Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is with refusing to admit slavery is wrong?
What is with refusing to admit slavery is wrong?
Why do religionists refuse to condemn slavery? I hate arguments like "it was normal back then", "everyone else was doing it" or "so-and-so put rules in place to make sure slaves were well treated". Why can't they just admit the author(s) of their religious text(s) were influenced by moral relativism? Why is it so hard for so many people to say that slavery is wrong?

RE: What is with refusing to admit slavery is wrong?
Because cognitive dissonance.
Would you want to admit that you're a walking anachronism for believing that such an arrangement was sanctioned by your god or that your heroes and spiritual forebears were barbarians? I love watching modern believers, who claim their morality is objectively grounded in the nature and unchanging word of their god, instantly turn into the most craven of moral relativists to salvage their holy book and to save face.
They're afraid if they say something against the god of their bible, the she-bears will tear them to shreds.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
I see you haven't read my guide to interpreting scripture.

Well well well, Mr. Nomorepropaganda. The answer is genius in its simplicity.

It's metaphorical.

But totally ok because different times, but objective morality. Yeah. Or something.
Because they are assholes.
They're not allowed to say their god is wrong, so they have to make excuses. Though at best he did a half-assed job, focusing more on same sex adults making love than people being treated like chattel.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(August 14, 2015 at 5:19 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: I see you haven't read my guide to interpreting scripture.

Well well well, Mr. Nomorepropaganda. The answer is genius in its simplicity.

It's metaphorical.

But totally ok because different times, but objective morality. Yeah. Or something.

You should give people a link to your guide.  It really is good enough that it should be referenced with some frequency.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(August 14, 2015 at 5:49 pm)Chad32 Wrote: They're not allowed to say their god is wrong, so they have to make excuses.

Unless it's nigh on undeniable, hence their change on the Earth being flat, or the big bang happening.

Slavery is a moral problem, not necessarily a scientific one, so they can get away with not directly admitting they were wrong about it.
Wait...slavery is wrong?? M'butu's gonna be pissed....

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Christianity Inherently Supportive Of Slavery And Misogyny? BrianSoddingBoru4 335 22193 August 23, 2021 at 5:21 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1409 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Thumbs Down 11-Year-Old Genius Proves Hawking Wrong About God Fake Messiah 7 1122 April 16, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Dead people testify! We were wrong! ignoramus 12 1710 June 11, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  On the wrong tract............ Brian37 28 4861 December 16, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Little Embarrassed to Admit, But... Astonished 14 4233 August 21, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  I was wrong about the simple choice. Mystic 42 4949 January 3, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  If Life is Meaningless Anyway, then What's Wrong with Religion? InquiringMind 348 44137 October 2, 2016 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Information You must seek something else, or something is seriously wrong with you WinterHold 23 3382 August 7, 2016 at 7:52 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Why the religious will never admit you won the argument (and why they don't care) Veritas_Vincit 166 20292 June 30, 2016 at 1:00 am
Last Post: vorlon13