, and I don't like her. Here's why. Twiggy 22 1792 August 29, 2026 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Free COVID tests again awty 6 1650 December 13, 2023 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: awty
  Looking for free online platform? franzis 6 2171 May 13, 2023 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: awty
  Restaurant to eat free for a year Fake Messiah 6 2093 January 17, 2023 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 2267 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: awty
  Why don't we name tornadoees like hurricanes? Jackie 19 5440 April 26, 2020 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  One of the tragedies of free will purplepurpose 0 771 November 20, 2018 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Free speech issue, again.... Foundy 32 7972 December 24, 2017 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Free speech issue... ƵenKlassen 34 10368 December 4, 2017 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Dreaming is free,.....and evidence free... Jackie 6 2572 October 2, 2017 at 4:29 am
Last Post: ignoramus



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)