Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 12:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Questions for your Religious friends.
RE: Questions for your Religious friends.
@Angrboda

I'm not lying or being disingenuous, but you're entitled to your opinions.
I agree that numerous studies show the general population would see atheist (or muslims) as strong vocal advocates for their beliefs and are more likely to argue with them. That's what makes them dislikeable, not thee content of their beliefs.

I am not minimizing the reality or denying facts. I dislike active "Karens" far more than I dislike active atheists. I'm saying those facts you cited are not the same as the case you're making. You are playing the "Why do Christians hate us" card. I'm just here stating that I don't hate you. I disagree with you. If rational discourse can't be made on the topic, I'm happy to discuss other topics, but where our topic is religion it is diametrically opposed by definition. You'll have to forgive me for being human and desiring to get along with other people.
Some simple questions to resolve this:
1. Do you (you personally) feel hated by me personally?
2. Do you feel disliked by me personally?
3. Do you feel hated by Christians in general?
4. Do you feel disliked by Christians in general?
5. Do you believe I personally am representative of Christianity?
6. Do you hate or dislike me personally?
7. Do you hate or dislike Christians generally?
Then we take those answers and ask why.
I've answered you as to why I don't hate Atheists and why (with specifics to when) I dislike conversing with atheist. I feel I am a generic representation of Christianity within the group I am part of. If there are more questions you have, I'd be happy to answer them.

I've presupposed the why to some of your responces to those questions and why you ask that "Why do Christians hate atheists more than different believers?"

To answer you i've listed Pygmalion effect on both sides or cited several biases could be at play on either side like commitment bias, in-group bias or confirmation bias. I'm certain that your statistics and Agenda's are factually correct. But what are those studies actually measuring? It's dislike not hate. I dislike pedophiles, nazi's and most old people that drive. I dislike them for their actions. Atheism isn't an action, therefore I have no dislike of atheist generally. Those that want to take action on their beliefs I might have a problem with (depending on their actions individually). Similarly, I'm typically tolerated around here as long as I don't actively try to convert people.

(June 3, 2021 at 9:55 am)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(June 3, 2021 at 7:21 am)tackattack Wrote: Amazing research. You mean to tell me 2 diametrically opposed groups dislike each other? /sarcasm

I dislike arguing with atheist, but that doesn’t mean I dislike atheists. Both of those are a far cry from hating anyone. I’m certain non of the question in those studies was “do you hate atheist?”

Honestly I would expect a minority group of typically hyper-skeptical, opinionated, vocal nonconformists with axes to grind to be on the colder side of many social scenarios.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25590340/
Exactly my point... The angry atheist is a myth, as is the hateful Christian being straw-manned here. As I said above, the axis that aligns with my religious belief and every religious related opinion of the atheists on this forum is topically and diametrically opposed by definition. That doesn't mean I hate atheists for their religious opinions or want them to be quiet about them.

As for me being a bigot... well.. I'm not. You're still attributing a lot of hate to me that I'm simply not expressing anywhere. I'm biased, but I'm not the one obstinately or unreasonably holding a position or antagonizing anyone nor am I prejudicially ignoring your evidence. I'm simply offering a different, more direct line of questioning. Maybe if I suess-ify it it'll be clearer. Sorry if this is bad, I'm not practiced at it and I'm at work.

I do lumps atheists in one big pot
they're all people was my only thought
Atheists are no more in my mind
than anyone else when they're being unkind
When they open their mouths,
when they become hyper-skeptical, opinionated, non-conformists
They still don't make my naughty shortlist.
Everyone has an opinion and unique view
It's called perspective and I respect yours too
In your quest to vilify, don't deny
the timber in your own eye.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Messages In This Thread
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by no one - June 2, 2021 at 10:16 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by no one - June 2, 2021 at 10:29 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by no one - June 2, 2021 at 10:33 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by Brian37 - June 2, 2021 at 10:49 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by Angrboda - June 2, 2021 at 10:40 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by brewer - June 4, 2021 at 6:58 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by brewer - June 4, 2021 at 7:17 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by brewer - June 4, 2021 at 8:18 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by brewer - June 4, 2021 at 10:51 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by Angrboda - June 2, 2021 at 11:07 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by Angrboda - June 2, 2021 at 11:17 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by brewer - June 2, 2021 at 12:19 pm
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by brewer - June 3, 2021 at 6:25 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by brewer - June 3, 2021 at 6:46 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by brewer - June 3, 2021 at 7:18 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by brewer - June 3, 2021 at 7:29 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by brewer - June 3, 2021 at 8:47 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by tackattack - June 3, 2021 at 12:09 pm
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by Angrboda - June 3, 2021 at 12:18 pm
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by no one - June 3, 2021 at 7:25 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by no one - June 3, 2021 at 7:35 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by no one - June 3, 2021 at 7:47 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by no one - June 3, 2021 at 7:55 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by brewer - June 3, 2021 at 10:30 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by Brian37 - June 3, 2021 at 4:46 pm
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by no one - June 4, 2021 at 6:36 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by no one - June 4, 2021 at 6:54 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by zwanzig - June 4, 2021 at 7:35 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by no one - June 4, 2021 at 7:59 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by no one - June 4, 2021 at 10:02 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by no one - June 4, 2021 at 11:07 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by no one - June 4, 2021 at 11:44 am
RE: Questions for your Religious friends. - by no one - June 4, 2021 at 11:54 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Christian friends SeniorCitizen 12 1009 November 21, 2023 at 11:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Having religious friends when you're atheist Bahana 15 2750 March 10, 2019 at 1:37 am
Last Post: fredd bear
  What were your first questions? Sayetsu 51 7903 March 28, 2018 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  True Christian (TM) Answers Your Questions YahwehIsTheWay 43 9095 April 11, 2017 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  How religious or nonreligious is your family? Casca 44 4505 December 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: camlov2019
  Your experiences dating religious people Casca 28 4626 October 31, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7171 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Atheists: Can You Still Accept X'n Friends? Detachable 76 11410 August 12, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Jesster
  FB and Twitter/insta friends atheistinNYC 3 1071 November 30, 2015 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  AF friends, an opinion on Bible debate, please drfuzzy 25 5497 October 1, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: houseofcantor