Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 25, 2024, 1:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Differentiating a religious experience/including hallucinations from a psyc disorder
RE: Differentiating a religious experience/including hallucinations from a psyc disorder
(March 20, 2012 at 2:04 pm)Hunter9035 Wrote: Ok Stimbo point taken. I suppose you could use the authority of Jesus Christ to summon your demons to reveal themselves in His name and see if anything manifests but with no faith in a higher power to protect you that's a dangerous game to play. That said, if you do, please explain what you experienced.

That was highly unrelated to Stimbos video (which is superb by the way, recommended watching for anybody).

Okay, Stimbo is too valuable to risk, so I retired to the bathroom and used this phrase.
I must confess to feeling a bit nervous, like the childhood game "Candyman" but you wouldn't enjoy a good horror movie if you weren't allowed a bit of irrational fear.

"I invoke the authority of Jesus Christ and demand my demons manifest"
Nothing happened, so I stared intently in the mirror and said again
"On the authority of Jesus Christ, Lord Almighty, I command my demons to show themselves"
Just in case I got the words wrong.

Looks like I'm demon free. I have tested your hypothesis and found no cause. It does occur to me however, if by coincidence, even a small thing happened, like a light dimming at that point, it would have scared the bejeeeeeezuz out of me Smile We're all subject to irrational fears, being human.

The danger, if you don't mind me saying, is more in the minds ability to play up to your own fears. If you wholeheartedly believe in demons and jesus, its not unreasonable to assume your mind will supply exactly what you expect.

I feel a bit silly now, but I thought it only fair to act test your idea out.

EDIT: I should also point out, it would be natural of you to be skeptical whether I have done, and I swear on my own childrens life I have done so, I can make no more solemn promise. If you are skeptical, you can at least now understand our skepticism.
(March 20, 2012 at 2:51 pm)Hunter9035 Wrote: Stimbo yes the video explains how two people who see the same thing can see different things or explain it away or call it supernatural whatever. Giving you my witnesses would not only violate their privacy but I doubt you'd really follow up with them or believe more hearsay. So I invite you to summon your demons in the name of Jesus Christ, to reveal themselves and tell me how you explain your experience. But I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have faith in Jesus to protect you from them.

See above. Sorry, nothing. I have to say, this preoccupation with demons is extremely worrying. Who fed you this? Because its not even mainstream Christianity to believe we all have demons inside of us like that. You seriously worry me that someone is taking extreme advantage of your personal traumas.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm

Messages In This Thread
RE: Differentiating a religious experience/including hallucinations from a psyc disorder - by NoMoreFaith - March 20, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frustrating Atheist Experience zwanzig 5 1336 July 18, 2021 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
Question How do you prove to everybody including yourself you're an atheist? Walter99 48 5818 March 23, 2021 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The Atheist Experience talk show by Matt Dillahunty and others Alexmahone 12 2807 December 6, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Experience of Atheists on Christian Forums Rhondazvous 29 6991 March 11, 2017 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Did anyone listen to atheist experience this week? Won2blv 12 4200 November 25, 2016 at 11:17 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 13009 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Atheists: have you ever had a religious experience and what did you make of it? tantric 110 18464 January 22, 2015 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Two consenting adults, including relatives? Chad32 99 19284 December 8, 2013 at 5:09 am
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  Handling the argument from personal experience max-greece 14 4147 November 16, 2013 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  The thrill of experience Creed of Heresy 11 2999 February 17, 2013 at 2:32 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy