Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 7, 2026, 12:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Why I don't believe in 'free will'
#44
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will'
Let me try approaching the concept of lack of belief in "free will" from another angle.

There are lots of people who think that it is a choice to be a gay person. Most gay people I know disagree. Then some theists respond, even so, it is still your choice whether or not to act on it. But aren't some people just biologically (nature) and/or experientially (nurture) prone to exercise more self denial than others? Don't you think it likely that "ex-gay" people get some kind of reward out of that self denial that more than compensates for the cognitive dissonance they experience from their self-denial?

We could perform the same types of analyses for people who are overweight, or people who are into S&M. And however much these things seemed like choice some years ago, more and more we find that they have a biological cause, and less and less that things can be attributed to "free willl."

All I'm saying is that I see a trend developing. That's all. And while I decline this excellent opportunity to leap to the conclusion that there really is no such thing as self control, I certainly don't discount that possibility. At least, I'd go so far as to say that the concept of "free will," in the Biblical sense, is long gone out the window. May I have an "Amen" on that?
Reply



Messages In This Thread
Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Edwardo Piet - May 27, 2009 at 11:52 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 27, 2009 at 12:40 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Samson - May 27, 2009 at 1:40 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 27, 2009 at 1:47 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Samson - May 27, 2009 at 1:52 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 27, 2009 at 2:11 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 27, 2009 at 5:11 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Tiberius - May 27, 2009 at 5:37 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 27, 2009 at 6:08 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 4:16 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 3:20 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by infidel666 - May 28, 2009 at 7:51 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 9:12 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 11:55 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 12:26 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by infidel666 - May 28, 2009 at 2:33 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 2:40 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by leo-rcc - May 28, 2009 at 3:57 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 6:07 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 6:36 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 6:48 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Tiberius - May 28, 2009 at 7:01 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 7:09 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Tiberius - May 28, 2009 at 9:30 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by infidel666 - May 29, 2009 at 12:28 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by lrh9 - May 29, 2009 at 12:51 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Tiberius - May 29, 2009 at 9:01 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 30, 2009 at 3:33 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 30, 2009 at 8:48 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 30, 2009 at 9:08 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 30, 2009 at 9:32 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 30, 2009 at 10:10 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 30, 2009 at 10:58 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Tiberius - May 30, 2009 at 11:18 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This atheist is embarrassing, and I don't like her. Here's why. Twiggy 22 1802 August 29, 2026 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Free COVID tests again awty 6 1650 December 13, 2023 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: awty
  Looking for free online platform? franzis 6 2175 May 13, 2023 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: awty
  Restaurant to eat free for a year Fake Messiah 6 2097 January 17, 2023 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 2273 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: awty
  Why don't we name tornadoees like hurricanes? Jackie 19 5450 April 26, 2020 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  One of the tragedies of free will purplepurpose 0 772 November 20, 2018 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Free speech issue, again.... Foundy 32 7982 December 24, 2017 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Free speech issue... ƵenKlassen 34 10369 December 4, 2017 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Dreaming is free,.....and evidence free... Jackie 6 2575 October 2, 2017 at 4:29 am
Last Post: ignoramus



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)