Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 5:24 pm

Poll: How interesting/important is theology to you?
This poll is closed.
Very
20.00%
3 20.00%
Somewhat
46.67%
7 46.67%
Not really
0%
0 0%
Not at all
33.33%
5 33.33%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What value do you see in studying theology in concerns to Christianity?
RE: What value do you see in studying theology in concerns to Christianity?
(September 6, 2019 at 9:50 am)Chad32 Wrote:
(September 6, 2019 at 9:01 am)Acrobat Wrote: I’d be all for that course. I do wonder how such class would handle anthropological works like Rene Girards Violence and the Sacred, that explores sacrifice mythologies. The problem with such works is that they indicate a distinct aspects of the Christian myth that separates it from earlier mythologies. In early mythologies the  guilt of the mob, and the people who put the victim to death is concealed, along with innocence of the victim, operating in the way scapegoating psychology works.

While the Christian myth flips this on its head, exposing the guilt of the mob, and the innocence of the victim, it’s an anti-scapegoating myth.

Such works, are favorable to Christianity, but I wonder how people would feel if they’re child was in a course that might inadvertently favor one particular religious view over other the other.

It’s also unlikely that teachers personal beliefs don’t leak out unto the course, if teachers hold a naturalistic view of religion that might inadvertently favor one religion over the other, or even favor religion over non-religion, and that influences non-religious children to consider being religious, I would think it could be problematic?

I think  many atheists think that a naturalistic account of religion favors disbelief, but that’s only because many of them have half-backed naturalistic explanations for it, where religion is treated like a proto-science, but as I see it, the effect of sound naturalistic account undermines disbelief.

I'm not sure how Jesus' sacrifice is anti scapegoating. The crimes of the guilty are passed onto an innocent sacrifice, because people think murdering the innocent will absolve them of sins. I thought that was the whole point of scapegoating.

Because the myth requires a recognition of collective guilt. It's because of our sins that Jesus an Innocent man died, the myth goes. 

Scapegoating as a psychological phenomena, that the early myths exemplify, is the concealing of guilt, the concealing of sin, the concealing of the wrongness of people scapegoating. The Jesus myth is declaration of that guilt that was concealed. 

The jesus myth, is like an anti-lynching tree. From the perspective of whites, the black victim of the lynching tree deserved it, they were justified in killing him. The black man is a classic scapegoat victim. In which they wipe their hands clean of the act. 

While the Jesus myth declares the blood on their hands, that the mob is guilty, and the victim is innocent.It's an inversion of a predominant mythology.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What value do you see in studying theology in concerns to Christianity? - by Acrobat - September 6, 2019 at 10:27 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 4158 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  What I see in the Bible is different then Jews and Christians. Mystic 8 2663 December 31, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How do atheists see Jesus' parables? drfuzzy 92 14851 November 3, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Let's see how many apologetics take the bait Joods 127 19061 July 16, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  He can see color!! Puh-raise Juh-heezus!!!! drfuzzy 15 2577 May 24, 2016 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Why can't I see the devil? KUSA 43 6065 April 1, 2016 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 7087 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  cannibalism and you (christianity) dyresand 58 16371 August 30, 2015 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Taste and see... daver49 19 4091 March 21, 2015 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: daver49
  Why should people not see this film? Aractus 47 10283 February 18, 2015 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: pgrimes15