Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How religious or nonreligious is your family?
How religious or nonreligious is your family?
My family never went to church, and never really talked about religion. I went a couple of times when I was 9, and realized I didn't believe in the stuff. When I went to New York, my dad never talked about religion or went to church, so it never really mattered.

When my dad married my second stepmother when I was fifteen, things changed dramatically. She was very religious (she thought the apocalypse was happening when 2000 hit), and swayed him to become so, but not overblown. He forced me to attend church with him once when I was sixteen, and I was so appalled by the experience I told him it was never going to happen again. He was disappointed, but respected my decision.

I moved out of the house when I was 19, and my dad divorced my second stepmother a year later (she turned all of the aggression she took out on me towards him). We were living in Delaware at the time, and he wound up moving back to New York. As the years went by, he changed into becoming the most wildly religious person in my life.

My wife is Agnostic, and my younger half brother (whom I haven't seen since I was 12) ended up Atheist as well.

How religious/nonreligious is your family?
Subscribe to Atheist News! Also, check out my latest video- Mass Effect Takes On Religion

https://www.youtube.com/c/AtheistNews
RE: How religious or nonreligious is your family?
My family is extraordinarily religious. That includes my extended family. My brother and I are the only ones who have broken away from the family hive-mind. At the very least, my parents are the only two people in the larger family who use their religious beliefs to be complete assholes about it. Everyone else plays nice about it.

While they aren't quite family yet, my boyfriend and his family are also very religious. They're also nice about it, so I don't mind. There's really no getting away from religion in this country, though.
My dad is something of a weak deist, and I believe I played a part in moving mom from milquetoast protestant to atheist. My youngest cousin is pretty much atheist, but I'm not so sure about the others nor my mom's extended family, and it doesn't really come up in conversations. My grandma just died, and I know she didn't believe in an afterlife because she said so, though she might have believed in some form of creator God. She first and foremost believed in keeping up appearances, but not enough to drag anyone in our family to church with her. No one in my immediate family now goes to church except for special occasions.Two of my dad's six siblings were staunch catholics, but their children aren't. That's western Europe for ya...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

"Load of bollocks."
- My father's entire commentary on religion
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
To answer the OPs question, I don't know. We never even talked about it.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 15, 2016 at 5:58 pm)abaris Wrote: To answer the OPs question, I don't know. We never even talked about it.

Yeah, right? That's why I can only try to vaguely guess the religious beliefs of 90% of my family.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

My family was religious growing up in kind of a mandatory way. We said prayer before meals in a forced manner and they shipped me off to bible studies one summer but that was really all we did but we considered ourselves Christian. When I was a teenager my step dad got it in his head that we should suddenly start going to church. I had already decided that I was atheist but since we weren't really religious I hadn't felt the need to discuss it until being forced to go to church. I went once. I cried so much I ended up being excused. Then my step dad thought it was funny to make fun of me by saying I couldn't go into the church for fear of my feet catching fire. He soon lost interest in church as well when it was more effort to get everyone to go than to just watch TV.

After my family fell apart when I was 17 everyone pretty much went atheist. My sister tends to date really religious guys and is really supportive of their religions but I doubt whether she really believes it. My husband is Roman Catholic but he is so laid back he doesn't do much with it. He doesn't follow many of their rules but he wears the St Anthony pendant (his patron saint) literally all the time, prays to himself over food, and will go to the church when he has a hard call while on the ambulance. He and I keep to ourselves about religion.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
A mix of agnostics and Protestants.

Not very religious.
Mother follows the 12-Stepper God. I never want for "inspiring" woo on Facebook.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
75/25. Wife is cafeteria catholic, then me and the two dogs. I'll let you decide where the percents belong.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1825 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2382 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Family not accepting you're an Atheist UniverseCaptain 45 5355 October 28, 2021 at 12:51 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Questions for your Religious friends. johndoe122931 100 5287 June 5, 2021 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Thanksgiving and Family BrokenQuill92 18 3149 December 7, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Your experiences dating religious people Casca 28 4429 October 31, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  I Walked Away From Christianity, but How do I Walk Away From My Family? Rhondazvous 14 2810 October 31, 2016 at 2:57 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7029 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Telling my family? CloverGrace 10 2059 August 28, 2016 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12755 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus