Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 11:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome"
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome"

It may help to look at it from a different perspective. Try understand why and how a person is believing in the way they do. Are they insane? Only if you expand the definition of mentally deranged to the point that the concept is useless. They are quite sane in the normal sense. Are they dishonest? Some, perhaps, but most often only in the sense that we all are at times. We confabulate, that's what we do. When faced with a thing that demands an explanation, and an absence of such, the brain kicks in and fixes it for you. And this is only one mechanism. I strongly doubt many, except the few charlatans, are liars in the sense of self-consciously telling people things that they know to be untrue. Are they classically stupid or unintelligent? In general, no more so than anybody else; true, there is a skew, but the overlap of the distribution of intelligence among belief and disbelief is far greater than the disjunction; and we've all met clever apologists. If not liar or lunatic, are they then Lord? Eh, I rather doubt it, and I think we have good reason for disbelieving the veracity of their beliefs.

So what explains why and how they behave as they behave? We all have roughly the same brains, so the difference has to be largely one of different content. And it's not necessarily faulty content either. We all notice the cycle wherein a believer presents some evidence, finds it faulty, and simply returns to the well in hopes of finding a better explanation consistent with her prior belief, or, failing that, simply holds on in hopes of deliverance somewhere down the road. (See perseverance of belief.) But we all do similar things. We know that general relativity and quantum mechanics in their current form cannot be reconciled. Do we just abandon both as obviously wrong in some way? No, we try to preserve the truth by looking for ways to fix the problem.

And there's an even more fundamental question of why religious belief in the first place? It's an adaptationist myth that every feature has to justify itself in terms of function, but the truth remains that religion is ubiquitous. It's kind of like the old saying, paraphrased, "If religion didn't exist we'd have to invent it." And despite enormous variations in form and content, so much so that it's almost impossible to give a single all encompassing definition of what "religion" is, we all seem to know it when we see it. And patchwork explanations like, "religion exists to satisfy our need to explain things" and "religion helps us cope with our mortality" are just that, patchwork; none really holds up under scrutiny or anthropological analysis.

So just why do human brains do what they do in such a way that results in the phenomenon we know as religion? And how do they do it at the individual level?

As H.L. Mencken said, "Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong." This applies aptly to 99% of the explanations of why religions exist and why specific religious people think, act, believe, and behave as they do.

That left over 1% is what fascinates me.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Napoléon - July 14, 2012 at 8:40 am
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Skepsis - July 14, 2012 at 8:57 am
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Napoléon - July 14, 2012 at 9:09 am
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Simon Moon - July 14, 2012 at 11:20 am
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Napoléon - July 14, 2012 at 1:36 pm
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Colanth - July 16, 2012 at 6:47 pm
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Napoléon - July 16, 2012 at 7:37 pm
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Skepsis - July 14, 2012 at 9:45 am
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by padraic - July 14, 2012 at 8:08 pm
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Napoléon - July 15, 2012 at 5:18 am
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Annik - July 14, 2012 at 9:06 pm
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Cyberman - July 14, 2012 at 9:11 pm
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Jackalope - July 15, 2012 at 1:45 am
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Annik - July 15, 2012 at 1:48 am
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Angrboda - July 15, 2012 at 5:56 am
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Napoléon - July 15, 2012 at 10:47 am
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by ElDinero - July 15, 2012 at 5:57 am
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Rayaan - July 15, 2012 at 8:09 pm
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Napoléon - July 16, 2012 at 5:36 am
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by padraic - July 16, 2012 at 8:01 pm
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Napoléon - July 16, 2012 at 8:06 pm
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by jonb - July 16, 2012 at 8:44 pm
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Angrboda - July 16, 2012 at 9:01 pm
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by jonb - July 17, 2012 at 9:33 am
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Angrboda - July 17, 2012 at 9:58 am
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Napoléon - July 17, 2012 at 11:57 am
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Napoléon - July 17, 2012 at 6:15 pm
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Gambit - July 17, 2012 at 9:56 am
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by jonb - July 17, 2012 at 1:28 pm
RE: I think I have "Dillahunty Syndrome" - by Napoléon - July 18, 2012 at 7:16 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Atheist Experience talk show by Matt Dillahunty and others Alexmahone 12 2803 December 6, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Have you ever actually heard an response that made you stop and think? jmoney_419 32 5605 September 23, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Atheist Debates Project - Matt Dillahunty LadyForCamus 54 10160 September 6, 2016 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Naturalism explained by Matt Dillahunty mralstoner 0 968 January 10, 2016 at 4:32 am
Last Post: mralstoner
  Matt Dillahunty's great argument against some people who deny Evolution Heat 1 2311 November 11, 2015 at 4:12 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why I think theists who think atheists are going to hell are full of shit. Whateverist 11 3096 April 27, 2014 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Thank you all. I have lost so much. I have gained much more. Mr. Moncrieff 30 7252 March 6, 2014 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  do you think people who believe in god have a underlying mental illness or symptom? leodeo 14 4253 January 18, 2014 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  ever think that parents kinda have it rough?? leodeo 7 2114 January 14, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  Dillahunty pwns logical fallacies. feeling 10 4080 December 14, 2013 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan