Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 4:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Is Christianity Inherently Supportive Of Slavery And Misogyny?
RE: Is Christianity Inherently Supportive Of Slavery And Misogyny?
(August 4, 2021 at 2:03 pm)tackattack Wrote: This is exactly the type of position I have a problem with " So it's illegal to covet a slave, but not illegal to own a slave.  How fucked up is that? " It's fucked up if that's what's going on but it's not. It's illegal to covet a slave, and you shouldn't have certain types of slaves and there is no statements as to the illegality of owning a slave and no dictate that you should have slaves (aside from an instance of prisoners of war). As @Angrboda pointed out the jocular phrase (misquoted to God). "That which isn't forbidden is permitted", or it's German opposite "everything which is not allowed is forbidden" , is about general power of competence. I'm aware of the historical and societal slavery you reference. The fact that it existed far before the Bible should just be another reason the Bible isn't the source of slavery. 

I don't believe there is nearly enough to work with to claim "that isn't what's going on".  Here we have god, Jehova, or whatever you want to call it, giving his chosen people 10 (not 1000 or 100) laws to live by.  One would think that these must be the best of the best, the highest priority, the cream of the crop.  Not only does he waste 4 of them on basically the same rule (I'm god and you better not forget it), but when he finally gets to the concept of slavery, he doesn't say "don't do it", he just says don't be envious of your neighbors cool slaves.  That silence on slavery says a tremendous amount about the culture and society from whence it came because, you know, we all know this stuff really came from some high priest and not god almighty, so the priest put down the things he or his lot felt were the most critical things.  Honestly, I need no further evidence that man is the author of this religion and this book.  No god worth his salt would have wasted one of the 10 most important rules on envying slaves.  At least Odin would have said if you envy your neighbor because he has slaves, then just kill the bastard and take the slaves for yourself!  Now that's a god!

And I never suggested the Bible was the source for slavery; it existed almost everywhere in ancient times.  But you have to admit that many a Christian has used Biblical arguments to defend slavery.  That doesn't actually condemn the Bible, but it sure makes you wonder again, if an all powerful god didn't like slavery, why wouldn't he just say so.  Nope, just don't be envious; that's really bad for the soul.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Christianity Inherently Supportive Of Slavery And Misogyny? - by Spongebob - August 4, 2021 at 2:21 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3958 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  You can be an immorale person and still promote christianity Kimba 12 1929 June 30, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Was Christianity started to control the masses and dictate poltical agendas GODZILLA 126 23185 April 17, 2018 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why is Christianity and Islam so widely practiced? NuclearEnergy 12 2579 November 20, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Dawkins and Christianity rjh4 is back 56 19799 August 22, 2017 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Why doesn't hell in Islam and Christianity have Cold as torture? Spixri 33 9615 April 7, 2017 at 10:05 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  17 y/o YouTuber faces years in jail for insulting Islam and Christianity wolf39us 38 8251 June 2, 2016 at 1:55 am
Last Post: Aractus
  What is with refusing to admit slavery is wrong? ReptilianPeon 99 23835 August 25, 2015 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Divinity
  God in Christianity and Islam parakletos 24 6834 November 12, 2014 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: parakletos
  New age religions that threatens Atheists and Christianity repentsinners 5 1936 November 24, 2013 at 11:47 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen