Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 6, 2026, 7:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Why I don't believe in 'free will'
#46
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will'
(May 28, 2009 at 9:30 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(May 28, 2009 at 7:09 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I'm not going to believe on 'faith'. I need a rational reason to believe - I need evidence.
As I explained to you last night (and I seem to remember you agreeing with me), evidence isn't the only example of rational reasoning. There is no evidence that 1 + 1 = 2, but we believe it because maths works better when that holds.

Philosophy and logic cannot possibly have evidence for them, and this is a philosophical issue. Hence there is no evidence for either side. The rational reasons to believe are based on logic.

I didn't agree actually. I agreed that I cannot absolutely know these things. I'm agnostic on basically everything.....In that sense I'm philosophical.

I do expect evidence for a belief though. By evidence I mean in a very general way - I simply mean I need a valid reason to believe in something. If there's no valid reason to believe then why believe? If there is a valid reason to believe then that would have to be an indication of the truth of the belief - otherwise it wouldn't be valid. And if it's an indication of the truth of the belief then for me it is iow evidence. That is all I mean.

I need some indication that free will is true. By evidence I just mean that. A valid reason to believe in the truth of it - any whatsoever. If valid then it would iow count as some form of evidence, I would think?

(May 29, 2009 at 12:51 am)lrh9 Wrote: I believe that options equate to free will. (Especially when there are stimuli for more than one of the options.)

How couldn't options be there just as easily without free will? I know of no reason whatsoever to believe that options are an indication of free will. Options can be there and you can still 'act them out' without having any real choice in doing so. Without 'free will'. How would options make a difference?

I still need reason to believe in free will. Otherwise I don't see why on earth I would.

EvF
Reply



Messages In This Thread
Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Edwardo Piet - May 27, 2009 at 11:52 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 27, 2009 at 12:40 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Samson - May 27, 2009 at 1:40 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 27, 2009 at 1:47 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Samson - May 27, 2009 at 1:52 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 27, 2009 at 2:11 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 27, 2009 at 5:11 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Tiberius - May 27, 2009 at 5:37 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 27, 2009 at 6:08 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 4:16 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 3:20 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by infidel666 - May 28, 2009 at 7:51 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 9:12 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 11:55 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 12:26 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by infidel666 - May 28, 2009 at 2:33 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 2:40 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by leo-rcc - May 28, 2009 at 3:57 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 6:07 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 6:36 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 6:48 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Tiberius - May 28, 2009 at 7:01 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 28, 2009 at 7:09 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Tiberius - May 28, 2009 at 9:30 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Edwardo Piet - May 29, 2009 at 4:15 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by infidel666 - May 29, 2009 at 12:28 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by lrh9 - May 29, 2009 at 12:51 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Tiberius - May 29, 2009 at 9:01 pm
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 30, 2009 at 3:33 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 30, 2009 at 8:48 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 30, 2009 at 9:08 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 30, 2009 at 9:32 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 30, 2009 at 10:10 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Darwinian - May 30, 2009 at 10:58 am
RE: Why I don't believe in 'free will' - by Tiberius - May 30, 2009 at 11:18 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This atheist is embarrassing, and I don't like her. Here's why. Twiggy 22 1801 August 29, 2026 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Free COVID tests again awty 6 1650 December 13, 2023 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: awty
  Looking for free online platform? franzis 6 2173 May 13, 2023 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: awty
  Restaurant to eat free for a year Fake Messiah 6 2096 January 17, 2023 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 2273 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: awty
  Why don't we name tornadoees like hurricanes? Jackie 19 5445 April 26, 2020 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  One of the tragedies of free will purplepurpose 0 772 November 20, 2018 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Free speech issue, again.... Foundy 32 7980 December 24, 2017 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Free speech issue... ƵenKlassen 34 10368 December 4, 2017 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Dreaming is free,.....and evidence free... Jackie 6 2573 October 2, 2017 at 4:29 am
Last Post: ignoramus



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)