Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 3:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can Christians not admit Christianity is all a pile of garbage when ...?
RE: How can Christians not admit Christianity is all a pile of garbage when ...?
(February 11, 2012 at 7:33 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Sure, but we shouldn't just use terms because they're fun.

Why not? What are you? A prude?

What's wrong with having a little fun?

No, I'm just kidding.

Of course, we should use words as best we can when writing serious documents and so forth. But gee whiz when it comes to goofing around on an internet forum things should be a little looser doncha think?

Actually I feel that I am using the term correctly, based on what we've already discussed, and you even agreed that there are many people who think of "Wicca" in animistic or psychological terms like I do and that this is not unique.

I'm actually interested in the concept of "emergent thought-forms" for this very reason. There are actually books and papers written by people who address the concept of "invoking spirits" as "thought-forms".

They claim that if you can use your imagination to create a powerful enough thought-form, that thought-form will indeed take on a spirit of its own.

This is kind of interesting to me because that's precisely what secular atheists claim we are. They claim that we are nothing more than an emergent thought-form.

Well, gee wiz, if we are nothing more than a thought-form that has emerged from our brain, then the idea that spirits can be invoked to arise as thought-forms within that same brain actually makes some secular sense.

This brings my attention to the concept of schizophrenia. What exactly is it? Is it a situation where two thought-forms arise within a single brain and neither of them is sure which one the brain belongs to?

And who would the brain truly "belong" to if it actually gave rise to two entirely different POVs who both thought of themselves as being the "real you".

Seems to me that it would make for some interesting conversations within that single brain.

So I have an interest in trying to invoke "spirits" via thought-forms in this way. I confess that I haven't succeeded yet. Maybe it requires a brain that is on the edge of schizophrenia?

Maybe this explains why for some people the concept of 'spirits' seem far more real than for other people.

As much as a spiritual essence to reality interests me, I must confess that I haven't yet been able to invoke a convincingly 'independent spirit'.

I do find myself referring to myself as "we" though.

Sometimes I'll think to myself, "What are we going to do now?"

Then I ask myself "What do you mean by we?"

And I'll answer, "I have no idea, I thought you said that".
Christian - A moron who believes that an all-benevolent God can simultaneously be a hateful jealous male-chauvinistic pig.
Wiccan - The epitome of cerebral evolution having mastered the magical powers of the universe and is in eternal harmony with the mind of God.
Atheist - An ill-defined term that means something different to everyone who uses it.
~~~~~
Luke 23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
Clearly Jesus (a fictitious character or otherwise) will forgive people if they merely know not what they do
For the Bible Tells us so!

Messages In This Thread
RE: How can Christians not admit Christianity is all a pile of garbage when ...? - by Abracadabra - February 11, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  questions Christians can't answer Fake Messiah 23 3510 October 15, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  [Serious] Do we have any female Christians left? If not, anyone is welcome to comment. Losty 34 3996 May 13, 2019 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: WolfsChild
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 9514 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How can you prove that the gospel of Mark is not the "word of god"? Lincoln05 100 14165 October 16, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 4860 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Is Christianity unique or not? Graufreud 88 9854 July 28, 2018 at 1:10 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  A quarter of British Christians do not believe in the resurection downbeatplumb 35 7572 April 14, 2017 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Christianity Can't Be True Because... pipw1995 75 13414 August 31, 2016 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Why do Christians believe in the Resurrection of Jesus but not alien abductions? Jehanne 72 13114 June 27, 2016 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 35672 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy