Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 9:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum....
RE: A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum....
(June 19, 2019 at 5:30 am)Belaqua Wrote:
(June 19, 2019 at 5:27 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: We can only guess at how much scientific progress may have been stifled 

Emphasis on "only guess."

There are plenty of examples of high-quality scientific or mathematical work being done with the support of the church. Even Galileo had elite support within the Vatican, which would have let him avoid trouble if he'd been the least bit diplomatic.

So OK -- history could have been better. But it's pure ideology to pretend that it's simply religion against science.

I thought I worded my statements to allow room for what you are saying. I know that the church supported many important intellectual endeavors. I know there are two sides to the coin.

Islamic cultures (especially in the Golden Age) produced many great advancements. But such cultures frustrated free thinking... outlawed atheism... and I hold it very much against them. The Athenians (obvious contributors to the body of knowledge) executed Socrates, and I hold it very much against them. I think it's great that the church pursued science. But it doesn't excuse them for suppressing (out of fear and an urge to maintain dominance) ideas that were incongruent with their dogma.

Look at the ancient and medieval world and anti-intellectualism is everywhere. And everywhere it is wrong. It still rears its head in modern times, and still under the guise of service to Christ. I'm not about to excuse it now, and I'm not going to excuse it in the medieval period. The church weren't a bunch of sinister mustache-twirlers, true. But I think you give them too much credit.

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum.... - by vulcanlogician - June 19, 2019 at 6:04 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing I saw on a site that I want to comment on ShinyCrystals 5 409 March 21, 2024 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
Information The worst thing according to Iranians Eclectic 2 873 September 19, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  Theocracy on the way Spongebob 94 6160 January 19, 2022 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 1014 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 3039 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists. Does life uh... find a way? Richimorto 6 1012 July 29, 2020 at 12:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  A possibly new perspective on this thing that we know as God. unityconversation 157 15285 March 18, 2020 at 1:08 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  The Nice Thing About Being An Atheist JackRussell 83 28050 July 21, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  The only way I could believe ....... Brian37 16 3525 April 28, 2017 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Losing my religion was the best thing that ever happened to me. Mechaghostman2 30 6117 November 6, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus