Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 9:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will you do when GM goes all electric?
RE: What will you do when GM goes all electric?
(January 29, 2021 at 5:50 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(January 29, 2021 at 5:05 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote: You do make a point about electricity costs.  There isn't the generating capacity nor the electricity grid infrastructure to support every family charging one or two cars every night.  

Time-of-day pricing, and smart systems that spread load (i.e. tells each house system when to charge the car) can partly solve the problem, but I don't think it will work fully.

To environmentalists -- how is that "don't flood my river" and "no nuclear in my back yard" going?

So, I just checked it up.
Quote: According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, the average U.S. residential customer uses approximately 909 kWh per month of energy, or around 10,909 kWh per year.
The average gallon of gas puts out an average of 33.41 kWh. Doing the math, that’s less than a gallon of gas per day on average. That seems doable, and Given Biker’s apparent quest to be like Ron Swanson without any redeeming qualities, I can expect him to use less.

However, it just seems impractical and needlessly spiteful. And looking at the conclusion you reach that gas prices are going to go down to $1 per gallon and electricity prices are going to go 3-4 times higher than they are now, I have to admit: I don’t think it’s going to reach that point for a long time.

Even if GM is discontinues production on gas-powered light cars today (and not by 2035, like they actually announced) that still means that the gasoline-powered cars in operation are still going to be in operation, guzzling gas and contributing to the world’s carbon footprint and further depleting the global supply of oil until they break down, especially considering that I haven’t noticed any claims that other car manufacturers, like, for instance, Subaru or Volkswagen (or, fuck, the other two members of the Big Three, Chrysler and Ford), are doing the same. And given that advances in renewable energy are happening all the time (and even becoming less expensive), I’m not even convinced that in the time it takes for the vast majority of cars Americans drive to become electric, electricity prices are going to go up 200-300%.

It looks like, for all the talk you’ve given about supply and demand, you seem to have forgotten the whole “supply” aspect.

Where exactly is YOUR "clean energy" going to come from?

You aren't going to get it with windmills and solar panels - despite all the cheery, optimistic blathering we are deluged with......

Last year we used 4 TRILLION kilowatt hours in the US....

Do the.math..

FYI - A newer nuclear power plant with no problems can generate about 5,000,000 mwh if run 24/7/365....

See the scale of the problem yet?

Messages In This Thread
What will you do when GM goes all electric? - by onlinebiker - January 29, 2021 at 4:20 pm
RE: What will you do when GM goes all electric? - by Brian37 - January 29, 2021 at 4:53 pm
RE: What will you do when GM goes all electric? - by Brian37 - January 29, 2021 at 5:13 pm
RE: What will you do when GM goes all electric? - by onlinebiker - January 29, 2021 at 6:04 pm
RE: What will you do when GM goes all electric? - by brewer - January 29, 2021 at 9:53 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The other problem with electric vehicles onlinebiker 22 1526 August 19, 2021 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  When Darwin goes on a date with Karma ignoramus 4 272 April 19, 2021 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Pence goes on "Poor Me" tour.... Brian37 52 2177 May 13, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  A Saudi hit and run criminal breaks his electric ankle bracelet and flees America WinterHold 22 2797 April 15, 2019 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  One Trump Loving Confederate Asshole Goes Down In Flames Minimalist 25 3173 November 8, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Justin Trudeau Goes On American Television To Protest Trump's Tariffs Amarok 11 908 June 6, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Low-Tech device goes off at Port Authority Joods 12 1136 December 11, 2017 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  There goes Kevin Spacey's career (Sexual misconduct) Aroura 38 4747 November 14, 2017 at 8:50 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  U.S. Education goes further down the tube Foxaèr 9 1498 June 14, 2017 at 4:36 am
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  Bill Maher Goes After The Media Minimalist 4 686 June 4, 2016 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox