Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2026, 4:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Virginia Governor to Resign over blackface pictures?
#31
RE: Virginia Governor to Resign over blackface pictures?
(February 13, 2019 at 4:37 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Oh I know right, it's so incredibly presumptuous of me to assert that blackface might be offensive.   Jury's still out on that.
Times change and standards and mores change.  For the better, we hope, but no guarantees.
There was a time when many black performers themselves performed in blackface.

Where and when I grew up, the word "queer" used to be considered as offensive as what most people these days refer to as "the N-word".  Yet I hear the "Q-word" on the radio nearly every day, even on NPR.

There are people I know right now who would consider your earlier comment:

"Hell, michael jackson dressed like micheal jackson without blackface."

...to be racist.  I don't, because I considered it in the context in which it was made.

If 30-40 year old mistakes are only to be judged out of context by contemporary standards, and if every mistake is a life sentence, then we should all be locked up for the duration.
-- 
Dr H


"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Reply



Messages In This Thread
RE: Virginia Governor to Resign over blackface pictures? - by Dr H - February 13, 2019 at 7:41 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scott Morrison: Australia PM faces backlash over 'blessed' disability remark Duty 11 3536 April 22, 2022 at 4:32 am
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Christianity as religious institution in politics over islamic is sadly almost better Kimba02 3 1069 April 11, 2019 at 6:55 am
Last Post: Succubus
  Saudi Arabia is falling, It's all over WinterHold 37 10731 January 27, 2019 at 5:01 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Not My Governor Secular Elf 3 1313 November 30, 2018 at 12:10 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why does comb over Mussolini think he's king with unlimited powers? GODZILLA 9 2325 November 29, 2018 at 4:54 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why Do Republicans/Conservatives Bend Over Backwards for Companies? Jade-Green Stone 14 4202 November 28, 2018 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Bernie Sanders' "Medicare for All" plan is really expensive over a 10-year period.... Aegon 40 11651 September 22, 2018 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  So who do you think Comb Over Mussolini will nomiate? GODZILLA 15 4573 July 2, 2018 at 7:13 am
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Looks Like The Bromance Is Over Minimalist 31 7286 June 5, 2018 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Trump appointee shows his support for our troops, and is forced to resign. The Grand Nudger 6 1842 January 19, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)