Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I don't believe in the illusion of self awareness.
Why I don't believe in the illusion of self awareness.
The very fact that I am wondering whether I am self aware or not is proof in itself that I do exist because if I don't, who is doing the thinking?

Je pense donc je suis René Descartes
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Why I don't believe in the illusion of self awareness.
Well, I think that:

You are thinking.

I just know of no evidence that when you think that you chose it somehow. Or that when you make a choice that you had any choice in the matter. As far as I'm concerned it's just physics and you have no control over it. Whether you believe you do or not is not evidence.

If belief in free will is reason to believe in free will then that's circular reasoning.

Why believe your thoughts are chosen or that you have free will? Yes you think - of course. Yes you 'do stuff' - of course. That you 'choose' this freely rather than simply believing it though...that you have free will... where's the evidence of that? What reason do you have to believe that?

Whether you simply call it making a choice or not is not evidence that you actually do have a choice. Belief in 'free will' or free choices is not reason to believe in the truth of them. Because as I said - that's circular reasoning.

EvF
This thread is about me not believing in the illusion of self awareness and is not about free will. Would you like me to move your post over to the free will thread?
Ok...I thought it was like a response to my thread because I thought I read on my thread that you were doing a thread in response to mine.

I don't believe in the illusion of self awareness either.

EvF
We agree Big Grin
Yes. I believe I am self aware Smile (on account of my self-awareness lol).

EvF
Well, I never know with you Wink
Lol Smile

EvF

EDIT: My Two Thousand Eight Hundred and Seventy Fifth post! Alert! Lol - I like that number it looks nice...I dunno why, I just do:

2875 - looks cool I think Wink

3000 here we come! - Relatively soon probably and hopefully lol Wink Smile

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why don't we name tornadoees like hurricanes? Brian37 19 1689 April 26, 2020 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 754 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Low self esteem, feelings of worthlessness, and lack of purpose Catholic_Lady 63 9075 August 2, 2017 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Self Wipe Toilet Tissue Aid KUSA 112 32978 May 13, 2017 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Real world example of "I don't even know what I don't even know" ErGingerbreadMandude 24 3923 January 25, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Self-Identities as a Mermaid Neo-Scholastic 15 1969 January 18, 2017 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Happy Bisexual Awareness Day! BrokenQuill92 86 9011 September 24, 2016 at 3:46 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The-Boring-Self-Absorbed-Rambely-Bullshit-Thread Edwardo Piet 38 5441 April 19, 2016 at 2:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Someone told me to kill myself twice today, I don't know why it's been bothering me Phosphorescent Panties 48 5856 April 12, 2016 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why I don't like expensive things.... Brian37 31 5314 March 17, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Joods