Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 3:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
People Behave Socially and 'Well' Even Without Rules
RE: People Behave Socially and 'Well' Even Without Rules
(January 19, 2012 at 3:52 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: If people form social circles so well without rules, then why do I and the other mods have to be constantly weeding out bad members?

I find this study deficient in that it doesn't study a real world group of greater numbers than a small tribe.

Games are easy to derive bullshit from. I know, I develop on them. And I can tell you that a LOT of it is contrived and mostly without innate value (as in, you don't have much to lose from it).

Yes. A friend in one of my philosophy groups was telling us about an online game where the evolved ethos is kill or be killed.

But this overlooks the underlying pattern, in which human groups gravitate toward stasis points, some violent, some peaceful. The human brain evolved over several million years in which the African continent was undergoing frequent and radical climate change and unrest. The human mind is an engine of change, adapting quickly to whatever the environment presents us with. In violent, changeful climate, behaviors adapted to flourishing under those conditions presents itself; if that environment changes, so does the behavior.

It might be more useful to look upon human behavior as a specific fitness landscape, with points of stability at various places on that landscape. Local minima and maxima. I doubt our species is in any sense fine tuned for a specific form of social organization or social fabric; I suspect there are multiple profitable points. (There's a beautiful section in Dawkins' The Blind Watchmaker in which he's discussing the mechanics of sexual selection in certain birds, and how male plumage in that species forms a whole family of individual tail lengths which the genetic machinery will gravitate toward, and that assuming that adaptation approaches a single, optimized point is to misunderstand the complex and nuanced behavior of genetic systems. The mathematics of evolution is far richer than the story book accounts of it that most people absorb from popular culture; there is enormous complexity just below the surface.)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: People Behave Socially and 'Well' Even Without Rules - by Angrboda - January 20, 2012 at 3:01 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without rape, most animal species would go extinct Alexmahone 34 4584 May 25, 2018 at 11:25 am
Last Post: sdelsolray
  47 days (!!!) without a poo, OMFG . . . . vorlon13 14 1236 March 10, 2018 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Damn, should I even be watching this show? vorlon13 13 2561 August 18, 2017 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Do you even science?!?! Jacob(smooth) 12 2417 March 2, 2015 at 11:28 am
Last Post: Jenny A
  Directionality in evolution without intelligent guidance tantric 25 5314 January 22, 2015 at 6:19 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Well....Whaddaya Know.... Minimalist 3 1450 October 7, 2013 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Well this seems like good news. downbeatplumb 0 841 July 3, 2013 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  'Afterlife' feels 'even more real than real,' researcher says pocaracas 5 2988 April 18, 2013 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Hen gives birth to chick without egg! downbeatplumb 13 6558 April 20, 2012 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hibernating bears' wounds heal without scars frankiej 6 2440 March 20, 2012 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas